Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DROP THERAPY

Problem with doors in doom builder

I need help. In game, despite the fact that I made the doors the exact same way as I did the first door, they refuse to open from the back. I have resorted to using switches as a temporary fix. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with me using stairs, but here is a diagram:

This is the side where it doesn't open

|

\/

|_______________________|

If that isn't enough, here is a screenshot and the test map:

Screenshot 2017-09-12 06.25.54.png

map1.zip

As I can see, you didn't flip linedefs correctly. They must be flipped outside, not inside. Just look closely, I used your map plan here. Also check height, because doors must be near floor, not below floor.

map1 at 2017.09.12 16-36-33.688 [R2990].jpg

map1 at 2017.09.12 16-40-50.102 [R2990].jpg

Hi, It's the line action type:

- The left side of the door has: 111 *S1* Door Fast Open Wait Close
- The right side of the door has: 1 *DR* Door Open Wait Close

The S1/W1/D1 actions work only once. (Hence the 1)
Actione with SR/WR/DR are repeatable and work again and again.

Try finding a SR/DR labeled door action for it. (S = switch; W = walk over linetype; D = "door action", can be closed while it's opened)

BTW, for your first question: Note the "short lines" in the middle of wall lines. They define the main side of each line. Doors and other switches must have the little line towards the direction where the action is triggered.

In GZDoom Builders you can flip the line sides with F key.

100.jpg

The easiest I can say is:

1: Each linedef has a nipple, not the nipple you're thinking but a line on the line def..

For a door in which you want to trigger to open and close, its linedef must be facing outward.

eg: door_sr63.png.3fcf09e5dd40a8c57cfff2f031a0288c.png

Make the door work:

2: These linedefs for the door need to have the action/data type 63, for a common door it is SR. ~ Switch Repeatable.

Open/Wait/Close/Switch/Repeatable

They of course now need to activate!

The lines need to be tagged to the door sector.

So, the lines need to have a tag number that binds to the sector in which you want to activate.

In this case, you'll need to add a tag to both linedefs of the door.

And then the door sector will need to have the same tag number so it will activate.

eg: if the doors linedefs tags are set to 132, then the door sector will need to be set to 132 also.

Make the door work as it should:

3: After that, the ceiling will need to be the same height as the floor in the doors sector.

So for example if the ceiling is 128 and the floor is 0, then you'll want the doors bottom where it meets the floor to be 0. eg. ceiling 0, floor 0.

Make the door look right:

4: The next thing you'll most likely want to do is apply your door and door track textures, and of course, align them.

You'll notice that "in game" the door track texture moves with the door.. That of course doesn't look right, so you'll need to select the linedefs for the door track and check the box so that it is "lower unpegged".

That's basically it for a normal open wait close door that is switched by the player hitting the use key to open/close it.

Cheers and Good luck!

Does anyone know how to flip linedefs in Eureka builder? I am having this same issue with the incorrectly facing linedefs. The developer hasn't written official documentation for it yet (even though it is around 6 years old at this stage...) and there isn't anything particularly helpful in the help section either ironically...

With Eureka, you use the w key to flip linedefs when in linedef mode.

When I first started using Eureka, I spent a while randomly pressing keys and trying to figure out what did what, which wasn't the most efficient way to learn the program.

Andrew Apted put together a summary page for the default keys http://eureka-editor.sourceforge.net/?n=Docs.Keys

Thanks :) I will check it out later. When i was trying to figure it out yesterday I created a hilarious glitch in my map on accident lol, basically I was trying to make doors open when you pick up a weapon and I accidently set the platform the weapon is on as a door by giving it the same tag as the other doors so when you picked it up you would basically get instantly trapped in a little diamond shaped space with no way to escape :D When I make more serious maps in the future I might add something like that in an Easter egg area hehe

But back on the subject though, do you know how to make standalone linedefs (like the kind you would use for spawn triggers or teleport for example) noncollidable? I tried unchecking impassable but that didn't seem to do anything

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at with your question. I think that by noncollidable you mean that you would be able to walk through it. If I'm mistaken, let me know. As for standalone linedef, do you mean something like one of these (please excuse the very crude drawings):

---------

|          |

|          |

_______ A

|          |

|          |

---------

or

---------

|  ___   |

|    A    |

---------

|          |

|          |

---------

or

_______ A

|          |

|          |

---------

In the top, there are two sectors with linedef A in common between them. In the middle drawing, there are two sectors, but linedef A is a random two-sided linedef in the middle of the sector that doesn't intersect any of the walls. I think if you were to have A in the middle drawing reference the sector it was in, this discussion would work the same way. The bottom drawing shows a sector where linedef A is the edge of the sector and on the other side is the void outside the map.

Let's say linedef A is set to trigger the event you're planning. In either scenario above, you should be able to walk through linedef A by default. I think that a two-sided linedef in between two sectors can automatically be passed through, provided that is not set between two sectors with a height difference < 56. Now, if what you're asking about is neither of these, and it's a one-sided linedef, then you would be looking to pass through it into the void. I've never tried to make a single-sided linedef a walk-over trigger; someone with more knowledge of the source code could say whether that sort of thing is allowed or not. If it is, and that's what you were trying to do, unchecking impassable should be all you need to do.

Ultimately, I'd like to try to help. If I'm completely off base with what I've said above, let me know.

I just drew a linedef across the ground to use as the trigger so I guess it would be like the 2nd "picture". But anyway I stopped trying to use that since I don't need it right now anyway. But now I am stuck on trying to get transparent textures to work right :/ I'm trying to make a walkway between two buildings with windows on the sides you can look out at the ground below through. I found that the sky was too low and was clipping a little too much off the top of the roof of the buildings so I raised it up a little but that caused issues because when I tried to apply the "window" texture (well more of a rail really since im trying to use the default MIDBARS1 texture for it since I like the way it looks) it was raised a little bit off the ground which I obviously don't want. And I found that the issue is that the sky/ceiling is too high which is what is causing it to float, if I lower it the bars go into place properly BUT the roof of the buildings clip like I said. I guess I can swap out the sky in that sector for a roof instead which is probably what i will wind up doing since I don't want the place to look like it has paper thin ceilings lol

Oh btw here is what i have so far, there isn't really that much to it right now and there isn't really going to be that much since it is mainly just a testing different stuff out map so I can figure out wtf I am doing since I just started mapping for doom :D

test.zip

I was thinking about your sky clipping floating rails issue. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the problem, which I ran into the first time I tried to design a level with buildings that had different heights (e.g., if you're standing looking north toward two buildings and the one in front has a height of 128 and the one behind has a height of 192, you can't see the taller building behind the shorter building, because of how the sky is rendered in Doom). You may just have to move things down relative to each other by 8 or 16 units if you want to try to keep the sky instead of a roof. That would give you a ceiling that was somewhere in the neighborhood of 10" to 20" thick (at least according to the Doom Metrics by Scott Ampoker, 10 units vertically ~ 1').

As for the stand-alone line issue (that was no longer an issue, but could become one again, I suppose):

In Eureka (at least in version 1.21, I haven't checked version 1.11), there is no way to give any definition to a linedef that you draw across the middle of a room that is stand-alone, that is, its vertices don't actually terminate on other linedefs. In this case, you don't have a linedef, per se, because you, from the perspective of Eureka, have a zero-sided line that has neither a front nor a back. Therefore, unchecking impassable would have no effect because, I think, Doom doesn't consider this entity to be anything. You may be able to use a different program to give some definition to that line, but I don't think Eureka is it.

Thanks, I actually figured out how to fix it, I figured out you can give a height offset to midtexes which helped a lot :D But it looks like I completely fucked the map up anyway lol, I realized there are some sector and linedef errors which I ignored early on which are now manifesting themself in various annoying ways (like sectors not being created properly when attached to the main level body, or some lines being considered parts of the wrong sector, etc), and fixing them would apparently involve removing about half the map so I can't really be bothered to fix them lol. So I guess I will just start a new more serious map (this one was just dicking around trying to figure out how stuff works) and maybe incorporate some of the ideas I had for this one in It.

Do you know of any good texture wads that have good night skyboxes? I want to break the mold so to speak and want my first map to be a night level as opposed to those other lame daytime startan rectangle fests hehe. Also do you know of any resource editors for music sprites scripts MAPINFO etc that can work without having to install anything? The whole reason why I am using Eureka as opposed to doom builder+slade is because the only PCs I can use right now i cant get admin on which is a bit of an issue since doom builder and slade require installing things like direct x and .net framework which require it :(

On 9/19/2017 at 6:10 PM, therektafire said:

Thanks, I actually figured out how to fix it, I figured out you can give a height offset to midtexes which helped a lot :D But it looks like I completely fucked the map up anyway lol, I realized there are some sector and linedef errors which I ignored early on which are now manifesting themself in various annoying ways (like sectors not being created properly when attached to the main level body, or some lines being considered parts of the wrong sector, etc), and fixing them would apparently involve removing about half the map so I can't really be bothered to fix them lol. So I guess I will just start a new more serious map (this one was just dicking around trying to figure out how stuff works) and maybe incorporate some of the ideas I had for this one in It.

Do you know of any good texture wads that have good night skyboxes? I want to break the mold so to speak and want my first map to be a night level as opposed to those other lame daytime startan rectangle fests hehe. Also do you know of any resource editors for music sprites scripts MAPINFO etc that can work without having to install anything? The whole reason why I am using Eureka as opposed to doom builder+slade is because the only PCs I can use right now i cant get admin on which is a bit of an issue since doom builder and slade require installing things like direct x and .net framework which require it :(

You could always do a nighttime rectangle fest or a daytime non-rectangular rooms fest.

In all seriousness, I don't know a lot about the different resources. I tend to stick to the IWAD resources. One of these may help with a night skybox.

Good luck with your map. It's all learning and growing and figuring out how to do things (even if that means looking at someone else's map and trying to figure out how they did it). When I got back into mapping, I had a number of ideas that either didn't pan out or didn't turn out like I thought they would initially.

At first I was thinking about using the iwad resources but I decided to use freedoom and graphtallica instead (and whatever good skybox resource I can find) :) I wish there was a version of freedoom with only the textures though, it is causing my wad to be a little bloated and I'm not sure if I will even be using any of its enemy replacements and I definitely am not going to use any maps since I'm obviously making my own.

Also about the rectangles, I am trying to make it as non rectangular as possible :D Except In places where being rectangular would make sense of course

8 hours ago, therektafire said:

I wish there was a version of freedoom with only the textures though,

Just delete everything except the textures from it.