Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anotak

Doom Builder X 2021.1 (September 20) - map editor

1 hour ago, Antroid said:

The controls preferences even call the visual mode action "raise/lower brightness by 8" specifically, but it snaps to values with a step of 16. Same with when I click the up or down arrow in the sector properties. I have some vague memory of doing something to force it to actually snap to values of 8 but I for the life of me cannot find how or what I need to do.

You can change the lighting stepsize via Configurations/Includes/Doom_misc.cfg

Look for these lines:

// Default sector brightness levels
sectorbrightness
{
	256; 240; 224; 208; 192; 176; 160; 144;
	128; 112; 96; 80; 64; 48; 32; 16; 0;
}

And alter them to your desired values (e.g. 256; 248; 240; 232; etc..)

5 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

You can change the lighting stepsize via Configurations/Includes/Doom_misc.cfg

Thanks a lot! I'm sure I don't have to say this but it worked. I wonder if I had to do it in DB2 and how I found out. Must have been more open to experimentation and digging through config files back in the day.

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

Where can I find the Reference Manual in DBX?

I don't think the manual was updated in dbx to include anything beyond what was present in the db2 version (attached to this post, if you unzip it and put it in the same folder as dbx you should be able to load it up from within the editor).

If you're looking for lua-specific documentation, that can be found here: https://github.com/anotak/doombuilderx/wiki It's not as fleshed out as it could be, but that's on my todo list :)

Refmanual.chm.zip

@Ribbiks

Just as I thought. Thank you.

So, that means for those who download DBX they must also download one of the other DB2 family editor. A bit inconvenient.

Unless they either read this thread or the Doombuilder Guide. :)

anotak,

I wanted to create a plugin that adds a plethora of neat capabilities to DBX.  I started writing the code and got about 25% of what I want done,  however,  I'm running into an issue with the real nuts and bolts because I need to be able to read and write lumps that aren't in the lump range used for a map (example MAPINFO, WADINFO, ...),  and the WadReader class is internal, so I, from a Plugin perspective, have no way of working with other lumps in the WAD that aren't exposed through Map.GetLumpData/Map.SetLumpData/etc.  

I'm curious if you'd either consider making this functionality accessible to plugins,  or if you'd rather I just write my stuff into the DoomBuilder core and post my work as a pull request.

Here's what I'm looking to add:

• Editors for MAPINFO, WADINFO, ANCRINFO, CMPNGINFO, etc.
  • DECORATE actor/class editors complete with frame/sprite editing
  • General lump management (import, export, backup, etc.)

If we go down the plugin road,  here's what I need access to from an external assembly standpoint:

• A reference to the DataLocation value used for the currently loaded map (Map has the file name, but not the full struct)
  • A reference to the WadReader used to read the current WAD, and for WadReader to be a public class

Thanks!

Nill

MaxED started doing something like this in GZDoom Builder and was held

over in GZDoom Builder Bugfix. But then both of them were no longer worked

on and the extra text editing stuff was eradicated in UDB.

This was incorporated into the editor itself, not in a plugin.

anotak is no longer maintaining DBX themself. They would be happy to hand it over to a new suitable caretaker. In the meantime I've been made a collaborator on the repository, and can now merge pull requests in and such, if people have them. I might do some work on DBX myself but I'm often so busy these days that finding time to work just on EE is difficult. Regardless I will most certainly try.

Edited by Altazimuth : My first sentence was shit.

30 minutes ago, Altazimuth said:

anotak is no longer maintaining DBX themself. They would be happy to hand it over to a new suitable caretaker. In the meantime I've been made a collaborator on the repository, and can now merge pull requests in and such, if people have them. I might do some work on DBX myself but I'm often so busy these days that finding time to work just on EE is difficult. Regardless I will most certainly try.

Cool, how did you manage it? Did @anotak have you as a team member? It would be great if you can help with DBX, because that editor really looked promising.

11 minutes ago, printz said:

Cool, how did you manage it? Did @anotak have you as a team member?

I still have contact with anotak. I saw stuff mentioned in here and discussed it, given I knew they weren't currently maintaining it. Today I figured I'd ask to be made owner of the repo, but just making me a collaborator was easier so that's what happened.

https://github.com/anotak/doombuilderx/releases/download/v2021.1/doombuilderx-2021.1.zip

new version 2021.1, this stuff mostly just sat on the github for 2 years. today, i got an automated email from github informing about a security hole in SharpCompress, which may affect PK3 loading (see here if you need more info on the hole https://github.com/advisories/GHSA-jp7f-grcv-6mjf ). i'm not back for good, please do not take this that way, just i have a responsibility to not leave the security hole lying around. i'm not certain if DBX was actually affected by this hole, but I wasn't ready to fuck around and find out. fwiw i think all the GZDB based editors might be affected as well.

- bumped sharpcompress version to 0.29 in order to fix security advisory https://github.com/advisories/GHSA-jp7f-grcv-6mjf
- fixed null pointer exception in 3D mode when changing sidedef (thanks to Davidmerkt.)
- added EE heretic UDMF config (thanks to Altazimuth and Printz)
- fixed some various config issues (thanks to Altazimuth and Printz)
- fixed issue with sectors being deleted in the middle of merging newly drawn geometry, causing a crash
- fixed a visual bug with vertex edit form not updating UDMF custom properties correctly.

30 minutes ago, anotak said:

https://github.com/anotak/doombuilderx/releases/download/v2021.1/doombuilderx-2021.1.zip

new version 2021.1, this stuff mostly just sat on the github for 2 years. today, i got an automated email from github informing about a security hole in SharpCompress, which may affect PK3 loading (see here if you need more info on the hole https://github.com/advisories/GHSA-jp7f-grcv-6mjf ). i'm not back for good, please do not take this that way, just i have a responsibility to not leave the security hole lying around. i'm not certain if DBX was actually affected by this hole, but I wasn't ready to fuck around and find out. fwiw i think all the GZDB based editors might be affected as well.

- bumped sharpcompress version to 0.29 in order to fix security advisory https://github.com/advisories/GHSA-jp7f-grcv-6mjf
- fixed null pointer exception in 3D mode when changing sidedef (thanks to Davidmerkt.)
- added EE heretic UDMF config (thanks to Altazimuth and Printz)
- fixed some various config issues (thanks to Altazimuth and Printz)
- fixed issue with sectors being deleted in the middle of merging newly drawn geometry, causing a crash
- fixed a visual bug with vertex edit form not updating UDMF custom properties correctly.

Thank you for the patch! It's good to see you again.

The included SharpCompress.dll is still 0.23, not 0.29. SharpCompress now also is only for .NET Standard 2.0+ or .NET Core, so to use it on some lower versions it needs a bunch of dependencies. What's worse is that the API changed some time (years?) ago, so just dropping in a new DLL probably isn't enough (at least it isn't for UDB).

However, DBX doesn't even seem to use the problematic method, so it's likely not even an issue.

[edit] Actually, just replacing the DLL for DBX might work, apparently only UDB uses the changed API calls.

Edited by boris

hm, you're right. this is what i get for trying to use a build process and a language i haven't touched in 2 years. that's actually a much bigger issue because it means i can't upgrade it, since one of the main features of DBX is Windows XP compatibility.

After digging, it appears the (indirectly) potentially vulnerable functions are:

- WriteEntryToDirectory

- WriteToDirectory

- WriteAllToDirectory

dbx doesn't seem to call any of them. i'm still a little bit worried about just signing off on this as safe, because i've seen too many folks get burned by some unexpected side effect with using an old library. but it looks safe to me? idk.

I'm honestly not sure how the dependencies work here. UDB uses .Net 4.7.2, but it can still use SharpCompress 0.29 - but to do so NuGet adds a handful of other dependencies, which seem to be the newer DLLs missing from .Net 4.7.2. So that might work with .Net 3.5? If all that works on Windows XP I don't know.