Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

What do you think are the best mods for Doom?

Doom is undoubtedly a great game with a freedom of modification and huge creation. 

Thanks to the easy accessibility to his ''body'', fans everywhere have created a huge number of mods that have modified the game in glorious, fun, incredible and unique ways.

So I ask you Doomers, what are your favorite mods? I for example do not have much experience with mods, however I know a few of which I have found incredible:

- Brutal Doom
- Beautiful Doom
- Doom 3 Redux
Of any of the incredible games; Doom I, II or 3, what are your favorite mods? Compare and describe them well, it would be great to try them all one by one.

doom_dribbble.gif

DoomRL Arsenal is a great one. It adds a bunch of weapons and armors from Doom, The Roguelike (a fan game).

It has four player classes for you to choose from, but the highlight here is the ludicrous amount of stuff you can find. There are just tons and tons of weapons and they all have different "rarity levels", so some of them won't spawn unless you get really lucky.

If you're really lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you see it) you can find game-breaking equipement, like a self-reparing armor that has 100% resistance to all damage types, for instance.

Also, yes, I mentioned damage types. There are four of them: melee, bullet, fire and plasma. This adds some strategy to te mix as well. Do you want an armor with a little bit of protection to all kinds of damage, or maybe something that'll just protect you from a specific damage type, but with great effectivity?

TL;DR: A great mod with great variety. Highly recommended.

4 hours ago, DoomguyB said:

I tend to stick with either Brutal Doom (because it's just mayhem) or Beautiful Doom (for those more intimate sessions). MooD (mirrored maps) is definitely interesting, although it confuses the life out of me most of the time. The Slomo mod (bullet time) is very cool too, although if overused it basically turns the game into easy mode.

That Slomo sounds like Matrix or FEAR, pretty interesting. 

3 hours ago, KVELLER said:

DoomRL Arsenal is a great one. It adds a bunch of weapons and armors from Doom, The Roguelike (a fan game).

It has four player classes for you to choose from, but the highlight here is the ludicrous amount of stuff you can find. There are just tons and tons of weapons and they all have different "rarity levels", so some of them won't spawn unless you get really lucky.

If you're really lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you see it) you can find game-breaking equipement, like a self-reparing armor that has 100% resistance to all damage types, for instance.

Also, yes, I mentioned damage types. There are four of them: melee, bullet, fire and plasma. This adds some strategy to te mix as well. Do you want an armor with a little bit of protection to all kinds of damage, or maybe something that'll just protect you from a specific damage type, but with great effectivity?

TL;DR: A great mod with great variety. Highly recommended.

Whoa! That sounds like a truly big mod, maybe inspired in Borderlands? Gonna check it out.

I like randomizer mods like HXRTC Project or Shuffle 667, AEoD...even the Complex Doom+LCA combo. Weapon mods like Space Hunter, Dump 3 Weapon pack, Banhammer (hehehe) and Russian Overkill. And I can name others like Fragtrak, LegenDoom, DoomRPG and many others that I can't remember now...yeah

12 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

I like randomizer mods like HXRTC Project or Shuffle 667, AEoD...even the Complex Doom+LCA combo. Weapon mods like Space Hunter, Dump 3 Weapon pack, Banhammer (hehehe) and Russian Overkill. And I can name others like Fragtrak, LegenDoom, DoomRPG and many others that I can't remember now...yeah

Nice taste in mods, that Russian Overkill is hilarious. 

I really enjoy weapon mods that just replace Vanilla stuff and not add any kind of randomization or other stuff,like Nightmare of the sin,final doomer,samsara,strange aeons guns and monsters and some others I probably forgot of...

3 minutes ago, SOSU said:

I really enjoy weapon mods that just replace Vanilla stuff and not add any kind of randomization or other stuff.Like Nightmare of the sin,final doomer,samsara,strange aeons guns and monsters and some others I probably forgot of

Nightmare of the Sin is really damn fun, love that castlevania theme. Thx for sharing! 

it depends what people like, for most people brutal doom is the best one, for me it will be probably not mod but Psx Doom TC and moonblood mapset

53 minutes ago, DOOMmarine918 said:

Smooth doom w/ doom 3 sfx. I made the most redefined way to play the game for my taste.

Thats Quartz Doom. Lol.

D4T, best all-round D4 based mod, Brutal Doom, for gore, mayhem, destruction and carnage, Beautiful Doom, for hi-res effects and all those kinds of stuff, Led's Personal Weapon Item mod, beefier sounds and weapons feel powerful, HXRTC Project, expands on Weapons of Saturn while adding a balanced randomizer with various monsters and a shopping drone, AEons of Death, a clusterfuck of fun that can be hilarious when mixed with specific megawads, Traiblazer, killing with style while being powerful and badass, MetaDoom, combines the best of all Doom games, even the obscure ones, into one big package of fun, finally Russian Overkill, stress destroyer, great for laughs with satisfaction garanteed, to get the best out it, play on difficult megawads or slaughter maps.

Extreme weapon pack, because you really need polish those nails while cyberdemon charges you with rockect launcher.

For serious note, I would go with Smooth Doom or other cool mod like Russian Overkill. 

Space hunter is an amazing 8-bit design weapons which fits perfectly SNESJukebox Ultrapack, a satisfying mod that with 1 weapon can make huge and amazing things that you will not get bored. It actually makes you see doom in a different point of view so i recommend it totally.

D4T Found it really fun to play, as it makes you to explore all the maps of the wads and killing all the monsters and you get and update of weapon or health, which is totally awesome.

Now there's 5 mods of smooth doom that are interesting each one of them:

Beautiful Doom: For Smooth animation, more gore and cool death animations

Hard Doom: Has smooth animation and cool weapons but now EVERY monster is 10x Harder than before

Smooth doom: if you don't want too much "Bullshit" and you just want to enjoy doom with satisfying animations (Now with D64 weapons included)

Random Deaths and decorations: Not much to say here, just watching diferent death animations and details, go for it if you just want to see something a little bit different

Ketchup: It's just Doom but the hardcore blood from brutal doom, a really interesting mod if you want to combine with other mods.

I really like Reelism a lot. It changes and adds a bunch of stuff. Gameplay is a bit Invasion and a bit Remix mod. It has weapons and enemies from all kinds of classic games, crazy gameplay modifiers like flight, low gravity, heavy fog. You win by surviving for five rounds. Each round has a random set of enemies, a random set of weapons and a random gameplay modifier that rolls out on a slot reel. Hence the name Reelism.

There's a boss rush mode, multiplayer and a bunch of maps to play on. It's a pretty fun mod that's easy to just pick up and play.

1 hour ago, Piper Maru said:

The best Doom mod is the one released back in '94, Pulp Fiction Doom. The one with the sound bites from the movie.

Haha! I knew there was a mod like that! I thought it was my imagination lmao.

9 hours ago, Mr. Trotl said:

it depends what people like, for most people brutal doom is the best one, for me it will be probably not mod but Psx Doom TC and moonblood mapset

Of course, opinions are welcome, for me, Brutal Doom is really fun and I always play with it, its not that true-vanilla, but its really fun.

2 minutes ago, EmotionalFelineinaMadstate said:

I think you should try Russian Overkill, super insane mod that has a ton of variety.

Yes! I already did, really damn fun, but still, I just prefer a little bit vanilla in mods, this thing is just, massive destruction and lots of fun, but not that vanilla. Fantastic mod tho. 

17 hours ago, pnptcn said:

I really like Reelism a lot. It changes and adds a bunch of stuff. Gameplay is a bit Invasion and a bit Remix mod. It has weapons and enemies from all kinds of classic games, crazy gameplay modifiers like flight, low gravity, heavy fog. You win by surviving for five rounds. Each round has a random set of enemies, a random set of weapons and a random gameplay modifier that rolls out on a slot reel. Hence the name Reelism.

There's a boss rush mode, multiplayer and a bunch of maps to play on. It's a pretty fun mod that's easy to just pick up and play.

Gotta say it, that mods looks attractive.