Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroMaster010

pa02-2057, Underhalls done Pacifist!

15 hours ago, fabian said:

Erm, sorry?

Nothing against your port, if he made it with cndoom it would be official record. That's why I send you email few days ago. Too many demos unrecognized as official records :(

2 hours ago, fx02 said:

Nothing against your port, if he made it with cndoom it would be official record. That's why I send you email few days ago. Too many demos unrecognized as official records :(

I see. I wondered about your post especially in the light of our recent email conversation, but know I understand what you meant. ;)

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Unrecognized by whom?

I think by the increasing number of players who choose to recognise cndoom as competn's continuation. I'm not sure but I believe there is a consensus gradually forming for modernised standards. I believe @dew could expand on this? Sadly most of the discussion is walled up inside some Discord server -- I only became aware of it via fallout from the two-key strafe50 debacle.

6 hours ago, RjY said:

I think by the increasing number of players who choose to recognise cndoom as competn's continuation. I'm not sure but I believe there is a consensus gradually forming for modernised standards.

Uh...no, compet-n and cndoom are pretty much considered the irrelevant butt of jokes by the vast majority of runners - active ones anyway, not going to guess what the silent old folks in the background think :^)

24 minutes ago, kraflab said:

Uh...no, compet-n and cndoom are pretty much considered the irrelevant butt of jokes by the vast majority of runners - active ones anyway, not going to guess what the silent old folks in the background think :^)

Hmm, okay. I seem to be wrong about everything these days. So there's currently no central place where the standards are agreed upon? In that case how is it decided what is valid for a given category and what is not? What happens when there's disagreement? (Sorry going a bit offtopic here)

Personally I find demos recorded in dos to be more impressive, and IWAD activity is just as dead for competn\cndoom as it is for any other sourceport. Obviously prboom+ is going to be dominant when it comes to newer wads.

53 minutes ago, ZeroMaster010 said:

Personally I find demos recorded in dos to be more impressive

Ya, I definitely hold a special place of awe for people doing runs in dos, and those runs are somehow special, but not to the point where I would say a faster run in prboom+ isn't the record of course.  I do plan on having some kind of highlighting in dsda3 for true vanilla runs to show them apart in some way.

For disputes, they don't happen that often, but we usually fight about it in the discord - as far as what constitutes max on maps with questionable enemy and secret reachability, or pacifist questions.  There have been some deep threads on here about some of this already in the past year as well.

1 hour ago, fx02 said:

Not a problem, I'm used to get bashed on this forums

You should expect criticism when you selfishly insert yourself and your port into what should be a discussion about someone else's incredible personal achievement.

Anyway, since your link shows no cndoom uploads at all, I am not even sure what point you are trying to make.

Holy crap, no-one told me about this until now, but - awesome job, ZeroMaster! I've tried this run off and on over the years and made it down into the basement a couple times on a traditional line (i.e. basically the speedrun line with giant piles of luck), but never really got anywhere close to finishing. Once flat glides were a thing I fiddled about with something like this a bit, but never went anywhere serious with it. Awesome that someone finally finished it, and great tactics. Congratulations.

BTW, this silent old person in the background thinks the people actually actively running stuff these days should set the conventions :P that's how it always was in the old days, after all; we didn't have an Official UN Committee or anything deciding what was OK and what wasn't, we just argued about it on IRC and then went with whatever whoever was running the compet-n site at the time decided...

whenever I try and play these days I use doom2.exe in dosbox, but that's just me.

8 hours ago, AdamW said:

whenever I try and play these days I use doom2.exe in dosbox, but that's just me.

Dosbox sucks! Don't use it if the run requires you to perform a trick or precise movement. Sometimes even a joke easy trick can become a nightmare.

@Looper didn't you only recently try playing an actual source port instead of using doom2.exe in DOSBox and realize that you suddenly had much better mouse movement and Doom wasn't nearly as difficult to control as you had always thought?

10 hours ago, Looper said:

Sometimes even a joke easy trick can become a nightmare.

Nightmare speedrunning is quite popular, isn't it?

Thanks AdamW!

I noticed my movement improved significantly as well when I switched to crispy doom from cndoom, I'm quite sure the uncapped framerate is the reason for that. Glides are slightly easier to do with sourceports that has the same mouse movement as chocolate doom, because it's easier to do TL1 and TR1 with the mouse so you can quickly get the right angle. However, this can also be a problem since you can do TL1/TR1 by accident more easily when you are already at the right angle. I think for something like east/north direction and guideless I'd rather prefer dosbox/prboom mouse settings, but west/south is most common so chocolate/crispy/cndoom works better. At least I'm able to hit 3 keys at once in dosbox, so that's on your end Looper :)

3 hours ago, Linguica said:

@Looper didn't you only recently try playing an actual source port instead of using doom2.exe in DOSBox and realize that you suddenly had much better mouse movement and Doom wasn't nearly as difficult to control as you had always thought?

Well, I think my new nomonster times speak for it. I mean cmon, 34.97 @ no24 without jump!? (Yes, I'm happy.)

43 minutes ago, ZeroMaster010 said:

At least I'm able to hit 3 keys at once in dosbox, so that's on your end Looper :)

Yeah, figured it out back when running the 30uv, as I did fix it by having additional keys for movement @ jkli, so I switched during teleporting to those keys, just to make the bluekey grab. Now I have new keyboard though, hehe.

Yeah, the TL1/TR1 by accident is a minor problem, but it's not that bad since it's a lot more easy to keep mouse perfectly still than make those TL1/TR1 movements under dosbox. There's also some shitty lag in the dosbox that made the map17 yellow key jump, that is no longer required, insanely difficult to perform at times.