Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anotak

Doom Builder X 2021.1 (September 20) - map editor

6 hours ago, Mordeth said:

Does DoomBuilderX also use sidedef packing, and does it take into account not to pack tagged sidedefs? See this issue.

dbx does not have that gzdb feature. sidedef compression only occurs when you are above the limit for sidedefs for that map format. i know you're making maps for EE, I really recommend switching to UDMF as it doesn't have a sidedef limit. i'll look into the consequences of that feature, because i'm not entirely sure it's a safe thing for me to do. adding itself is easy to do though. i'm just worried that it might break someone else's map to do this because some maps need the sidedefs saved by not having it, but the game config route is an un-ideal way of making it optional

19 hours ago, anotak said:

sidedef compression only occurs when you are above the limit for sidedefs for that map format.

Same as gzdoombuilder then. Problem: gzdoombuilder used to compress similar sidedefs regardless of tag presence which, as you can imagine, broke a lot of stuff. Maxed added a flag to prevent it packing sidedefs containing any tag.

Feature request: ability to search for linedefs/sectors with a certain tag range. Eg. select all linedefs with tags between 50 and 60.

Feature request (UDMF): ability to search for values for a linedef or sector's custom fields.

Feature request: when highlighting a sector in sector mode, use floodfill for the highlighted sector and a border highlight for a broken/unclosed sector. Yes, just like gzdoombuilder. This helps greatly to quickly find these kind of errors.

6 hours ago, Mordeth said:

Same as gzdoombuilder then. Problem: gzdoombuilder used to compress similar sidedefs regardless of tag presence which, as you can imagine, broke a lot of stuff. Maxed added a flag to prevent it packing sidedefs containing any tag.

Feature request: ability to search for linedefs/sectors with a certain tag range. Eg. select all linedefs with tags between 50 and 60.

Feature request (UDMF): ability to search for values for a linedef or sector's custom fields.

Feature request: when highlighting a sector in sector mode, use floodfill for the highlighted sector and a border highlight for a broken/unclosed sector. Yes, just like gzdoombuilder. This helps greatly to quickly find these kind of errors.

1) my issue is with how GZDB implemented the flag as a "game configuration" option. I'd rather have a different method of using the UI to figure it out. because I asked around and more people prefer the default DB2 behavior out of those I asked, so it should be somehow optional but obvious there is a choice. i'm thinking maybe i should have a window popup and ask the first time you try to save while over the sidedef limit? then save in the config for that particular map. i'll have to check to make sure there isn't any issue with how DB is architected to make that difficult.

2 & 3) i'll look into it. the programming isn't hard, but an acceptable/discoverable UI/UX for it isn't obvious to me at first glance. this is the type of thing my planned scripting plugin might be particularly helpful for. at the same time though, I don't want people to have to go through scripting all the time to do basic things.

4) Can you show me an example? I don't quite know how this is different from what happens in DBX.

On 12/31/2017 at 0:00 AM, theJF said:

Thanks anotak this has become my preferred map editor.

Maybe I can make some suggestions here?

Checking Things for errors could report if no difficulty flags are set?

In the dialog box listing sidedefs with missing textures it would be nice to be able to select all and apply the default in one go, rather than one by one.

Is there a way to make a hot key to set selected texture x-offset to zero?

Have ten files in the most recently used list under "File".

Thanks again!

oh i thought i responded to you and StevenC21, my bad. I'll look into this stuff. can you explain what you mean "select all"

edit: OH you mean in Map Analysis mode. yea I'll look into that

On 12/31/2017 at 0:28 AM, StevenC21 said:

So hey! I have a potentially great idea for your project with this! Would you be able to add the ability to load pk3 files directly, instead of having to rip the wads out first? I have a personal project going, and that might make me switch from GZDoom Builder, which is currently my main editor.

I've investigated this before actually, because I too would like it. It would be a lot more work than it should be because of how DB2 was architected, unfortunately. I might get around to it at some point. However, it's kind of low on the list because there's other improvements I can make that have better cost/benefit ratios right now.

@anotak thanks for trying dude! My only other request would be that you add more GZDB features, like the plugins it has installed. I tried just copying them into the new DBX plugins folder, but it causes crashes. And one last thing: Make it so I can see a slope or 3d floor in 3d mode instead of having to launch the game. Just a request, not a demand.

9 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

@anotak thanks for trying dude! My only other request would be that you add more GZDB features, like the plugins it has installed. I tried just copying them into the new DBX plugins folder, but it causes crashes. And one last thing: Make it so I can see a slope or 3d floor in 3d mode instead of having to launch the game. Just a request, not a demand.

if you set up the included GZDoom Editing plugin made by MaxED for the old DB2

xfJ1QGll.png

it will show some slopes and 3d floors (though not all, depends on what kind they are)

what GZDB plugins do you need? the automap and sound plugins work fine. i've been working on trying to get rejecteditor and nodesviewer working again

18 hours ago, SuaveSteve said:

Would you like us to post feature request here or as an issue on GitHub?

whichever is more convenient for you. i track them in a text file on my computer.

edit: also i can't (and don't) promise 100% any feature requests will be done, but i do always look into it and i do try to at least leave it in the list so that i can try to get to it eventually. depending on different factors, a longer term goal for me might be to write a completely new (and hopefully better) editor, in which case i may be able to add stuff then.

Edited by anotak

On 1/5/2018 at 3:50 PM, anotak said:

depending on different factors, a longer term goal for me might be to write a completely new (and hopefully better) editor

now that you've said it people will never let you forget :^)

i'm curious now, broadly what are some things you would you like to see in a new editor?

anyway, thanks for just the work you're doing on this.

On 1-1-2018 at 8:34 PM, anotak said:

2 & 3) i'll look into it. the programming isn't hard, but an acceptable/discoverable UI/UX for it isn't obvious to me at first glance.

What gzdoombuilder did for some stuff (eg action + argument), is to expand on the searchbox field in the search window (F3). So a proposed UI would be the ability to put in  for the eg tag field "10" something more like ">=10 && <=15".  Much more important is to ability to search for custom fields. This is now completely missing (in any editor) and can't be seen unless you bring up the editor box for each individual sector. So things like selecting all the sectors affected by portal id = 10 becomes an absolute nightmare in UDMF format.  Although leaving this functionality to plugins is fine.

4) Can you show me an example? I don't quite know how this is different from what happens in DBX.

In DBX, a highlighted sector is highlighted by a (default) yellow gloss over its bordering linedefs. GZDB does this yellow gloss for the entire sector surface, but only a linedef border highlight for a broken sector.

testmill (edit area) at 2018.01.06 12-53-54.285 [R2993].jpg

testmill (edit area) at 2018.01.06 12-54-15.822 [R2993].jpg

Also: you mentioned GZDB visual mode and normal DBX visual mode. Despite setting the shortcut key ( Q vs W) the GZDB visual mode never activates (both in ee-doom as in ee-udmf map format) while normal visual mode works as expected.

9 hours ago, Mordeth said:

What gzdoombuilder did for some stuff (eg action + argument), is to expand on the searchbox field in the search window (F3). So a proposed UI would be the ability to put in  for the eg tag field "10" something more like ">=10 && <=15".  Much more important is to ability to search for custom fields. This is now completely missing (in any editor) and can't be seen unless you bring up the editor box for each individual sector. So things like selecting all the sectors affected by portal id = 10 becomes an absolute nightmare in UDMF format.  Although leaving this functionality to plugins is fine.

In DBX, a highlighted sector is highlighted by a (default) yellow gloss over its bordering linedefs. GZDB does this yellow gloss for the entire sector surface, but only a linedef border highlight for a broken sector.

testmill (edit area) at 2018.01.06 12-53-54.285 [R2993].jpg

testmill (edit area) at 2018.01.06 12-54-15.822 [R2993].jpg

Also: you mentioned GZDB visual mode and normal DBX visual mode. Despite setting the shortcut key ( Q vs W) the GZDB visual mode never activates (both in ee-doom as in ee-udmf map format) while normal visual mode works as expected.

1) my issue with that is that it doesnt seem very discoverable to me. if i add it, then only those that read some manual somewhere will find it. i don't like doing things that way.

2) i'll have to look into this. i don't want to promise anything because if i remember right, the way gzdb did the rendering for that is very slow

3) you have to enable in the game config some modes (Tools -> Game Configs -> Modes). gzdb visual mode doesnt really do anything in either EE mode because they dont support the same stuff but it should "work" just fine if you enable it there

6 hours ago, anotak said:

if i add it, then only those that read some manual somewhere will find it.

you're gonna have to do some reading at some point, right? no one jumps into the editor knowing what everything does already? :p

i appreciate the philosophy tho, im just wondering at some point how you get around stuff like that

Edited by cacomeme

On 1/6/2018 at 8:41 PM, cacomeme said:

you're gonna have to do some reading at some point, right? no one jumps into the editor knowing what everything does already? :p

i appreciate the philosophy tho, im just wondering at some point how you get around stuff like that

i'd prefer if people have to do reading it's either toward generalities about "how do i map" or to answer specific questions that they know how to ask. the way the previous thing was described, it would be something nobody would know to go look for in the documentation even.

1 hour ago, StevenC21 said:

Are you going to include a Linux version eventually?

i'd like to but Doom Builder relies heavily on the SlimDX library which is windows only. it would be needed to rewrite the entire renderer to use OpenGL. that is a very large project that I have not found time for. it's a large enough project that i don't think that the reward would be worth it for me to do by myself. if i had that kind of time, i'd rather write a new editor at that point tbh. however, if others are willing to help me with it, i would be willing to contribute and maintain it afterward.

@anotak Wow, I took waaaay too long to respond. I guess that's ok. I just hate running Linux and not getting a halfway decent editor. Oh well. Maybe you should post the project to the ZDoom or DRDTeam forums? You'd probably get some help with that there.

there's some kind of bug(s) involved with merging newly drawn geometry that i still havent been able to track down (drawing new sectors leads to 1-sided linedefs sometimes), if anyone finds a consistent way to replicate that, i'd truly appreciate it

new version of DBX! mainly to get a bugfix out with changing textures

version 2.1.3.8
=====================
- fixed a bug with setting back sidedefs in the linedef edit window
- update to ACC 1.56
- fixed inconsistency with linedef info panel
- fixed heretic hanging moss things not hanging in 3d mode
- improved logging information
- cleanup for a bunch of compilation warnings left over from DB2 (should hopefully help prevent future bugs). some of this is based on MaxED's GZDoomBuilder code. may slightly improve performance.

Thanks anotak for dbx. I noticed that the stuck things in map anaysis mode seems to work better now. That said, it still reports stuck things in non-solid things. e.g. dead players.

Some feature requests ...

1. When a map has 32 maps, to show all these on loadup. Currently have to use the slider bar.

2. An arrow for line direction. DeepSea has this.

3. Map analysis mode to check for missing or invalid tags.

Keep it up !  :)

Edited by hawkwind

4 hours ago, hawkwind said:

Thanks anotak for dbx. I noticed that the stuck things in map anaysis mode seems to work better now. That said, it still reports stuck things in non-solid things. e.g. dead players.

Some feature requests ...

1. When a map has 32 maps, to show all these on loadup. Currently have to use the slider bar.

2. An arrow for line direction. DeepSea has this.

3. Map analysis mode to check for missing or invalid tags.

Keep it up !  :)

thanks!

1. this has been on my list for a minute, just low priority bc it would take more effort than it should

2. what do you mean exactly, something other than the existing indicator

3. i'll add it to the list. as well as dead players. i'd like to ask though: what's your workflow like with this? for example, how often do you need the map analysis to check for either of these things instead of it being part of your flow with testing ingame or whatever

22 minutes ago, anotak said:

2. what do you mean exactly, something other than the existing indicator

Deepsea added arrowheads to the linedefs, just for ... I don't know why,

since they do not have anything to do with the sidedness of linedefs, which

is determined by the front/back sidefefs.

jgn4Svw.png

If I had to guess, I'd say it's for effects like the Boom scrollers that scroll in the direction of a linedef. It's not absolutely necessary, the thing to remember is that the front side is always on the right.

15 hours ago, anotak said:

3. i'll add it to the list. as well as dead players. i'd like to ask though: what's your workflow like with this? for example, how often do you need the map analysis to check for either of these things instead of it being part of your flow with testing ingame or whatever

As an occasional playtester, I feel that error checking is vital. So, for me, any improvement in map analysis is a plus.

Out of curiosity, how does this editor compare to SLADE3? If this editor is still more advanced (even if it has less features than GZDB-BF), think this can be ported to OpenGL?

jewalky commented on Mar 14, 2017 (edited Mar 15, 2017) at https://github.com/jewalky/GZDoom-Builder-Bugfix/issues/12

Now that I actually have a Linux VM here and having read the renderer-related code in GZDB, SlimDX is actually the main problem here.

As CodeImp was quite a good coder, the D3D-specific code is mostly limited to Renderer directory (total 295kb of code). That doesn't sound too overwhelming, so I might try porting this to OGL.

edit: CodeImp was a good coder, but MaxED not.
MaxED's modifications use DirectX all over DataManager (for visual skies), VisualThing (for models and voxels), and god knows what else. These are the most obvious parts. So removing it from there isn't going to be easy nor fast.

2 hours ago, hawkwind said:

As an occasional playtester, I feel that error checking is vital. So, for me, any improvement in map analysis is a plus.

understood. well, like i said, it's on the list

47 minutes ago, Danfun64 said:

Out of curiosity, how does this editor compare to SLADE3? If this editor is still more advanced (even if it has less features than GZDB-BF), think this can be ported to OpenGL?

i hesitate to call it purely "more advanced", but i think most people tend to prefer the workflow of the doom builder family of editors over SLADE3.

there seems to be a lot of demand for me to port this to linux & osx but as i mentioned in a previous post on this page:

On 1/8/2018 at 1:59 AM, anotak said:

i'd like to but Doom Builder relies heavily on the SlimDX library which is windows only. it would be needed to rewrite the entire renderer to use OpenGL. that is a very large project that I have not found time for. it's a large enough project that i don't think that the reward would be worth it for me to do by myself. if i had that kind of time, i'd rather write a new editor at that point tbh. however, if others are willing to help me with it, i would be willing to contribute and maintain it afterward.

the only other bit of code that relies on slimdx is some input code that would take probably like a couple minutes to rewrite some other way

Possible serious bug ...

It appears that when highlighting a line, DBX shows it referencing the wrong sector.

For example, Open up Doom2.wad map01.

Highlight line 104. This line is one sided and DBX shows it referencing sector 1 whereas it should reference sector 18.

Highlight line 126. This line is two sided and DBX shows it referencing sector 1 on side 1 and sector 2 on side 2, whereas side 1 should reference sector 18 and side 2 sector 21.

... a minor nitpick ...

When highlighting a sector, the info box bottom right looks a bit "messy". I hope you get what I mean. Also using win10, the very bottom of the editor is "chopped off" by the windows taskbar. Compare DB2.

oh, dammit, the number is cut off visually. i hate the winforms library so much.

the value will be correct in the meantime if you go into the linedef properties. so sorry about that. i'll add that to the list too. ty for the report

Edited by anotak

Downloaded this the other day, haven't touched Doom Builder 2 since. I'm really digging the addition of the Sound Propagation and Automap modes. The Visual mode on Doom Builder 2 is also jittery on Windows 10 (at least on my computer for some reason), but I'm glad that's not present here. Great work in every aspect! c:

Although I do have to ask: is there ever going to be a built-in GZDoom config for this?

14 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Downloaded this the other day, haven't touched Doom Builder 2 since. I'm really digging the addition of the Sound Propagation and Automap modes. The Visual mode on Doom Builder 2 is also jittery on Windows 10 (at least on my computer for some reason), but I'm glad that's not present here. Great work in every aspect! c:

Although I do have to ask: is there ever going to be a built-in GZDoom config for this?

thanks!

umm, what would a gzdoom config entail that the zdoom config doesn't already do

3 hours ago, anotak said:

umm, what would a gzdoom config entail that the zdoom config doesn't already do

I was mainly thinking about the dynamic lights, since they're essentially a GZDoom-specific feature. But then again, I suppose you could load either gzdoom.pk3 or lights.pk3 as an additional resource, so as to circumvent the lack of dynamic lights in "normal" ZDoom.