Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Doomy thoughts

How Doomguy has a shotgun from this era in a time that's supposed to be in the future? (I know that the game was made in '93 but still....)

4 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

How Doomguy has a shotgun from this era in a time that's supposed to be in the future? (I know that the game was made in '93 but still....)

Not even that, but just the fact that marines don't use shotguns!! Sometimes police do, but never military, AFAIK. They're just not as versatile as rifles.

1 minute ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Not even that, but just the fact that marines don't use shotguns!! Sometimes police do, but never military, AFAIK. They're just not as versatile as rifles.

I know right? Seems out of place....but, it's Doom and anything works for our friend

20 minutes ago, Master O said:

Now imagine the Icon of Sin in H-Doom

Heh...endless possibilities XD

2 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

I know right? Seems out of place....but, it's Doom and anything works for our friend

Mechanically, it fits the game very well. The slow fire places less emphasis on aiming, and more on movement/dodging, since less of your time is spent shooting (and less of the monster's time is spent stunned). Also, the fact that it works better at close range encourages the players to stay near the action and play aggressively. I think it's quite an ingenious inclusion in the game, even if it is unrealistic.

I appreciate that ya'll are making use of my obnoxious "thinky think" baby talk. 

Doomy thought:

There are surely more combinations of possible Doom maps in vanilla than there are particles in the known universe, if you think about how many of these variations could be as subtle as one unit's difference in the placement of a single linedef.

5 hours ago, Master O said:

Now imagine the Icon of Sin in H-Doom.  Whoever created H-Doom could have a field day with that level...

I can't imagine it would be anything much different from the final map of Kama Sutra.

EDIT: lol I just imagined someone reading this post who hasn't played Kama Sutra going, "What does he mean by that?" and then looking it up on youtube.

4 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Just 'cos it's the future doesn't mean it's THAT sleek and advanced. Take a look at the movie Outland: they use shotguns on a mining colony on IO, and DOS computers. It was advanced back when the movie came out, and now it's a cool vision of a clunky future.

Edited by Impie

Even modern films show people using tablets, as if that's going to be the paradigm for more than a decade from now. It's very difficult to be prophetic about technology.

That feeling of nervousness and excitement before you begin a hard wad (or any hard video-game). Can it be beaten in this medium?

About to start slayer.wad

1 hour ago, Cipher said:

That feeling of nervousness and excitement before you begin a hard wad (or any hard video-game). Can it be beaten in this medium?

About to start slayer.wad

What's slayer.wad? Can you link to it? Anyway, I feel you on that. id games have that effect. I was playing Quake last night because I wanted to record a high quality sample of the quad damage powerup for remixing in a song, but I had to play a couple of E2 maps before getting to one. I was in a hurry because I just wanted to capture the sound, but I was having a blast playing, and had forgotten how fun Quake is.

10 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

What's slayer.wad? Can you link to it? Anyway, I feel you on that. id games have that effect. I was playing Quake last night because I wanted to record a high quality sample of the quad damage powerup for remixing in a song, but I had to play a couple of E2 maps before getting to one. I was in a hurry because I just wanted to capture the sound, but I was having a blast playing, and had forgotten how fun Quake is.

https://onemandoom.blogspot.jp/search?q=slayer

Had to lower the difficulty for this one. Will try to come back for UV on round two.

One thing...

If you pick up the blue armor, why doesn't change the color of the player sprite...you know, from green to blue (and yes, I know that there's no sprites for that)?

:thinking:

About the shotgun thing; it's a badass weapon. :D But that topic reminded me of some futuristic movies (e.g. Elysium) which use Assembler as a programming language for seemingly complex programs, but this is rather offtopic. :D

40 minutes ago, rodster said:

About the shotgun thing; it's a badass weapon. :D But that topic reminded me of some futuristic movies (e.g. Elysium) which use Assembler as a programming language for seemingly complex programs, but this is rather offtopic. :D

You mean Assembly. Assembler is the compiler that turns Assembly directly into machine bytecode, CPU instructions.

On 9/13/2017 at 2:49 PM, Piper Maru said:

like how do Cacodemons open doors

This thought has tormented me for ages and I want it to end.

My only guess is the door has heat sensors or something so merely touching it will activate it...

On 13. 9. 2017 at 11:57 PM, YukiRaven said:

"Where are all the bathrooms on Phobos and Deimos?"

Maybe they using sewers for bathroom and toilet purposes :-D :-D

"if cacodemon flying thanks to farts, so what the hell they eating?"

16 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

USMC has used and still uses shotguns for the appropriate tactical situation. They are good weapons for jungle fighting and of course are useful in urban combat as well. They have three models in use right now. And with weapons more complex and high tech isn't necessarily better, especially when you are talking about personal weaponry. Pump shotguns are some of the most tactically flexible, dependable and effective firearms around and that alone ensures their usefulness.

It's absolutely the kind of weapon I'd want to rely on if I was trapped on Mars and had to battle my way through hordes of demons from Hell. I guess that's my current doomy thoughts.

@pnptcn Interesting, thanks for the info!

At very close range, shotguns are extremely deadly -- significantly more dangerous than rifles. So it makes sense for them to be used in urban or jungle settings, where you have to be practically within "reach out and touch" range in order to do combat.

Their disadvantages, though:

• They don't hold much ammo -- tube-fed shotguns rarely hold more than 7 or 8 rounds. Even ridiculously huge shotguns with double tubes hold only 15. Compare this with assault rifles that can comfortably hold 20 or 30.
  • Their ammo is big and bulky. Carrying 300 spare rounds is not easy.
  • You can't reload by changing a clip -- each shell has to be fed in one by one.
  • Buckshot is almost useless past 50 meters. Even slugs are pretty useless past 100 meters.

If the shape of the fight changes suddenly, a soldier armed only with a shotgun could find himself in trouble. If I was forced to battle demons on Mars, I'd like to have both, but I'd definitely take a rifle over a shotgun.

I do agree that more complex is not always better. Pump shotguns are far less likely to experience breakdowns, jams or other failures than semi-automatics are.

4 minutes ago, I'm a Cop, You Idiot said:

The ROTT soundtrack goes very well with fast paced Doom WADS. Anyone know good ones that use this music? I randomly stumble past them sometimes. 

Hell Revealed

I have a ton of soundtracks (Unreal-related as S3M/XM/IT, others as MID)... including Rise of the Triad :)

sQOYInz.png

3 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:
  • You can't reload by changing a clip -- each shell has to be fed in one by one.

Introducing clip-based shotguns!

7bd20cbe4785ca639625d91606a983ef--my-sty

8 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Hell Revealed

I have a ton of soundtracks (Unreal-related as S3M/XM/IT, others as MID)... including Rise of the Triad :)

sQOYInz.png

Its one of my favorite OSTs for any game, when I looked it up I found the composer is the same from Duke3D. But those are really his only games, kinda sad. 

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

@Gustavo6046 I know they're out there, but the ones listed in @pnptcn's link are all tube-fed.

Tube feeds have their own advantages. You can mix your rounds on the fly for example. Let's say you are approaching a door and you need to breech. You load your breeching rounds, then behind those you load couple rounds of buckshot and put a slug in last just because you might want that who knows. That's part of the tactical flexibility I mentioned in my other post. Rifles are great for sure, and are super effective when combined with squad tactics but Doomguy is pretty much in a solo CQB situation. I know what I'd want. I think Doomguy's pump shotty is a totally valid choice. :D

Now my Doomy thoughts are wondering about a shotgun mod for Doom that gives access to different ammo types and custom load orders. Bird shot for groups of lost souls, standard buck for general purposes, slugs for some extra-sit-the-fuck-down. You could even have some exotic stuff like flechette rounds, grenade rounds, there's all kinds of potential there. Mmm Doomy...

14 hours ago, rodster said:

About the shotgun thing; it's a badass weapon. :D

That's the other thing: we still use a lot of certain items because they're still useful, we just tweak them and modernize them sometimes. And sometimes we keep the old school versions available because they're still in demand. So just because we're colonizing other planets doesn't mean that we would stop thinking an old school pump-action is cool or even useful. Even in this day and age of robots and talking GPS's and tablets, I can stil get a breech-loading shottie or a revolver. EDIT: The UAC probably outfits their mars security with shotguns for budgetary reasons too. A pump shotgun is a helluva lot cheaper than a state-of-the-art adaptive combat rifle or whatever, and still effective in close quarters (which the interior of any space station would be, where the main opposition is disgruntled civilians anyway, not a trained armada).

Edited by Impie