Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UglyStru

Your favorite colors in WADs?

13 hours ago, SOSU said:

Browns and grays.

People say that games look boring with those colors but I enjoy that more than BLINDING COLORFUL THINGS ALL OVER THE SCREEN!!! (so like most of the retro 3D platformers ;) ) so yes I like muted colors.

I like browns and greys and blacks when there are also a few bright highlights for contrast. For highlight colors I mostly like yellow, green, and blue.

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Gimmie them deeeeep blue skies to contrast against the environment, looks so damn good and falls right in the vanilla pallet

Where is the third one from?

I recently realized how I like smooth brown/greys, but maybe I am not thinking of colors rather than textures. When I enter a room and is simple flatter textures like the BROWN or the grey cement textures, all put together, there is something solid about it. Even if they might be considered the most dull. There is something about those smooth monochromatic rooms.

As for color not sure, I still like those darker colors with something contrasted in the sky or other bright color details, preferably blue/red/orange/purple.

50 minutes ago, RonLivingston said:

Even though purple is one of my favorite colors. i have decided to add something pretty uniqueCoop-20180204-231341.png.e9f4a0a3d9812009a1fc769a700d043b.png

That kind of falls into dark pink category for me. 

Besides, I found blue and black combination awesome. And still I like my purple/teal stuff and ancient aliens palette. 

15 hours ago, RonLivingston said:

Even though purple is one of my favorite colors. i have decided to add something pretty uniqueCoop-20180204-231341.png.e9f4a0a3d9812009a1fc769a700d043b.png

I don't think there's enough purple in your map.

Currently I like yellow and orange.

But I have still ideas. I already added 00ff00 green tile to pallete and next map will be so green, that plain looking at screenshots will make you feel a sour taste.

post-Harkonnen, I'm editing my answer to be the combination of orange and black, as well as the nice cool purples, blues and greens. I'm going to also add the stipulation for those cool colors that they should not be too overdone. They're fantastic as accents (I'm even using pink one of my maps) but I would definitely not make an entire sector that color.

9 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

post-Harkonnen, I'm editing my answer to be the combination of orange and black, as well as the nice cool purples, blues and greens. I'm going to also add the stipulation for those cool colors that they should not be too overdone. They're fantastic as accents (I'm even using pink one of my maps) but I would definitely not make an entire sector that color.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen wants a word with you...

Blue and blood red for me, similar to what Doomkid and 42PercentHealth posted.

The last shades before black in any color range but red. No GL/soft pixels for me though, ruins that dark scrambling a bit.

Lately I've taken quite a liking at using blue and green together to have some sort of a 'aquatic feel' to it.

Before that it was mostly blue.

Yellow. Blue. Red.

Gotta love it when you pick up them key cards.

[But staying on topic, of the original colors in DooM, I really like the color contrasts between green stone and brown metal/wood.]

As long as it is well done like on the incredible Dance on the Water's map 04: Among the Seas, I'm totally for yellow/blue/white color combination.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:59 AM, Jimmy said:

Where's the white? I need me some white Doom levels - snowy caves, heaven, cloud bases, anything.

(in before the goblins crawl out saying "white is not a color")

A whole -complevel 9 or MBF21 mapset focusing on the heaven theme from OTEX would be cool.

E: holy shit somebody bumped a four year old thread and I didn't even realize it

I’ll never get tired of that electric blue shag carpet looking floor texture, it goes great with the pinkies and cacos. Bonus points in lower resolution too.

It’s not a color but I’m also a huge sucker for any kind of DOS game style starry night skies. The opening of Monkey Island 1 is a prime example of that stuff.