Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Has anyone read the book?

To say that one FPS has a "more interesting story" than another is like saying one glass of water has a "more interesting flavor" than another. If so, it's probably not a very good FPS, heh.

EDIT: No, I haven't read the novel... I just came to post an unsolicited opinion about stories in shooter games.

3 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

The Doom 3 novels are actually pretty good, and well written. Much better then the novels from the 90's. They're worth checking out if you want.

Doom 3: Worlds on Fire, Am I right? Is worth the time? Looks atractive for me, but you have to be careful when reading. 

Doom 3: Worlds on Fire wasn't bad, it was pretty coherent with the game's style and an interesting enough story. Though it didn't leave a lasting impression on me, I barely remember details.

The first Doom 1 novel with Flynn Taggert and Arlene Sanders on the other hand was kind of silly and crazy, but more memorable for me.

Doom 3 was written into two novels, the first one was titled Worlds on Fire, the other Maelstrom. The first book chronicles the Doomguys war story just before being shipped off to Mars, and then later on hell is unleashed just like the game. The second one picks up after that.

I'm halfway through the novel. I like what I'm reading thus far. I tend to nibble on some crackers with blue cheese while I read. Anyone here a DOOM & blue cheese fan like myself?

They're certainly good on their own merits, but I have a soft spot for the '90s novels, even despite the latter two of them completely fucking up the plot. The Doom 3 novels have too slow of a build-up for my tastes.

I enjoyed them.  They're pot boilers but they're fun and the prose isn't as painful as the 90s novels.

Sadly, the last novel won't see a print even though it's written.  I contacted Matt Costello a few years ago and he said that, though it was written, the publisher wasn't happy with the sales of the first 2 books... :(

We should get a KS project on the go!

21 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

Doom 3 was written into two novels, the first one was titled Worlds on Fire, the other Maelstrom. The first book chronicles the Doomguys war story just before being shipped off to Mars, and then later on hell is unleashed just like the game. The second one picks up after that.

I'm actually really curious how he described Hell.

2 hours ago, Average said:

I enjoyed them.  They're pot boilers but they're fun and the prose isn't as painful as the 90s novels.

Sadly, the last novel won't see a print even though it's written.  I contacted Matt Costello a few years ago and he said that, though it was written, the publisher wasn't happy with the sales of the first 2 books... :(

We should get a KS project on the go!

Or even just an E-book. I'd read it.

Massive props to whoever is able to turn a Doom game into a compelling novel. Seems like an oxymoron honestly. That would be a really tough thing to pull off. Doom is the epitome of a series lacking lore.

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

It'd be cool to have the unauthorized Hungarian novels (A pokol kapui and Tisztítótűz‎) translated into English, to see if they're good or bad.

Maybe a bit unrelated but a famous writer from my country wrote a short story about Heretic. Here is my translation of it.

On 9/9/2017 at 5:53 PM, Piper Maru said:

Is this book park three of the story?

https://www.amazon.ca/Infernal-Sky-Doom-No-3/dp/0671525638

Yeah, the 3rd and 4th 90s novels are kind of bad.  They just go so far off the rails there's nothing of Doom left.  Still, they're not exactly huge books so don't demand a great amount of time to tear through.  Read them on a holiday. :)

55 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

The books from the 90's featured Revenants that wore white shirts and red boxing shorts as opposed to the rotting flesh and armor. 

That's.....pretty clever actually. I mean not all revenants are mutated soldiers right?

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

That's.....pretty clever actually. I mean not all revenants are mutated soldiers right?

An excerpt from Doom Hell On Earth:

Then the thing materialized. It wasn't a recruit for
humanity's army. And it wasn't a zombie, an imp, or
any other old friend. The bastards had sent us a new
monster.

There was something especially odd about the
appearance. This sucker wore clothes! He had on red
shorts and a white T-shirt. At a quick glance, it looked
like a living skeleton in lederhosen. There wasn't time
for a closer look--we already delayed firing a second
too long. The idiotic wardrobe threw us off.
The thing jumped at me, picked me up with one
hand and threw me at the wall. I rolled with the
impact and scrambled to my feet, still holding onto
my twelve-gauge; but before I could fire, the monster
had Arlene in one claw and Albert in the other. Thin
as it was, we were like rag dolls in its hands.
Jill was shouting through the partition, wondering
what was wrong. I would have loved to tell her, but I
was otherwise occupied, waiting for a clear shot.
The skeleton flung Albert down, but kept hold of
Arlene. The angle made Arlene a shield, so I started
maneuvering around, trying to maintain my footing
with Jill's increasingly panicked driving. As I tried for
a better position, the damned bone pile turned and
punched out Albert!

I mean, it hauled off and slugged him, and he went
down for the count. The stupid red shorts suddenly
seemed like boxing shorts. If the invaders were devel-
oping a sense of humor, I knew the true meaning of
horror.