Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Repugnus

(UPDATED) 300 Minutes of /vr/ - Speedmap Megawad

Is this compatible with Brutal Doom mods such as Smooth Doom?

Either way, I may give this a look. :)

1 minute ago, Jayextee said:

Is this compatible with Brutal Doom

God damnit I knew I forgot to test something!

Edit: yeah, it's pretty much fully vanilla

Just now, Jayextee said:

Is this compatible with Brutal Doom mods such as Smooth Doom?

Either way, I may give this a look. :)

Yup, it should work with any mod you want to use.

Well. A better thing to ask is if there's monster-changing sprites or DeHackEd/DECORATE/etc work going on. I'll play it as intended, but I've been on a serious Smooth Doom kick lately, so... ;)

Neat. I'll mirror on thevidya.site

Edit:

mirror

[REDACTED]

Edited by beanz

2 hours ago, Repugnus said:

Here it finally is! The long awaited "sequel" to 200 minutes of /vr/;

300 Minutes of /vr/

1504830999103.png.187402bf84f9e6ce0a8cccec06c272bf.png

This is a 33 map vanilla megawad consisting of maps made by various users of 4chan's own Retro Gaming board, /vr/.

Each map was made in about 300 minutes over the course of a month.

We had a good number of contributors, some new to Doom mapping, some veterans (all credits in the .txt file).

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Big thanks to everyone who submitted!

Screenshots:

Hide contents

doom05.png.dc4f980ae15279f334355755d1618e33.png

doom06.png.b5a3bee035d64f1abb38a9bf15c4bf81.png

doom07.png.1f29e8b519077ac99b069b3d1b526bc1.png

doom10.png.f71c850c3dda53f9e13eacdd7bd447b7.png

doom11.png.4092da0b37444234c90a46455a6a4e1f.png

Downloads:

-Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4yh5o5tj8u4o03/300minvr.zip?dl=1

-Mirror: http://thevidya.site/pub/blazkowicz/doom2/1505597220_300minvr.wad/

-/idgames: coming soon

4chan?  Where are the memes and joke maps?  I R DISAPPOINTED!

Memes are an outdated meme.  4chan is only for collaboration and the betterment of mankind now.

6 minutes ago, Revae said:

Memes are an outdated meme.  4chan is only for collaboration and the betterment of mankind now.

Lies!  I want this megawad to have lots of Rick Rolling and Trololololo! ;)

Just now, Master O said:

Lies!  I want this megawad to have lots of Rick Rolling and Trololololo! ;)

/vr/ is a peaceful place where old people go to escape life and relive their childhoods. You must be confusing it with someplace else.

Just now, RjY said:

/vr/ is a peaceful place where old people go to escape life and relive their childhoods. You must be confusing it with someplace else.

I must be confusing /vr/ with the rest of 4chan, like /b/ . 

Played the first 8 maps so far. Mediocre to solid stuff so far. MAP07 was an obvious standout. Looking forward to playing more when I get off work tonight!

Played through the first 20 levels in two player coop. Short comments:

01 - just a classic style Map01, standard but pleasant.
02 - hard to say anything. Dark, the water lowering is somewhat interesting.
03 - fucking kickass music, could play the whole wad with it alone. Basic design but the good use of blues/greens makes it pleasant.
04 - very basic rectangular rooms. Had some fun with the traps.
05 - kinda atmospheric with the darkness and a bit unusual setups. Map was lucky to end up in this slot as the default midi fits well.
06 - I guess the nice looking starting area took all the time? The rest is notably worse. Didn't appreciate the inescapable exit pit.
07 - wow, a quality map! Energetic.
08 - lots of furniture, standard traps. A little lifeless.
09 - also energetic, though not as neatly decorated as 07. Good action with the cyber and hordes, slight ammo deprivation works well.
10 - more realistic rooms. Kind of feels like the level has some kind of plot, which is cool.
11 - a Breezeep map that looks like every Breezeep map (which look like every skillsaw map), so hard to get excited. But it's decent.
12 - strange and ugly in a good way.
13 - top notch architecture in the key areas, definitely feels like ruins. Strong mood.
14 - very cute, beautiful blues/greens and a great heroic midi.
15 - what I said about 11 mostly applies but this feels more experimental with the weirdass lift and overall darkness. Slick midi.
16 - a bit fun but basically a weaker version of 13.
17 - an attempt at something creepy and puzzling. It sorta works in some places. One trap is surprisingly hard compared to the rest.
18 - I approve the music choice and the action is juicy enough. Funny end obviously.
19 - cool, almost like a "Revolution!" level. Might be a ripoff of Valiant Map11 but probably just a coincidence. Thumbs up.
20 - well, I've seen this in CC3 already. Feels like a non-level turned into a level by teleport abuse. Lol secrets, lovely trees.

The /idgames version has a couple of problems. It seems to have an old version of some of the maps. Crash Site is full of texture bugs I know I posted fixes for. It is also missing the finale text changes in the dehacked lump. @TerminusEst13 must have streamed my unofficial build, because his stream had them.

This is kind of annoying. I apologise for not noticing sooner. I didn't bother to check the final build, I just assumed it was the same as mine. At least reuploads are permitted. BTSX_E1 had about fifteen of them. Hopefully at the same time we can get the directory misfiling @Rowsol mentioned fixed.

Well, it appears I did good by downloading from the link here then.  Thanks for the heads up.

I just checked the file and there's 2 dehacked files in mine, one with the text screens and the other with just the map names.

14 minutes ago, Rowsol said:

Well, it appears I did good by downloading from the link here then.  Thanks for the heads up.

No, the dropbox, mirror, and idgames versions are all identical. This crept in earlier unfortunately. I didn't notice because after @Repugnus merged my suggested map order into his build, I didn't bother to recheck all the maps I'd already tested and posted fixes for, I just assumed they were all fine.

% md5sum 300minvr*.wad | sort
dfe8062f06ecc2684474441f273e44eb  300minvr-dropbox.wad
dfe8062f06ecc2684474441f273e44eb  300minvr-idgames.wad
dfe8062f06ecc2684474441f273e44eb  300minvr-thevidya.wad

14 minutes ago, Rowsol said:

I just checked the file and there's 2 dehacked files in mine, one with the text screens and the other with just the map names.

Indeed, I had just discovered the same.

1 hour ago, TerminusEst13 said:

Ah, piss. I should've double-checked as well, but I was slightly excited. Oops. Sorry about that.

Don't apologise it's not your fault or anyone's really except maybe mine for thinking I was done with testing, though we could always have used more people posting test reports of course.

53 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Please don't tell me that my cool demo is going to desync.

Heh no I don't anticipate map01 will change. I haven't watched your demo yet but I assume it involves at least a 192-unit jump over the river, the possibility of which occurred to me during testing. May be wise to avoid further recording for a day or two though. Certainly avoid map10, which I edited for gameplay fixes, but looks like @Repugnus adjusted for drawseg reduction around the start area. Merging the two will need some care.

This is a very inconsistent set, which is to be expected, I guess. It seems that a lot of mappers here are newcomers, which is cool.

I was taking screenshots of underpolishments at some point, but then ran into a map that was basically too rough to even think about fixing, so I stopped. However, there are also some major oversights, like an important lift in MAP15 only being activated when you drop into the area from one entrance. If you drop there for the first time another way, you'll be stuck.

There's another place where you open a door in an otherwise inescapable maze, and then it closes behind you. If you drop into the same maze again later, you'll be stuck, because the switch is S1. I don't remember the slot, but I remember that the map has a lot of hidden mandatory switches, and the switch in question is trapped with a crusher.

Some cool MIDIs here, but I almost missed this fact, because D_RUNNIN made me exit immediately and add a music pack that I didn't remove until well into the wad.