Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anotak

Doom Builder X 2021.1 (September 20) - map editor

I got 2 questions about LUA scripting:

1. Could someone make a simple script for me? It involves replacing a couple things, and adding a new room with more things on it. This would help automate a very tedious process i'm doing.

2. If no to the previous question, could someone direct me to some documentation of this LUA scripting thing? It's very hard to understand without some tutorial or documentation to help. I'm not talking about LUA itself, but the way DBX uses it.

Ribbiks mostly answered me but I would also say the scripts that come with DBX are meant to be useful examples. Most of the scripts have detailed comments specifically for the purpose of teaching someone unfamiliar

5 hours ago, anotak said:

Ribbiks mostly answered me but I would also say the scripts that come with DBX are meant to be useful examples. Most of the scripts have detailed comments specifically for the purpose of teaching someone unfamiliar

Oh there are example scripts? Oops, i should have seen that before. Hey @Ribbiks thanks, if i can't make it work then i will ask you for help. Will be sure to check out that link.

There is apparently a bug in Save Map Into, as mentioned in this thread:

I thought you might want to know about it, in case you didn't already know.

appreciate it! it's been on my radar already, just been kind of overwhelmed with other stuff

https://www.sf4remix.com/lilith/doombuilderx-2.1.3.11-alpha10.zip

new alpha version. fixes since last alpha version:

- game config selection improved further

- updated sharpcompress version, pk3 resource performance should be better

- fixed a crash that could rarely happen while moving vertices in UDMF maps

- grid rotate keys use highlighted linedef instead of requiring you to click to select it
- layout adjustments to the linedef info panel

- new script included that will select a linedef and all its neighbors that share the same angle

- workaround for a moonsharp bug, if your lua script stack overflows it shouldn't crash the editor anymore

- lua Pen class defaults to snap to grid off

here's a short video of the new script

https://www.sf4remix.com/anotaks_temp_crap/dbx-select-linedef-by-angle.mp4

full changelog since 2.1.3.10:

version 2.1.3.12
=====================
- new Lua plugin (thanks to Ribbiks, Grain of Salt, Printz, MTrop, and Xaser for feedback)
- All / Textures / Flats / resources categories are on top in the texture browser now. there is an option in preferences to revert to the old behavior: 'Put "All" and resource categories on top in browsers'
- texture categories for subfolders/subwads inside pk3 resource archives
- texture categories remember which one you clicked on properly
- when drag-selecting, hold alt when you release-click to drag-deselect instead
- if you hold alt when you start to drag things, it duplicates them instead.
- bmsq added long texture name support. thanks bmsq!
- drag/dropping a wad file on main window when nothing is open, now opens that wad
- added tooltips for thing/linedef flags in the edit windows
- moved "Grid Increase" / "Grid Decrease" to be beside each other in the hotkey setup
- fixed a minor bug with displaying texture counts in the browser
- merged texture and flat browser source code to reduce code duplication (this shouldn't have any effects that are noticeable to you, but please, keep an eye for new bugs with the texture browser)
- internal changes to how selection is "converted" when switching modes, this should not cause visible behavioral differences, this is just to allow for the new Lua mode to work properly. please report any weird new behavior regarding selection.
- minor changes to linedef info panel layout
- minor tweaks to status bar flavor text
- made it so that the initial directory for the file dialog is separate based on whether it's wads, resources, or prefabs
- fixed "Save Map Into" overwriting MAP01s
- fixed certain panels not displaying textures/sprites in windows 8/10 High Contrast mode
- fixed a crash when double click editing sectors in make sectors mode
- fixed negative lighting values not always working right
- fixed lighting levels to clamp to 0-256 not 0-255. you can still manually type in negative or >256 values
- if you press alt or ctrl while drag selecting it doesnt stop selecting
- some things that use the same sprites have been changed to have their editor preview to use a different keyframe (demon/spectre for example)
- fixed an obscure crash in the missing texture error checker
- thing graphics are now square by default because the collision boxes in Doom engine games are actually square
- handle bad plugins more gracefully (hopefully)
- some ui buttons will have the hotkey shown in the tooltip now
- remember last chosen game config when making a new map
- added ZDBSP extended nodes config (thanks to Ribbiks)

Edited by anotak

the main reasons are:

- significantly better performance / responsiveness & less memory usage

- less cluttered UI, many things require less clicks

- lua scripting

https://www.sf4remix.com/lilith/doombuilderx-2019.1-alpha11.zip

new alpha version

changes from previous alpha:

- finally support for Visplane Explorer plugin, sorry for the long delay on that. I need people to test this out to make sure it's working right, as I'm not much of a vanilla mapper myself.

- updated automap mode / sound propagation / tagrange / stairbuilder plugins to newest versions

- changed to Year.Revision version numbering

- some minor adjustments to the lua script ui

- Included a script to swap linedef indices for when that matters.

Thinking about releasing this as a full version soon, assuming there are no major bugs. I'm not 100% happy with the state of the Lua plugin UI but if I go for perfect I'll never finish it.

full changelog since 2.1.3.10 in the spoiler

version 2019.1

=====================
- new Lua plugin (thanks to Ribbiks, Grain of Salt, Printz, MTrop, and Xaser for feedback)
- Better support for Visplane Explorer, Tag Range, Stair Builder, Sound Propagation, and Automap plugins
- All / Textures / Flats / resources categories are on top in the texture browser now. there is an option in preferences to revert to the old behavior: 'Put "All" and resource categories on top in browsers'
- drag/dropping a wad file on main window when nothing is open, now opens that wad
- moved "Grid Increase" / "Grid Decrease" to be beside each other in the hotkey setup
- merged texture and flat browser source code to reduce code duplication (this shouldn't have any effects that are noticeable to you, but please, keep an eye for new bugs with the texture browser)
- internal changes to how selection is "converted" when switching modes, this should not cause visible behavioral differences, this is just to allow for the new Lua mode to work properly. please report any weird new behavior regarding selection.
- made it so that the initial directory for the file dialog is separate based on whether it's wads, resources, or prefabs
- fixed certain panels not displaying textures/sprites in windows 8/10 High Contrast mode
- fixed lighting levels to clamp to 0-256 not 0-255. you can still manually type in negative or >256 values
- some things that use the same sprites have been changed to have their editor preview to use a different keyframe (demon/spectre for example)
- thing graphics are now square by default because the collision boxes in Doom engine games are actually square
- asterisk in title bar when file has been altered.
- new versioning system. Year.Relase Number, starting at 0. this version would have been 2.1.3.12 under the old system.

hi everyone, new version here, 2019.1 finally is released

full changelog:

version 2019.1
=====================
- Better support for Visplane Explorer, Tag Range, Stair Builder, Sound Propagation, and Automap plugins
- warn instead of crash on duplicate filenames in pk3/pk7/pke
- asterisk in title bar when file has been altered.
- new versioning system. Year.Release Number, starting at 0. this version would have been 2.1.3.12 under the old system.

I just have to say thank you for this. I was having that stutting issue in visual mode in DB2 and forgot how nice it was to have smooth movement while looking at my maps. I'm a very happy camper.

Oh shit! I was not aware that DBX got support for the Visplane Explorer! Now I think I can finally move from DB2 to X
Thanks a lot!

Visplane Explorer is pretty useless. Chocorenderlimits or plain vanilla are your only safe bets.

Check out that map I've attached. It gets me a maximum of 68/128 visplanes reported by GZDB's integrated Visplane Explorer, and even fewer in the standalone application, but massive HOMs and a "no more visplanes" crash in vanilla.

synth07p.zip

VE.png

The map is map 07, BTW. It's a work-in-progress.

This is what Chocorenderlimits gets me. 190 visplanes alerady, and the Arachnotrons haven't even shown up yet.

CRL.png

5 hours ago, Get Phobo said:

Visplane Explorer is pretty useless. Chocorenderlimits or plain vanilla are your only safe bets.

Check out that map I've attached. It gets me a maximum of 68/128 visplanes reported by GZDB's integrated Visplane Explorer, and even fewer in the standalone application, but massive HOMs and a "no more visplanes" crash in vanilla.

it's not useless. it's always been a underestimate that can let you know about problem areas. it should be used in supplement with CRL of course.

mappers on many well-known vanilla projects use visplane explorer.

there absolutely is no way to create perfect visplane-detecting tool in the next few decades (and possibly ever), although improvements could always be made of course.

1 hour ago, Grain of Salt said:

Are they bringing more visplanes?

Well, perhaps, depending on where you are. They stand on hidden platforms within the top surrounding wall that get lowered when you walk over the red squares down in the pit (that's the current WIP setup, anyway). So, no, they won't bring about more visplanes immediately but might later on.

For some reason DB2 now closes itself when attempting to load a WAD or creating a map, so i tried with DBX, and exact same issue...

Tried reinstalling drivers, .net and visual++ redists (also through the Enable & disables features of Windows), clean install of DB2 / DBX... still crashes.

35 minutes ago, TeknoRider said:

For some reason DB2 now closes itself when attempting to load a WAD or creating a map, so i tried with DBX, and exact same issue...

Tried reinstalling drivers, .net and visual++ redists (also through the Enable & disables features of Windows), clean install of DB2 / DBX... still crashes.

WJkCqId.png

Which version of SlimDX is installed on your computer?

For DB2/DBX, being 32 bit apps, it should be SlimDX Runtime .NET 2.0 (January 2012). Since the SlimDX website is no more I provided external MediaFire links in my tutorial.

Edited by Kappes Buur : added image

27 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

WJkCqId.png

Which version of SlimDX is installed on your computer?

For DB2/DBX, being 32 bit apps, it should be SlimDX Runtime .NET 2.0 (January 2012). Since the SlimDX website is no more I provided external MediaFire links in my tutorial.

I have the SlimDX 2.0 x86 Jan 2012. tried uninstalling it, reinstalling it, still closes...

58 minutes ago, TeknoRider said:

I have the SlimDX 2.0 x86 Jan 2012. tried uninstalling it, reinstalling it, still closes...

Ok, you have SlimDX. Let's step back then.

You mentioned that "For some reason DB2 now closes itself ", so it was working before.

Then what has changed since?

When you installed DBX, did you install into a dedicated folder or into the old DB2 folder?

Do you have these files in the DBX folder:

kar6gLY.png

?

Edited by Kappes Buur : added screenshot

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

You mentioned that "For some reason DB2 now closes itself ", so it was working before.

Then what has changed since?

I don't know, i can't tell what has changed. Eventvwr talks about a .net 2.0 error. tried reinstalling to no avail so...

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

When you installed DBX, did you install into a dedicated folder or into the old DB2 folder?

Do you have these files in the DBX folder:

The DBX folder is on my desktop, freshly extracted .

Spoiler

image.png.3d29358d8b666b00149ef24918ce136b.png

1 hour ago, TeknoRider said:

I don't know, i can't tell what has changed. Eventvwr talks about a .net 2.0 error. tried reinstalling to no avail so...

DBX (see Prerequisites for running) needs .NET Framework 3.5, so I would think that this .NET 2.0 error refers to the SlimDX app.

1 hour ago, TeknoRider said:

The DBX folder is on my desktop, freshly extracted .

I also have an icon for DBX on the desktop.

A09cJeP.png

But where, drive and folder, is the actual installation?

For DBX to run properly I would suggest a folder such as

C:\EDITOR\DBX\doombuilderx-2019.1

to keep it away from C:\Program Files (x86).

The DB2 is is C:/Program Files (x86) and DBX is in a folder on my desktop (C:/Users/......../Desktop).

I also have an other copy of DBX in my D: Drive (D:/DoomProject/DBX), which closes like all the other versions.

I just tried to revert back to older drivers (the latest Creators ones, 481.something instead of 486.something, gtx 1060), tried to run DBX/2 using iGPU or GPU, no changes.

I have the NVIDIA driver 431.60 installed.

Just to recapitulate, to run DBX or DB2 properly you need

• the editor, installed in a dedicated folder, not in Users or Program Files (x86)
  • .NET Framework 3.5
  • DirectX 9.0c Runtime
  • SlimDX Runtime .NET 2.0 (January 2012)
  • updated systems files
  • a valid graphics driver

From my tutorial

... some mappers report difficulty with installing the support files. If that should happen, downloading and running Doom Builder 2.1.2.1553 setup installation solved those problems in most cases for the 32 bit editor before GZDBBF_r3018.

Again, install in a dedicated folder.

If that still does not work than I would have a serious look at the computer system files.

To keep my system healthy I run Piriform's CCleaner Custom Clean after each internet session and the Registry Cleaner after every 2 or 3 weeks of computer use. 

Spoiler

NWlh1xA.png

Edited by Kappes Buur : added graphics driver comment

can you share your log file? (either upload it somewhere, or paste the contents into pastebin)

the file should be in the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\Doom Builder\

the file would be called BuilderX.log

5 hours ago, anotak said:

can you share your log file? (either upload it somewhere, or paste the contents into pastebin)

the file should be in the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\Doom Builder\

the file would be called BuilderX.log

builderslogs.zip here they are

9 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

If that still does not work than I would have a serious look at the computer system files.

To keep my system healthy I run Piriform's CCleaner Custom Clean after each internet session and the Registry Cleaner after every 2 or 3 weeks of computer use. 

I also did a custom clean before installing. I didn't do a registry clean however, i had the habit of doing regularly until it fucked up 2 windows installations right one after the other. So i'm a bit reluctant on doing a cleaning with it.

Edited by TeknoRider