Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Why does my WAD crash Doomsday?

Question

So a while ago I released a WAD and the first and only rating it got was a one star because it crashes Doomsday. I didn't test it on Doomsday because I didn't think people still used it. Still, I would like to fix the problem. I have no idea what's going on.

Here is the WAD.

14 answers to this question

Doomsday 2.0.3 log gets:
Uncaught exception: (in Wad::cacheLump) Failed on allocation of 0 bytes for cache copy of lump #33

That 33rd lump is a zero sized dehacked lump. The wad has two deh lumps in total. After deleting the empty one Deng can run all the maps.

I don't know if the maps and Boom actions play right otherways. Doomsday runs but it isn't really playable on this computer. The maps look good though.

Unfortunately some other ports get hurt by a couple of other things:

Spoiler

With the latest GZDooms/QZDooms the player gets trapped in the start of MAP29 because of the adjacent sectors tagged as doors. This error doesn't happen in GZDoom 2.4.0, ZDooms, Pr/GlBooms or Doom Retro.

- - - - - - -
Eternity freezes on MAP28 startup. An error message tells that libstdc++-6.dll is missing from the Windows. (But it's not included with the other lib*.dll files in eternity zip) With -nomusic MAP28 loads OK. MAP29-30 musics play fine.

- - - - - - - -
Edge 1.35 and 3DGE crash at start because TEXTURE1 has it's 1st and last texture (both named AASHITTY) defined with no patches. After adding one random patch in both Edge 1.35 can run the wad. But 3DGE crash again on MAP28 because of "OPL player: couldn't load song". With -nomusic MAP28 plays fine. In Edge 1.35 without -nomusic I can hear only the MAP29 music. In 3DGE MAP29 and MAP30 musics play OK. But I don't know if this is my system's own fault.

- - - - - - - -
Risen 3D crash on start for the empty deh file, and MAP28 also because some lines are missing both sides.

I don't know of other errors. It'd require plenty of play testing.

19 hours ago, dl_simc said:

That 33rd lump is a zero sized dehacked lump. The wad has two deh lumps in total. After deleting the empty one Deng can run all the maps.

9 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

What exactly am I supposed to do?

Delete the empty DEHACKED lump.

11 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

One more thing. If I fix it will I be able to report the review so that it gets deleted?

The txt file tells that it requires Boom and has been tested with GZDoom and PrBoom+. Doomsday has had zero support for Boom actions. In that sense the low review is bogus. I don't know if it is possible to remove. You could ask the site maintainers. (Or the original reviewer...?)

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

Doomsday and the source port does not display the correct skyboxes. Any ideas why?

The skybox is made with Boom lineaction 271: transfer sky texture. Doomsday just doesn't support it. Edge and 3DGE do have a Boom support except 271/272.

Don't worry of the musics. After only downloading the needed dll files Eternity can play the musics. So that was my own goof up. Sorry!

The new GZDooms trap the player in the start of MAP29. This seems to happen with builds after May 2017. I guess they've changed something in the door opening logic behavior. I'll try post an error report to ask this. If possible don't do anything for that yet.

Text file says, that mapset was made in boom format, so more advanced ports should work. Actually, it's not your fault that people refuse load mapset in proper engine and give try again. I guess, I'll give try to your wad and try fix that negative thing. 

On 12.9.2017 at 2:51 AM, DooM_RO said:

I have no idea what's going on.

Unfortunately that reviewer also doesn't provide a lot of information either. Did you try to replicate the crash yet? And if so, did you get an error message of some sorts?

I remember that, back when I wanted to play that set of yours, that some hella old Zandronum I had on my machine also wouldn't run the maps for some reason, and I remember actually sending you a PM because of this. The error message stated that there was a "bad texture directory", which funnily enough was no problem at all for GZDoom when I loaded the wad in there. Perhaps that error message Zandro displayed is also what's causing your maps not to run with Doomsday.

The last time I looked, Doomsday didn't support Boom, but maybe it does now. Doomsday also has its own native format with some pretty advanced features, but such maps would work only in Doomsday.

2 hours ago, dl_simc said:

Eternity freezes on MAP28 startup. An error message tells that libstdc++-6.dll is missing from the Windows. (But it's not included with the other lib*.dll files in eternity zip) With -nomusic MAP28 loads OK. MAP29-30 musics play fine

2 hours ago, dl_simc said:

But 3DGE crash again on MAP28 because of "OPL player: couldn't load song".

Hm interesting. I was thinking about putting opl music (like from adlib tracker 2) in my wads sometimes but now I'm a little more wary because of possible dependency issues :/ The opl player is obviously crashing because of the missing dll, I imagine other non midi format players like dumb would have issues as well... It's kind of odd that libstdc++ would be missing from your system, what version of Windows do you have? I always have issues with msvcp but never libstdc++.

I'm not near a computer right now so I can't really test it (I believe there is a source port for Android but there is no way I am going to try to play doom on a phone lol) but I will be around one tomorrow so I will try it then and see if i can spot any issues on the latest version of gzdoom

I apologize for my noobishness but I don't really understand all of this technical stuff. What exactly am I supposed to do? The WAD worked just fine in PrBoom+ and GZDoom. 

Aside from the music there aren't any custom resources in it.

One more thing. If I fix it will I be able to report the review so that it gets deleted? This was my first WAD and I worked really hard on this and it's quite disheartening to get a one star review that doesn't even explain anything. If you guys play it, I would also appreciate any kind of review.

Thanks a lot for the help! I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, the problems don't stop here. For some reason the maps are very laggy in Doomsday and the source port does not display the correct skyboxes. Any ideas why?

Perhaps the most simple solution is to specify in the text file that it may not run with any port that wasn't used for testing.

I think that review is a really shitty way to act, fuck that person. I dunno if any admins will end up reading this but maybe there's a feature available (or potential for) that would automatically remove reviews once a certain ratio of users mark them as unhelpful?

I'll play your wad, although it's a beast at first glance so gimme a few days :P

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Perhaps the most simple solution is to specify in the text file that it may not run with any port that wasn't used for testing.

I think that review is a really shitty way to act, fuck that person. I dunno if any admins will end up reading this but maybe there's a feature available (or potential for) that would automatically remove reviews once a certain ratio of users mark them as unhelpful?

I'll play your wad, although it's a beast at first glance so gimme a few days :P

Eh, they seem new to the community so I won't hold it against them. 

You're right, the maps are really big so if you don't have time for them then it's understandable.

9 hours ago, dl_simc said:

The new GZDooms trap the player in the start of MAP29. This seems to happen with builds after May 2017. I guess they've changed something in the door opening logic behavior. I'll try post an error report to ask this. If possible don't do anything for that yet.

Just tested it. It works but thanks letting me know!

Tested with version from 2017-05-31.