Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DemonSlayer

About ZDoom

Hey, what's this ZDom everyone's been talking about as of late? I don't believe I really paid any attention to it until recently. The way everyone talks, it's the best thing to happen toDoom in years. Is it worth the download? If it is, how do you get it up and running? What are the major differences between Doom and ZDoom?
Thanks for your help. :-)

Hey, what's this ZDom everyone's been talking about as of late?

The correct URL of the ZDoom homepage is http://zdoom.notgod.com .

Both are correct, although www.zdoom.com hasn't worked in ages.

Nice post count, Mord.

Both are correct, although www.zdoom.com hasn't worked in ages.

Works just fine for me. At least it did 30 seconds ago.

Get the latest Beta release of ZDoom, I think that right now it's v1.23 beta 24.

Over Doom? The features are too many to list! It can run windowed, run in high resolutions, run with double x and y detail, tons of crosshair options (health color, designs, scale, grow on item pickup {like UT}), very customizable character coloring, net play, tons of bugfixes in the original Doom source.... um....

It uses the FMOD engine for sound so it can use midi (the mus are converted to mid to play), mod, s3m, xm, it, mp3 and FMOD is supposed to support ogg but I haven't tested that yet.

It can play any version of Doom (aside from the alphas), Heretic, and Hexen support is just getting started.

Its fast as hell. I run it windowed at 720 by 480 (DVD resolution) with double x and y detail and it never drops below the max framerate. It's integrated so well with Windows that I keep it Windowed so I can Doom and be on ICQ at the same time. Just hit escape or bring down the console and the mouse cursor is freed.

Its also easy as hell to set up. Put it in your Doom folder and double click ZDoom.exe... you configure it entirely with the ingame menus. There are launchers available and they make it easier to launch ZDoom as Ultimate Doom or Heretic.

It also has some spiffy features such as mirrors, slopes, basic polyobjects (like Hexen), skyboxes... the list goes on and on. Plus, ZDoom uses an extended form of the acc scripting in Hexen so some ZDoom levels are REALLY cool, there's one that takes place on a runaway train... in even has a time limit in one part. Doom 3057 is another really cool looking level that makes good use of scripting, with tons of interactive lighting and particle effects.

Without doubt ZDoom is my favorite port, and even better, there's a GL port of ZDoom. If you want to put your video card to use give ZDoomGL a try... it has everything ZDoom does plus more.

So yeah, ZDoom is the best thing since... well... Boom, actually. The cool thing is that ZDoom also has support for Boom levels!

IMHO there is only one thing that ZDoom is missing... support for ddf files. If it had that... then... ZDoom would be perfect. I'm not greedy so I'm not going to ask for it, I don't want to jinx Randy.

Get ZDoom and enjoy it!

BTW, I do have Legacy and MBF and all those others too, they all have their merits. I just use ZDoom much more often than the others.

Yes ZDoom is my favourite source port also. My computer is shit and im lucky it works full screen 640x480, sorta chugs but playable.

BWAHAHAHA

Hopefully Spring '02 shows off the ultimate source port - the modified version of EDGE for Hellstorm.

Be prepared to upgrade your computers, everyone not on a P2 or later...