Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lazorinc

Recovering PK3 file

So here's what happened. Apparently, one of the old Slade 3's autosave bugged out while I was working on a mod, and now the entire file comes up blank, or won't load at all due to "Archive format". I imagine that this is just my file now being royally fucked, so is there any kind of quick recovery method that can be used for a PK3? Despite being blank in the editor, the file size is still the save in my folder, so something must still be in there.

Supposedly, there are tools that can repair a Zip file. In the DOS days, it was called PKZIPFIX.EXE. I think it can correct some very specific issues when a zip file's internal bookkeeping gets out of whack, like from a partial update. If it is truly a zip file, the first 2 bytes of the file should contain "PK".

But, based on your description, I can't tell what happened. Make backups before you run a recover program, and look for autosave/backup files. Often, these tools will do an autosave, so, if you're careful, and find it before loading anything else, you might get your file back.

Good luck.

14 hours ago, kb1 said:

Supposedly, there are tools that can repair a Zip file. In the DOS days, it was called PKZIPFIX.EXE. I think it can correct some very specific issues when a zip file's internal bookkeeping gets out of whack, like from a partial update. If it is truly a zip file, the first 2 bytes of the file should contain "PK".

But, based on your description, I can't tell what happened. Make backups before you run a recover program, and look for autosave/backup files. Often, these tools will do an autosave, so, if you're careful, and find it before loading anything else, you might get your file back.

Good luck.

I wish I could tell you more, but it was just a completely random occurance. I tried the backups, both the bak file and the zip that goes in AppData, but the former was exactly the same, and the latter wasn't even there. I'll see what I can do with the fix, thanks for the help.

If you can use a hex editor, see if the first 2 bytes of the file are "PK". This will determine if the file is in PK format. Or upload it somewhere, and I'll  search the entire hard drive for a file edited on the day in question. You might get lucky and find a copy in a temp folder.

Edited by kb1

After running the bak through 7-zip, all of the content is somehow magically still in there, just not displaying in Slade. All I had to do was extract everything in it, rezip, and they all show up in Slade again, so problem solved I guess, appreciate the tips.

Does Slade have direct support for 7-Zip format, vs WinZip format?

Image files can be in .bmp, .gif, .png, .jpg, and a bunch of other formats. Sounds can be .wav, .mpg, .mod, etc.

File compressors store compressed files in a particular format. 7-Zip uses a specific format. WinZip uses a format different than 7-Zip. PKZip and PK3 are basically different names for the WinZip format.

Older image editing programs do not understand, for example, .PNG images. Similarly, some programs that can handle WinZip/PKZip/PK3 compressed files cannot understand 7-Zip/PK7 files.

In fact, I don't know of any Doom engines that directly understand 7-Zip files (but maybe that has changed since I looked last). So, my question was: Does Slade have direct support for 7-Zip format> Because that might explain what happened in your situation.

Anyway, glad you got it working!

Ah, I see now, just a bit confused by the broad term "format". Well it wasn't actually a 7-zip file for itself. It was the auto backup generated by Slade. The thing was whenever I loaded it into Slade, the file appeared completely empty, but putting it in 7-zip let me see everything that was in it. I'm pretty sure if I saved the blank one then that would've wiped everything. As for actual 7-zip files, I don't know if Slade supports them or not because I've never had to use the two even close to each other until just recently.