Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Replacing Doom's music with Halo's music.

I'm still hoping that nobody has opinions on this one.

I've been playing a lot, I mean A LOT of Halo recently, so, I had been thinking of Halo + Doom crossovers just like any other Doom fan who plays Halo and vice versa.

Then came the idea of the change of the soundtrack. Think about Doom's action packed soundtrack replaced with Halo's ambient music. 

If that was the case, I would be thinking Doom as Quake on steroids.

1 hour ago, TFK said:

If that was the case, I would be thinking Doom as Quake on steroids.

You're not really comparing Quake's soundtrack to Halo's, are you?

Just now, KVELLER said:

You're not really comparing Quake's soundtrack to Halo's, are you?

I was saying that if Halo's music was put on Doom, playing Doom would be like playing Quake.

16 minutes ago, TFK said:

I was saying that if Halo's music was put on Doom, playing Doom would be like playing Quake.

I guess it would be, in a way.

We do know that having an ambient soundtrack for Doom isn't a bad idea (as seen in Doom 64 and the PSX version) but I don't know if Halo's soundtrack would fit. It would be an interesting experiment though.

I like the menu/main theme and the Silent Cartographer battle theme/anthem from Halo 1 (love that shit). Everything else is too forgettable.

I found a midi version of that Halo battle theme on vgmusic and made a WAD with it, and I liked the in-game result. It fit nicely (although could use some more editing, to work seamlessly with the map).

The main/menu theme is just some chanting and drums in general. Nothing big, but the rhythm, the beat, would fit nicely for several more instruments.

Doom's music isn't that great either. In the end, I would only select a few of Doom's music as truly good. Doom 2016's BFG Division is all I really need.

An ambient track can be good, but most of the time, it's the same crap (like some deep, soft, sounds that play at different intervals, in general). Add some spice on these tracks, and I'd consider them more better as in-game music and ambience (I always loved the computer sounds (I guess that's what they are) in Doom 64's The Madness on map01). E1M3 is effectively an ambient track, if you think about it: it's not distracting and sounds natural (shoot me if I'm wrong).

Moving on, Doom with Halo music may or may not be dull. Only one way to find out: turn off Doom's music, get a playlist of Halo music together and play it in the background, load up Doom.

TL;DR sure why not

I recommend you replace it with Han Solo music.

Just now, Phade102 said:

wait wait wait...

Quake had music?

I never ever heard any music with it.

Yea it does, you probably had one of those stupid burn copies that strip off all cinematics, voice lines and music from games -probably ruining some of its charm0 to fit on a single CD (Or to minimize download size).

1 hour ago, Phade102 said:

wait wait wait...

Quake had music?

I never ever heard any music with it.

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Yea it does, you probably had one of those stupid burn copies that strip off all cinematics, voice lines and music from games -probably ruining some of its charm0 to fit on a single CD (Or to minimize download size).

I thought that too at first, but I have it on steam now and still didnt hear it. but honestly, I dont play quake for the music so maybe I just ignore it.

26 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

I thought that too at first, but I have it on steam now and still didnt hear it. but honestly, I dont play quake for the music so maybe I just ignore it.

The Steam version doesn't include the soundtrack. Copyright issues I think.