Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rifle Infantry

On making the Assault Rifle work well

The Assault Rifle excels at long-range accuracy, and is a good overall weapon for low to mid-tier foes. Mods that use the weapon tend to up the fire rate of the chaingun to compensate (as Brutal Doom does).

Just now, Dravencour said:

The Assault Rifle excels at long-range accuracy, and is a good overall weapon for low to mid-tier foes. Mods that use the weapon tend to up the fire rate of the chaingun to compensate (as Brutal Doom does).

I've experimented with using a rifle that's around 2x as accurate as the chaingun or pistol, fires at 210 RPM (think the Smooth Doom gun), and which deals 10-30 damage (i.e. 2x the pistol/chaingun damage). All of that levels out to roughly equal DPS to the Shotgun. So far it's worked well (especially when you pair it with a modified Monster Resource Wad rapid fire trooper).

What other assault rifle "types" are out there and work? I'm curious- has anyone managed to make a burst-fire rifle that doesn't feel like shit in the vanilla weapon set, or another automatic weapon that doesn't require one to touch the Chaingun?