Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anotak

Doom Builder X 2021.1 (September 20) - map editor

Can't watch right now cause I'm at work and can consider myself fortunate I currently even have any internet access in this neck of the woods...

However there's only situation where I know DBX "axes" linedefs, and that's when part of what you're drawing ends in - or creates - a void. In that case every linedef in the void just gets axed, but this is not a phenomenon that depends on linedef orientation alone, IIRC.

Frankly, if this is what's happening, then I'm not sure anybody but anotak can help in the first place.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

Hello I'd like to ask a question.
I could not find an answer to this in the previous replies, I hope I did not miss it without noticing.

I am trying to turn on the GZDoom Visual Mode but can't seem to be able to.
I have assigned a key in the Controls section but, unlike with regular Visual Mode, it doesn't work.
I ultimately need some GZDB features to finalize my maps since but, considered how DBX is faster performance-wise, I would like to use to lay down most of the layout before I move to GZDB.
I always make maps that make heavy usage of 3D floors so I really need GZ Visual Mode to work to commit to this software.

I hope I did not miss out on anything obvious in the menus.
Any pointers on what I might be doing wrong would be much appreciated

13 minutes ago, Ivory Duke said:

I am trying to turn on the GZDoom Visual Mode but can't seem to be able to.

I hope I did not miss out on anything obvious in the menus.
Any pointers on what I might be doing wrong would be much appreciated

You'll be hard pressed to find a GZDoom Visual Mode in DBX.

DBX only has a 'vanilla' preview. If I remember correctly there was some debate of anotak adding some GZD features eventually.

Meanwhile, to see 3D sectors in a preview mode you have to use either GZDB or GZDBBF.

3 hours ago, boris said:

Did you try to actually "finish" the drawing by drawing a line back to your starting point?

No I didn't. Good point!

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

You'll be hard pressed to find a GZDoom Visual Mode in DBX.

DBX only has a 'vanilla' preview. If I remember correctly there was some debate of anotak adding some GZD features eventually.

Meanwhile, to see 3D sectors in a preview mode you have to use either GZDB or GZDBBF.

There is a GZDoom Visual Mode and it does work (I know that cuz I was messing with colored lighting on a UDMF level)

1 hour ago, Impboy4 said:

There is a GZDoom Visual Mode and it does work

(I know that cuz I was messing with colored lighting on a UDMF level)

Then you know more than I do.

How did you do that, giving sectors coloured lighting in DBX, in any format?

All I have is the regular 'vanilla' Visual Mode  for ZDoom

b6qVS4Z.png

I had the GZDoom Visual Mode plugin from the original DB2 and it got carried over to DBX when I installed it.

2 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

I had the GZDoom Visual Mode plugin from the original DB2 and it got carried over to DBX when I installed it.

I should have scrolled up a bit, the GZDoom Visual Mode is now in DBX.

IU0kng4.png

But it does not work fully with all 3D sectors, for example

this

COS2BPE.png

is previewed like this

YpyDmor.png

@Ivory Duke

So, DBX now has some 3D functionality :-)

Oh I see.
I have to turn on the plugin in the Modes when loading the map on top of binding the key.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Edit: I just opened a map of mine and it loaded up with 3D sectors, slopes (3D and not), scaled texture and everything else.
Only thing that was missing were dynamic lights but I know those are not available things outside of GZDB.
Thanks a lot again

This program crashes on me whenever I draw geometry with merge geometry turned off.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

On 4/14/2019 at 10:57 AM, Kore said:

This program crashes on me whenever I draw geometry with merge geometry turned off.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

I am able to replicate this in 2.1.3.10 (it's consistently doable if you try to draw lines that awkwardly intersect each other with merge geometry off). However, this seems to be fixed in the 2.1.3.11 alphas, where I can spam lines as fiercely as I can muster and haven't gotten it to crash yet. According to your crash log you're on 2.1.3.10, so I recommend trying the alpha posted here instead: 

Will this ever be compatible with Linux? I like SLADE and all, but it just doesn't cut it when it comes to performance and ease of use.

Also, when will the ZDoom configs get updated? It's missing a bunch of line specials. But no real hurry, i guess i can just type in the numbers and arguments myself.

https://www.sf4remix.com/lilith/doombuilderx-2.1.3.11-alpha7.zip

this one should have a major crash fixed:

https://www.sf4remix.com/lilith/doombuilderx-2.1.3.11-alpha8.zip

there is a new alpha version!

notable upgrades:

- rotatable grid thanks to Volte (see the Edit menu, new hotkeys can be set in Preferences)

- several crashes fixed

- improved tooltips in a lot of places (especially thing / linedef flags)

- new lua function: linedef.SwapProperties(some_other_linedef), this can basically be used for situations where Linedef index matters (vanilla stuff especially)

Here's a simple example script that uses it:

-- effectively swaps the indices of the two lines

linedefs = Map.GetSelectedLinedefs()

if #linedefs == 2 then
    linedefs[1].SwapProperties(linedefs[2])
end

there are several known bugs still kicking, sorry, I'll get to them eventually. things have just been very hectic & stressful for me irl right now.

23 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

Will this ever be compatible with Linux? I like SLADE and all, but it just doesn't cut it when it comes to performance and ease of use.

Also, when will the ZDoom configs get updated? It's missing a bunch of line specials. But no real hurry, i guess i can just type in the numbers and arguments myself.

I would love to have it, but Linux/Mac support is a huge project I would probably need more people to work together with me on. For a more indepth explanation as to why, there have been several discussions about it in this thread already.

ZDoom configs will get updated if anyone were to step up and do that. The config files are (sort of) human readable and can be edited with a text editor. I'm just not particularly interested in trying to put significant effort into supporting them when the ZDoom devs treated me quite badly, and I have no future plans for ZDoom mapping myself. But I would happily include any updated ZDoom config files if someone else were willing to put in the effort.

Edited by anotak

I'm still a pleb who uses DBX 2.1.3.10 :(

Is there any benefit from using alpha builds?

3 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

I'm still a pleb who uses DBX 2.1.3.10 :(

Is there any benefit from using alpha builds?

well, there's stuff moving around, and it's potentially unstable.

but right now the big things are

- Lua support (this is the big thing keeping me from making an official point release as I'm still changing the API)

- rotatable grid (Volte implemented this)

right now the full changes for the alpha version compared to the latest stable version are:

- new Lua plugin (thanks to Ribbiks, Grain of Salt, Printz, MTrop, and Xaser for feedback)

- All / Textures / Flats / resources categories are on top in the texture browser now. there is an option in preferences to revert to the old behavior: 'Put "All" and resource categories on top in browsers'

- texture categories for subfolders/subwads inside pk3 resource archives

- texture categories remember which one you clicked on properly

- when drag-selecting, hold alt when you release-click to drag-deselect instead

- if you hold alt when you start to drag things, it duplicates them instead.

- bmsq added long texture name support. thanks bmsq!

- drag/dropping a wad file on main window when nothing is open, now opens that wad

- added tooltips for thing/linedef flags in the edit windows

- moved "Grid Increase" / "Grid Decrease" to be beside each other in the hotkey setup

- fixed a minor bug with displaying texture counts in the browser

- merged texture and flat browser source code to reduce code duplication (this shouldn't have any effects that are noticeable to you, but please, keep an eye for new bugs with the texture browser)

- internal changes to how selection is "converted" when switching modes, this should not cause visible behavioral differences, this is just to allow for the new Lua mode to work properly. please report any weird new behavior regarding selection.

- minor tweaks to status bar flavor text

- made it so that the initial directory for the file dialog is separate based on whether it's wads, resources, or prefabs

- fixed certain panels not displaying textures/sprites in windows 8/10 High Contrast mode

- fixed a crash when double click editing sectors in make sectors mode

- fixed negative lighting values not always working right

- fixed lighting levels to clamp to 0-256 not 0-255. you can still manually type in negative or >256 values

- if you press alt or ctrl while drag selecting it doesnt stop selecting

- some things that use the same sprites have been changed to have their editor preview to use a different keyframe (demon/spectre for example)

- fixed an obscure crash in the missing texture error checker

- thing graphics are now square by default because the collision boxes in Doom engine games are actually square

- handle bad plugins more gracefully (hopefully)

- some ui buttons will have the hotkey shown in the tooltip now

36 minutes ago, anotak said:

well, there's stuff moving around, and it's potentially unstable.

but right now the big things are

- Lua support (this is the big thing keeping me from making an official point release as I'm still changing the API)

- rotatable grid (Volte implemented this)

right now the full changes for the alpha version compared to the latest stable version are:

Reveal hidden contents

- new Lua plugin (thanks to Ribbiks, Grain of Salt, Printz, MTrop, and Xaser for feedback)

- All / Textures / Flats / resources categories are on top in the texture browser now. there is an option in preferences to revert to the old behavior: 'Put "All" and resource categories on top in browsers'

- texture categories for subfolders/subwads inside pk3 resource archives

- texture categories remember which one you clicked on properly

- when drag-selecting, hold alt when you release-click to drag-deselect instead

- if you hold alt when you start to drag things, it duplicates them instead.

- bmsq added long texture name support. thanks bmsq!

- drag/dropping a wad file on main window when nothing is open, now opens that wad

- added tooltips for thing/linedef flags in the edit windows

- moved "Grid Increase" / "Grid Decrease" to be beside each other in the hotkey setup

- fixed a minor bug with displaying texture counts in the browser

- merged texture and flat browser source code to reduce code duplication (this shouldn't have any effects that are noticeable to you, but please, keep an eye for new bugs with the texture browser)

- internal changes to how selection is "converted" when switching modes, this should not cause visible behavioral differences, this is just to allow for the new Lua mode to work properly. please report any weird new behavior regarding selection.

- minor tweaks to status bar flavor text

- made it so that the initial directory for the file dialog is separate based on whether it's wads, resources, or prefabs

- fixed certain panels not displaying textures/sprites in windows 8/10 High Contrast mode

- fixed a crash when double click editing sectors in make sectors mode

- fixed negative lighting values not always working right

- fixed lighting levels to clamp to 0-256 not 0-255. you can still manually type in negative or >256 values

- if you press alt or ctrl while drag selecting it doesnt stop selecting

- some things that use the same sprites have been changed to have their editor preview to use a different keyframe (demon/spectre for example)

- fixed an obscure crash in the missing texture error checker

- thing graphics are now square by default because the collision boxes in Doom engine games are actually square

- handle bad plugins more gracefully (hopefully)

- some ui buttons will have the hotkey shown in the tooltip now

Ah I see, so full release is not far away right?

apparently there's a crash with the tagrange plugin and that newest alpha being loaded at the same time.

5 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Ah I see, so full release is not far away right?

ideally not far away, but things have been going badly for me so development has slowed down some

One thing I've noticed that was possible with the original DB2 was the ability to have open a resource file in slade while at the same time working on a map in DB using said resource file. I could edit my resources in slade, save the changes and refresh in DB with F8. I can't save changes to my pk3 until I close the map in DBX. Is it possible to regain the old behavior?

wait what, what happens with DBX? I don't *think* I changed that behavior but I might've done so on accident, or introduced a bug. I thought I did what you described the other day.

When I try to save my pk3 in slade, slade gives me a dialogue window that says to make sure the file isn't in use. So I have to close my map in DBX so I can save my changes in slade. With DB2, I get no such dialogue, slade saves my changes and I just have to hit F8 to refresh my resources.

hmm, i'm doing what you described, and not having any issues on my end. like i said, i do that myself sometimes while using it. i'll try to investigate the relevant parts of the code to see what i might've changed, but i don't think i did change anything about that.

possibly weird question: have you tried rebooting?

Nope, rebooting doesn't solve anything. This issue happened with the older version I was using as well: 2.1.3.4.

I made a bare bones pk3 with a single texture in it and I could not save my changes  I made to it in SLADE until I closed the map running the pk3 as a resource in DBX.

new alpha version

- testing out some experimental changes to geometry merging to fix that issue

- pk3 loading should correctly unlock the file now once resource loading finishes

https://www.sf4remix.com/lilith/doombuilderx-2.1.3.11-alpha9.zip

@Ru5tK1ng this should fix your pk3 issue

to the lua users:

i'm considering changing the Pen object default to NOT snap to the grid anymore by default, any objections?

yea you have to set .snaptogrid to false on the Pen right now

i wasnt thinking about it too hard when i first implemented it since i was just trying to make it behave similar to when the user clicks but that doesnt really make sense at all