Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UglyStru

Your favorite colors in WADs?

I'm surprised red is so popular. Red hurts my eyes... a lot... Oversaturated reds + Cacodemons + Red Sky Texture + Blood Rivers = I'm fucking blind. 

8 minutes ago, 38_ViTa_38 said:

Isn't blue actually more popular currently?

Blue is always the all time most popular color, so I guess in Doom, blue should be also popular...

Generally, it's said that over 30% of the population will choose blue as their favorite color.

Edited by GarrettChan

2 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Blue is always the all time most popular color, so I guess in Doom, blue should be also popular...

Oh, good! I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if my favorite color was the most popular favorite color.

I'm a fan of blue in maps because its a little underrepresented when you look at all of the stock textures. Gives some nice contrast against all the browns and greens.

I'm also a fan of the Silver textures for this reason.

I guess it really doesn't matter much to me what the actual colors are as long as there's some nice contrast.

11 minutes ago, Plusw said:

I'm a fan of blue in maps because its a little underrepresented when you look at all of the stock textures. Gives some nice contrast against all the browns and greens.

I'm also a fan of the Silver textures for this reason.

I guess it really doesn't matter much to me what the actual colors are as long as there's some nice contrast.

That's why I compohso so much at times.

combinations of appealing colors like red+green+blue instead of ugly monotone themes or themes with browns and stuff in them, unless those colors are used really heckin well

I really like the DOOM 64 ambiance, if you put a level similar to the ambiance of DOOM 64, I will definitely check it out. Or if its like green themed or using different shades of green. 

1 hour ago, DoctorFrickinRetro said:

I really like the DOOM 64 ambiance, if you put a level similar to the ambiance of DOOM 64, I will definitely check it out. Or if its like green themed or using different shades of green. 

There is BYHAE, though it requires an outdated version of BD to run properly. Uses lots of colored ambience. 

2 hours ago, Plusw said:

Blue is very underrepresented in the default Doom palette even more than the textures.  I think it's why we are drawn to it so much because it was so rare in the original WADs. 

16 hours ago, stru said:

I'm surprised red is so popular. Red hurts my eyes... a lot... Oversaturated reds + Cacodemons + Red Sky Texture + Blood Rivers = I'm fucking blind. 

Just because people said they liked the color doesn't mean they'd like a map with this color covering absolutely everything. For example, I said blue, but dmg's screenshot below my post doesn't look good to me, nor do many of antares031's blue maps. I think blue is best when it complements a greater amount of a less saturated color (like white), not when it's the dominant color on its own.

10 hours ago, Bauul said:

Blue is very underrepresented in the default Doom palette even more than the textures.  I think it's why we are drawn to it so much because it was so rare in the original WADs. 

Certainly not the case for me, vivid blue is awesome on its own. Also, Doom palette's blue has more dark shades than any other color in the palette, and its light shades are hard-enough to distinguish from each other, so that a greater amount of them would be redundant. Also, by your logic, we'd be drawn even more to purple. :)

13 hours ago, bonnie said:

combinations of appealing colors like red+green+blue instead of ugly monotone themes or themes with browns and stuff in them, unless those colors are used really heckin well

This. I don't prefer particular colors other than pink, but rather their usage is what interests me.

I always like to see purples and pinks, mostly because they are so rare in the original palette (and I think they can look awesome when done right).

I'm also partial to the sickly desaturated greens that show up in the cement and marble textures.  That color coupled with how it fades in the original game always reminds me of playing through the game for the first time.

On 9/14/2017 at 1:02 PM, Eris Falling said:

White is all the colours, and I'm an elf thank you very much! :P

Also cyan. And rainbows.

From an optics sense, in light, white is the presence of all colors, while in pigment, white is the absence of all colors.

But no need to split hairs.

Rainbows would definitely be a different look in a Doom WAD. Not necessarily bad, just different.

4 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

my favorite color is aaliens.wad

I couldnt agree more. I love that color palette that was used, especially in the earlier levels. I could really go for another WAD with that theme. 

15 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

my favorite color is aaliens.wad

aaliens22i.png

I couldn't agree more.

On 9/14/2017 at 0:19 PM, stru said:

Which colors automatically make a WAD 10x more appealing to you? I think any sort of deep purples do it for me.

THIS. 100%.

On 19. 10. 2017 at 8:05 AM, nxGangGirl said:

Eh, it kinda gets obnoxious after a while.

yep thats kinda true, for me not exactly obnoxious but boring after while when you see pretty much the same color scheme all the time

Browns and grays.

People say that games look boring with those colors but I enjoy that more than BLINDING COLORFUL THINGS ALL OVER THE SCREEN!!! (so like most of the retro 3D platformers ;) ) so yes I like muted colors.