Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anotak

Doom Builder X 2021.1 (September 20) - map editor

hey so,

first off some good news, a new version is coming soon that fixes that one bug where geometry doesn't merge quite right sometimes.

second off, i need to address something:

i'm making an informal non-legally-binding promise to people using DBX. non-legally binding because i did not pay a lawyer to look over this, and i don't know enough about law to make sure that i'm not doing something very illegal, but if someone wants to help me to pay a lawyer to make this more official i'd be okay with that.

it's silly that i need to do this, but another major doom related program is planning to implement some code that will report the user's IP address and hardware information to the owners of that project. their intentions seem good. however, i believe that this is wrong, regardless of intent.

As long as I lead the DBX project, DBX will not collect information about you or your computer and automatically send it over the internet to anybody; unless it were absolutely required for some new feature. if it was, that feature would be absolutely 100% OPT-IN only. the data sent would be clearly explained. The explanation would be featured prominently on the download pages, a text file in the folder, the changelogs, and the software itself. any data collected would be deleted as soon as possible. but i do not currently have plans to do anything like that at all, ever.

i unfortunately cannot promise the same for 3rd party plugins or the outside software that DBX relies on (.NET, SlimDX, DirectX, DevIL, Scintilla, SharpCompress). however, i do promise to try to keep an eye on that stuff.

Edited by anotak

15 hours ago, anotak said:

it's silly that i need to do this, but another major doom related program is planning to implement some code that will report the user's IP address and hardware information to the owners of that project. their intentions seem good. however, i believe that this is wrong, regardless of intent.

Which program are you talking about? ZDaemon?

new version 2.1.3.10

i recommend everyone download this version bc it fixes a bug with merging geometry that can potentially mess up your map

changelog:

version 2.1.3.10
=====================
- fixed newly drawn geometry merging incorrectly in rare circumstances
- fixed inconsistent behavior when drawing new geometry counterclockwise to more resemble the DB2 behavior
- fixed some weirdnesses with the Map Options screen if you had the first game config selected (Boom by default)
- when you alt-tab back into the script editor, the keyboard focus goes to the text box as expected
- when you Save As, the filename is filled in already with the current one
- renamed UDMF/Hexen activation stuff relating to projectiles because it's more correct and less confusing
- fixed crash when creating a new level with no resources selected and randomized textures
- fixed a crash when going in 3d mode with no resources loaded
- fixed a potential threading error with unknown images
- crossported one of MaxED's optimization to drawing new geometry from gzdb
- hide matching texture sets with 0 textures in the texture browser
- additional logging for shader loading crashes

Edited by anotak

Question: is Doom Builder X capable of loading PKE-layout uncompressed folders as data resources, and reading the textures from TEXTURE1.lmp, TEXTURE2.lmp and PNAMES.lmp files stored in the directory root? I'm getting black patches instead, and exclamation marks in the UI.

The flats, which are stored in \flats as exact lump exports (with the .raw extension) work just fine in DBX. Same with textures stored in \textures as .lmp files (Doom-format non-flat graphics). But, as said, TEXTUREx and PNAMES files fail.

hm i honestly dont know offhand, i haven't looked at that before, i'll have to investigate. can you send me the file that's giving you issues?

@Altazimuth was the one who implemented the PKE support, which as far as i know was closely based on the existing db2 PK3 support.

Doom Builder X doesn't show the asterisk when the file is dirty? GZDB does.

On 3/17/2018 at 1:20 PM, printz said:

Doom Builder X doesn't show the asterisk when the file is dirty? GZDB does.

i'll look into it

11 hours ago, Nautkillius said:

I just wanted to ask if you can see the 3D floors.

yes, the included gzdoomediting plugin

On 1/1/2018 at 3:07 PM, anotak said:

if you set up the included GZDoom Editing plugin made by MaxED for the old DB2

xfJ1QGll.png

it will show some slopes and 3d floors (though not all, depends on what kind they are)

18 hours ago, Nautkillius said:

I just wanted to ask if you can see the 3D floors.

Yes, you have to enable the plugin in F6 - Modes, but only for UDMF

5OdOx7l.png

Then, as anotak mentioned, use Q to see the 3D floors, even sloped ones.

hiP6rwI.png

However, to see sloped 3D floors in-game you have to use the hardware renderer, eg GZDoom.

Edited by Kappes Buur

new version coming in the next few weeks hopefully

the big news is be the lua scripting plugin i've been working on that will hopefully let people easily design their own tools and do all sorts of fun things

Hi guys. New to the forum, but not to mapping.

Updated DBC app - wow! I have been off the scene for a while, so great surprise to come back to :D

I am having some issues running DBX though, hoping someone can help me. When opening the builder.exe on a fresh install I get an error message displaying the following: "This application requires the latest version of Microsoft DirectX installed on your computer. Do you want to install and/or update DirectX now?"

I am running Win7 with DirectX 11. If following through and clicking yes to the question, the subsequent DirectX app installer logically enough says that I have a newer or equivalent version already installed.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Any help very much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Vinzent said:

I am having some issues running DBX though, hoping someone can help me......

In a case like this I recommend to install the setup for DB2, which will install all prerequisites.

After that use DBX.

In at least 99% of the cases this solves the issue.

4 hours ago, Vinzent said:

Hi guys. New to the forum, but not to mapping.

Updated DBC app - wow! I have been off the scene for a while, so great surprise to come back to :D

I am having some issues running DBX though, hoping someone can help me. When opening the builder.exe on a fresh install I get an error message displaying the following: "This application requires the latest version of Microsoft DirectX installed on your computer. Do you want to install and/or update DirectX now?"

I am running Win7 with DirectX 11. If following through and clicking yes to the question, the subsequent DirectX app installer logically enough says that I have a newer or equivalent version already installed.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Any help very much appreciated.

hey, sorry, i really need to update that error message, it was accurate when it was first written by CodeImp like 10 years ago, lol.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

you need DirectX 9.0c, because 11 isn't backwards compatible, and 9.0c isn't included in windows (you can have both 9.0c and 11 installed at the same time, just fine).

I skimmed over the first couple of pages but wasn't able to see anything about how this Doom builder X is compared Gzdoom builder. What are the perks of using Doom Builder X vs Gzdoom Builder which is my current tool?

13 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I skimmed over the first couple of pages but wasn't able to see anything about how this Doom builder X is compared Gzdoom builder. What are the perks of using Doom Builder X vs Gzdoom Builder which is my current tool?

less features mostly, but much more responsive, less RAM usage, UI requires less clicks

dbx is basically db2 but with bugfixes, less crashes, and lots of optimizations

metaphorically, gzdb is one of those swiss army knives that's got everything on it, like a can opener and stuff. dbx is better at just being the knife, but it doesn't have a can opener.

there are mappers who use both, depending on the situation.

Anotak and Kappes - thank you both very much for your inputs.

I already had DB2 installed, and had the same problem there. I had also tried installing DirectX 9.0c components via the web installer, but it kept tellling me that I was already running a newer or equivalent version.

After some "playing around" to find a solution, I ended up copying D3DX9_43.dll directly into the DB2 / DBX folder, and then it works! This file must have been corrupt in my system or something.

Now back to mapping! :D

@anotak I'm not really mapping very much anymore, cuz I suck hard, but I like your metaphor. The only reason that I don't use DBX much is that it doesn't have the presets I need. Its very, very good otherwise; I especially like the pen-drawing mode.

Has anyone requested the ability to change the default "missing texture" image? It would be handy to replace the blinding red ! with something both more helpful and easier on the eyes.

10 hours ago, Marcaek said:

Has anyone requested the ability to change the default "missing texture" image? It would be handy to replace the blinding red ! with something both more helpful and easier on the eyes.

it's definitely on the list, i will keep it in mind

i have been also thinking of replacing the default with something similar as to not mess up people who are used to it but maybe with some blue/purple tint to the red to help differentiate from the default doom palette and help people who are red/green colorblind.

oh, to be clear, i'd appreciate any feedback on the thing about changing the default missing-texture. of course, i'd only change it if i also add a way for the user to set it, and include the old one for people who want to still use the old one.

random thought 2:

i'm thinking of changing the names of join/merge sector because it's really not clear what the difference is a lot of the time to people. i always have to doublecheck which is which, myself (merge removes lines that were on the edges of both sectors). some suggestions i got on discord were "join/superjoin" and "join/union".

13 minutes ago, anotak said:

i'm thinking of changing the names of join/merge sector because it's really not clear what the difference is a lot of the time to people.

Personally I think that "merge" is a pretty good descriptor of what's gonna happen when you use that function. If anything, I believe that "join" is a bit of a misnomer. But I don't have a good idea as to what to replace "join" with. For me these functions also don't really have "names" anymore, they're just "j" or "shift+j".

That seems a daftly silly change to make over semantics, and far more absurd by the apparent suggestions for names. Personally I find the current names to be both concise and self-explanatory, especially when the words are put side-by-side. Join and superjoin like wtf is that? Also, if the definition of "join" was a problem against "merge," how much worse will it be when it's join and superjoin? Or double-y so for join and union, when a union is basically a more official joining, such as political.

Some better names would be link and merge, but even for that set, so long as the hotkey remains "j" it'll be a little awkward calling something linking while hitting the join button, and with as common as joining sectors is for mappers to do, I don't see changing the hotkey's default key sticking/catching on, (we're too programmed to hit j and not think twice at this point) and thus the new name as well. At least until the next gen of mappers comes along! Heh

Replacing "Join" with "Union" would make more sense from a mathematical perspective but it would probably be more opaque to most users, plus pressing "J" would be more confusing.

just as a rule: default hotkeys are not ever changing btw, barring some very bizarre circumstances.

i may add an ability to bind a 2nd hotkey to stuff though, if i ever can get over some of the implementation annoyances

1 hour ago, Fonze said:

Some better names would be link and merge, but even for that set, so long as the hotkey remains "j" it'll be a little awkward calling something linking while hitting the join button

I too thought "link" would make more sense, but went through the literal exact same thought process regarding the "j" hotkey!

I have nothing to add to this thread other than thanks for the nice work. I'm really glad to see db2 improvements again without the bloat and ruined workflow of gzdb

You could always simply go for "merge (remove borders)" and "join (keep borders)" .

@anotak Thanks. I will use it instead of Doom Builder 1. I will go back to Doom Builder 1 if I don't like Doom Builder X.

(reason I don't use Doom Builder 2 is because it glitches along with consistent errors saying "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application!" etc. and I tried every development version of it and it doesn't work, and I am not even sure why not, it worked fine before the latest HDD wipe I got, but still not sure why it doesn't work anymore, in case I didn't meet the compatibility requirements, I am using Windows 7, btw not sure how Doom Builder 1 works there)

if you get a message like that with dbx, it should produce a logfile if you open a new explorer window and type

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Doom Builder

up top, there should be a file called BuilderX-lastcrash.log

please post it, so that i can try to fix whatever problems happen.