Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anotak

Doom Builder X 2021.1 (September 20) - map editor

In linedef mode when the mouse is over a linedef with an action there is no action information in the info panel. I miss that from regular db2. 

3 hours ago, theJF said:

In linedef mode when the mouse is over a linedef with an action there is no action information in the info panel. I miss that from regular db2. 

That happened to me as well. I do not know how or why. The infopanel was completely blank.

What I did to solve that problem was to delete the BuilderX.cfg file and let the editor generate a new one.

Now I cannot duplicate the error. I could duplicate it. I clicked left and right mousebuttons at the same time.

Spoiler

viEPsMK.png

Had to delete BuilderX.cfg again.

Edited by Kappes Buur

In my case the panel is not totally blank. It is only the linedef action that is missing. There is the text "Action:" then nothing.

I tried deleting the configuration file but it made no difference.

sry for the slow response, was out of town for a few days.

does this occur regardless of map type? (eternity, zdoom in hexen, doom 2, etc)

also what is your windows version, desktop resolution, dpi settings

interesting, appears to happen when i mouse over longer-length action names, like i just made a doom 2 format map and set lines to "20 S1 Floor Raise to Next Highest Floor (changes texture)"

and it makes them disappear, bizarre. apologies that i didn't notice before, i don't look at that as often as i probably should and the times that i've looked the info has always been there.

now that i can reproduce the bug i should have a fix coming hopefully soon. sorry there may be some delay, i am going through a very rough situation involving friends and family, but hopefully there will be a break. i might be able to look the code properly tonight, but no promises.

Take it easy dude. There's no rush. I appreciate the work you're doing. Good luck with the family/personal things.

thanks.

had a chance to look some, i realized you're describing a different problem than Buur is. I think I probably fixed the problem Buur is describing, I'll double check more later.

Can you give me any information what OS you're running, and maybe a copy of the broken config files vs a working one?

I still had it sitting in my Recyle Bin.

BuilderX.7z

I tried to duplicate the error several times with a new cfg file, without success.

So, I really do not know how I managed to screw it up. I thought it was a key

combination, but now ....

My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64

edit:

Good news. Pressing the ~ key restores the info panel and all is well.

It does not, however, fix the cfg file.

edit2:

Mentioning the tilde key.

In GZDB it was 'corrected' that the Tilde needed to be pressed only once

instead of twice to have the screen change.

Edited by Kappes Buur

thank you i think i have it figured out for sure

i'm aiming for a release maybe next week unless this is very pressing for you, then i can try to do it sooner. i just have some small features i am trying to get done and properly tested

@Linguica brought this up, that the "Deaf" monster flag name is factually incorrect (and misleads new users), as it doesn't actually deafen monsters, and proposed changing it to "Ambush". (Ambush is what the actual Ddoom source code calls it btw)

I tend to agree, but I also don't want to do anything that messes with people's "muscle-memory" of the tool. Are there any objections to me changing it (or alternate solutions)?

That flag has been named Ambush Players in GZDB, and hence GZDBBF, for several years.

So you should be save to call it that too.

I'm aware of that, but also DBX provides for a different set of users than those two editors. I'd rather make decisions because they make sense for DBX and the users of DBX, rather than worry too much about what the other tools do.

23 minutes ago, DoomKid123 said:

Is this going to put my pc at risk for a virus? I'm currently getting a warning for that.

it shouldn't? what antivirus is it? that's really strange

edit: i'm uploading it to virustotal in case i missed something, just to be sure. that's concerning.

edit:

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file-analysis/OGFiZWY5OGVlY2E5OTFlMWU4NTA0NDA4YjcwYjQ5ODc6MTUwNzQ5MzM3OA==

the analysis is still going but right now the only things that show up are some generic heuristics that tend toward false positives, so far nothing to worry about

Edited by anotak

2 hours ago, anotak said:

I'm aware of that, but also DBX provides for a different set of users than those two editors.

Oh. Well then, drag them screaming into the light, and make them renounce their false idols. DEAF is heresy! AMBUSH is truth!

btw as a general thing: if y'all notice bad performance on any particular part of DBX or opening a certain map let me know (and provide me with a link to the map of course). i consider that type of thing to be a bug and i will try my best to improve on it.

i'm expecting a new version sometime mid-late next week. i rewrote a lot of stuff related to making/drawing new geometry to fix some old bugs and also improve speed a lot. i need to do testing before i am okay with just releasing it to the public, in case i missed something.

i dont have the time to during this week to test it bc of other things.

exact changelog is here, the 2.1.3.4 is stuff that i need to test before release

i was thinking of running a small speedmapping session, like, maybe sunday afternoon (USA east coast)? to help test DBX 2.1.3.4

how would that sound

4 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Sounds too soon to this planned session.

it's not the same day tho? i don't want to conflict with anyone else's stuff, but i have to get this version out there.

i do need more testing since i did make big changes to the geometry stuff

Even if the times didn't conflict directly, some speedmappers may be "creatively exhausted" after the first session and not want to attend another one too soon. Not to mention that this session has a tradition, whereas yours has none, so you can expect fewer people to want to participate anyway.

On 10/8/2017 at 8:31 PM, anotak said:

I'm aware of that, but also DBX provides for a different set of users than those two editors. I'd rather make decisions because they make sense for DBX and the users of DBX, rather than worry too much about what the other tools do.

Even then, the feature has been misnamed ever since the first editors appeared in 1994 and that misnaming is causing confusion because the incorrect name is implying something that is simply not true. What's the point in intentionally propagating that confusion?

I realized one more reason why a speedmapping session might not be a good idea to test a new editor: Regular speedmappers tend to be tightly knit with their favorite map editors that they have experience with, so being forced to use a different editor is unlikely to appeal to many.

i might have enough testing for this version to release soonish anyway.

15 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Even then, the feature has been misnamed ever since the first editors appeared in 1994 and that misnaming is causing confusion because the incorrect name is implying something that is simply not true. What's the point in intentionally propagating that confusion?

so like you're gonna come in here, act like that shit you said to me never happened? no apology? then repeat my question back to me that i already asked, except rudely, not even having read my patch notes for the next version that i linked?

2 hours ago, illuknisaa said:

When I try to use to use visual mode all I get is a black screen (with crosshair in the middle). Any tips on how to fix this?

can you post your builderx.log file (type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Doom Builder\ into your address bar in windows explorer to find it)

do you have this issue in doom builder 2 or any other software?

what OS are you on? what video card do you have? have you updated your video drivers recently?

8 hours ago, illuknisaa said:

When I try to use to use visual mode all I get is a black screen (with crosshair in the middle). Any tips on how to fix this?

Your camera is probably located in a void part of the map too far from any map geometry, or in the middle of a really huge and tall sector. Put the "Visual Mode Camera" thing somewhere into your map and try again. In huge sectors, stay near the floor, ceiling or walls.

new version!

please let me know if you encounter any issues. i have tested quite a bit but i'm still sort of worried about unpredictable consequences of changing some of the geometry code that i changed, so please report any issues. i do think the changes are worth it, i tested a wide variety of maps and the performance benefits for drawing new stuff is quite noticeable. in one extreme case, I improved the speed of adding a new sector to an area by literal minutes. i also finally finished fixing one of the more well-known doom builder 2 undo crash bugs (thank you so much Ribbiks for providing the logfile!). as well as the thing that used to cause this crap when drawing new geometry.

version 2.1.3.4
=====================
- big optimizations to drawing new geometry, brand new algorithms for detecting inner sectors as well as splitting lines by vertices. please let me know if there are any issues.
- added editor for map-level udmf fields outside of blocks. loading/saving preserve any map level udmf properties (for forward compatibility with future UDMF stuff). (see Edit -> Map UDMF info...)
- renamed "Deaf" to "Ambush", as it's more correct and matches the Doom source code itself.
- new hotkey for incrementing/decrementing tag of currently selected element in classic 2d modes. you have to set the hotkey yourself in the menu
- fixed linedef special information being blank in the info panel sometimes
- fixed longstanding DB2 crash related to make sectors + undo/redo
- fixed longstanding DB2 bug where vertices would not merge correctly under some circumstances
- Disabled ally/strifeally from the udmf configs as it does the same thing as friendly. you can still set it manually using the UDMF window.
- fixed a serious performance issue on maps with a lot of geometry (for example, vela pax map01)
- fixed a crash loading malformed patches & sprites (for example, daedalus.wad)
- minor tweaks to logging system

Edited by anotak

I'm super-thrilled with that increment/decrement tag hotkey feature. Beejus Crisp, that's gonna be handy.