Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Repugnus

(UPDATED) 300 Minutes of /vr/ - Speedmap Megawad

@Da Werecat Thanks, that's helpful. The second map is Toomb (map17). I've fixed both that non-repeating switch, and map15's lift.

I've seen a few other things on people's streams and so forth so I guess there will be more fixes forthcoming. I will endeavour to not break any demos of course, but it may be wise to hold off spending too much time recording for now, if you were planning on it.

If anyone else finds any problems, please post them. I know there are millions of texture misalignments, far too many to bother to fix, but any outright missing textures or unpegged doortracks or, worse, places you can get stuck, let me know please.

Also yeah if anyone wants to post a midi to replace D_RUNNIN please do, I can't pick one because I never play with the music on.

Not sure if worth fixing but there's this transparency effect at the start of map02. The only affected source port seems to be PrBoom+ (and GLBoom+) if you use OpenGL rendering.

oW8lG2HJ_o.png

I'm really impressed with the descending water gimmick in MAP02, I gotta say. Had to pop open the map to see how that was pulled off, and even armed with the knowledge that it involved the Donut line specials, I'm still kinda clueless.

Well, in the map "Choose Your Path", you'll get stuck if and only if you decide to go back when the crusher is lowering...maybe adding an extra sector for a teleporter before the crusher and reappearing in that sector before going one of the two ways could work...

Screenshot_Doom_20170918_190744.png.a20b1296423ca4145e314757735f43de.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170918_190750.png.6d9d95ebd2d7cd1f11f6f120f2dbbe45.png

2 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Well, in the map "Choose Your Path", you'll get stuck if and only if you decide to go back when the crusher is lowering...maybe adding an extra sector for a teleporter before the crusher and reappearing in that sector before going one of the two ways could work...

Screenshot_Doom_20170918_190744.png.a20b1296423ca4145e314757735f43de.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170918_190750.png.6d9d95ebd2d7cd1f11f6f120f2dbbe45.png

Just found this problem. This prevents you from getting UV Max.

For me any map with fatal problems preventing you from getting UV Max is -10/10 because I think this map is unfinished.

8 hours ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

Not sure if worth fixing but there's this transparency effect at the start of map02. The only affected source port seems to be PrBoom+ (and GLBoom+) if you use OpenGL rendering.

It seems these windows use a simple method for creating a bullet-proof glass effect. Inside the window is an inner sector whose floor height is raised to one less than the ceiling height, with lower textures left unset. It's not flawless (you can still shoot through the tiny gaps around the inner sector) but preferable to nodebuilder-specific hacks that use broken/unclosed sectors. I am not sure why prb+ -vidmode gl doesn't support it correctly.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix it in a way I'm happy with. I don't know what method to do bulletproof glass the GL ports expect you to use in vanilla without Boom height transfers. It seems I can make the inner sector self-referencing, which makes glb+ happy, but leaves mismatched/unclosed sectors that both make Eureka's map checker scream at me, and worse, the bullet puffs don't appear, losing the effect which I believe is the author's intention.

8 hours ago, Memfis said:

Here is something energetic for Map01: Speed Trial by Cyber-Rainforce

Thanks, I will put this in.

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Thanks, I ended up putting in two semi-hidden teleporters, so if the ceiling lowers and you instinctively back out from under it, you can still progress to your choice of exit.

22 minutes ago, lirui1001 said:

Just found this problem. This prevents you from getting UV Max.

For me any map with fatal problems preventing you from getting UV Max is -10/10

Sadly picking one exit or the other appears to be the design of the map. I don't think it's appropriate to change this. As a player I agree with your sentiment, but as a map fixer, it's more important to preserve the author's intention.

26 minutes ago, RjY said:

Sadly picking one exit or the other appears to be the design of the map. I don't think it's appropriate to change this. As a player I agree with your sentiment, but as a map fixer, it's more important to preserve the author's intention.

Maybe you can modify this map so that once you "choose one path" all enemies on the other side will be crushed or telefragged.

There may not be a vanilla friendly way to do that, since doom doesn't like too many moving surfaces at one time.

Pretty cool megawad, played a little last night...

The level based upon kemono friends (MAP20) was pretty hilarious[\spoiler]

mostly fdas.  view at your own discretion. (edit: complevel 9 prboom-plus)

fun stuff; my wrist hurts badly tho from cramming a whole megawad in a shortish period of time.

top 3 maps:

Map09

Map15

Map19.

Map28 is also good because the automap is sexy.

(also edit:) Map17 was good but i died to the same spot twice so i said fuck it.

How is the update going? I was feeling inspired and wanted to record some speedruns, but then this happened... Hurry up! :)

@lirui1001 You were right, crushers worked out as a solution. Fixed. Thanks to you and @leodoom85

---

@Revae You are most likely thinking of the 30 plat (i.e. lifts, well, mostly) limit, I can't remember if that applies to crushing ceilings but either way I didn't need to add more than half a dozen or so crusher actions to different sectors in each of the exit areas to get all the monsters in them.

---

@NoisyVelvet Thank you for the demo set :)

---

37 minutes ago, Memfis said:

How is the update going? I was feeling inspired and wanted to record some speedruns, but then this happened... Hurry up! :)

Current changelog

Thank you for your patience. My aim is to get the thing done and a final release in /idgames by the end of September. I set a deadline because every time I see another playthrough I spot more things that could be improved. I'll just keep poking at it basically forever because there's always something that could be better, but eventually you hit the point of diminishing returns.

I've been through @TerminusEst13's stream and the first half of @Suitepee's stream, now I have the second half to watch (I saw the last quarter just now as it happened, missed the start and my own map). I also have two sets of FDAs, @NoisyVelvet's and one from an anon on /vr/ (well I'm pretty sure who it is but it'd be rude to say I guess). These have all been useful feedback along with posts here and on /vr/ itself.

---

@Suitepee Thank you for an entertaining stream, I caught the last half of part 2 just now. As you noticed a couple of participants joined your channel, and there were a bunch of others lurking from the /vr/ thread itself. We all had a lot of fun I think. I especially want to thank you as your stream showed up plenty of places where improvements and fixes could be made.

---

@EffinghamHuffnagel Thank you, that is already fixed. As it happens I knew about it from @Rowsol's youtube earlier in the thread. That prompted me to search the whole wad for similar and I found three more single-use lifts on map03, such as it goes.

@Suitepee Thanks for the streams man! Sorry I couldn't make it to either of them, I was busy when you started.

300minvr-draft20170929: Another test build / release candidate. The only change from yesterday's upload is the inclusion of an updated map26 from its author. Please report any bugs or omissions.

mirror 1 mirror 2

Two things which may or may not be ZDoom-related. I noticed the last letter of map names are being cut off when you look at the automap. I didn't go back and check all of them, so I'm not sure if it's all map names or only new map names which are longer than the original hard-coded Doom2 map names. Adding a space to the end of each map name in Dehacked seems to fix it.

MAP19, linedef tag 8, has SW1PANEL for normal and lower textures. When multiple switch textures are used on one switch, Doom doesn't know which one to animate, so it doesn't animate either. The switch works; it just looks like it doesn't. Removing the lower texture should fix it.

2 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

When multiple switch textures are used on one switch, Doom doesn't know which one to animate, so it doesn't animate either.

I think that's not true. It should animate the bottom one.

@EffinghamHuffnagel

I cannot reproduce the problem with the automap names in ZDoom (well, GZDoom 3.1.0). Could you clarify / give more information?

The switch problem is interesting and I'm glad you mentioned it because there were two other cases of repeated switch textures on the same sidedef causing a texture change to fail. But it's also interesting because of inexplicable port differences. Namely, in vanilla (chocolate-doom, pr+ is the same) the logic proceeds as follows:

• if the top texture is a switch, change the top texture;
  • else if the middle texture is a switch, change the middle texture;
  • else if the bottom texture is a switch, change the bottom texture.

It turns out ZDoom (GZDoom) has reversed the latter two, so that the bottom texture takes priority over the middle texture. I have no idea why. The change seems to predate the git history.

________

So yeah. I was meant to release this last night after letting it sit for a couple of days, but at the last minute I had a brainwave to fix @Keyboard_Doomer's bug regarding the windows on map02 in glboom+. In the middle of that, I saw @EffinghamHuffnagel's post. I've fixed the switch problem, but I have no idea about the map names being cut off. So if anyone else can reproduce it, let me know. I don't know of any other things blocking a final version, so speak up now please! Here is another release candidate:  1, 2

Downloaded the newest version. When I said ZDoom, I meant just ZDoom.

Here's a screenshot using the last ZDoom - zdoom-x64-2.9pre-2175-g4f21ff2 (12/29/16)

CRwzpZG.png

I tested with Q/GZDoom and it works fine. I don't use those because something about the rendering/lighting hurts my eyes. And that green IR effect annoys me. As GZDoom keeps advancing, I suppose I'll finally have to address it in my default setup.

On 01/10/2017 at 6:31 PM, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Downloaded the newest version. When I said ZDoom, I meant just ZDoom.

Here's a screenshot using the last ZDoom - zdoom-x64-2.9pre-2175-g4f21ff2 (12/29/16)

Summary: I think this is an engine bug, and only present in developer code that never made it into a stable release. With apologies, I don't think it's the wad's responsibility to work around such problems.

The string truncation bug was introduced in zdoom 1e497e0b3 (also merged into gzdoom) and fixed in gzdoom 5d9cea9e0. Unfortunately the fix came "after the end" of ZDoom, so was never applied there. (Digression: I wasted a lot of time on this; it seems the ZDoom and GZDoom developers are happy to push out dozens of commits that don't even compile. This makes bisecting bugs a right pain!)

I'm not inclined to work around this in 300minvr. The last ZDoom release declared stable, 2.8.1, does not have the bug. The only ZDoom revisions that do contain the bad patch were never part of a stable release. You are essentially running unstable developer code. It is difficult to justify adding workarounds in wads for unreleased developer builds of discontinued and superseded engines. It simply does not scale, there are dozens of Doom engines with hundreds or thousands of commits each. It's hard enough to justify adding workaround for older stable releases of engines still in development; enough time is spent on making sure your wad works in the latest versions of the engines that are still maintained.

As for your proposed fix: the build script generates both the dehacked patch specifying the map names, and all the intermission screen title graphics, from the same source input. Adding a space into the level titles in that source input messes up the intermission screen title graphics (adding 4 pixels on the right of each title, throwing it off centre). So I'd have to then work around that. So you're asking for a workaround that causes more problems, to work around a bug in unreleased developer code in a discontinued engine. This seems like rather too much to ask. Sorry. But please feel free to edit your copy of the wad!

Nonetheless, thanks for your report. I suggest if you want to continue using ZDoom you apply the second patch linked above, and rebuild it. If you're not able to do that perhaps one of the people who continued ZDoom development in various guises could help you. For example there is ZDoom LE (legacy edition). (Although, having never used it, I can't vouch for it.) Alternatively if you do choose to move to GZDoom, it still contains the old ZDoom renderer. In GZDoom 3.1.0, in Options / Change Rendering Output, set Hardware Acceleration to Doom Software Renderer, and turn off Software Truecolor Mode. This seems to me to be acceptably identical to ZDoom 2.8.1 rendering.

WoW. That's a lot more response than I expected. I figured you'd say "ZDoom is no longer supported. Please use GZDoom."

I only mentioned the name cut-off because I hadn't noticed it in wads before now. I didn't realize adding a space to the ends of names would cause so much upheaval. 

Thank you for all your work. Mostly, for the info about GZDoom. I never realized you could have ZDoom emulation in GZDoom. I did as you suggested and it fixed both my concerns. It's exactly what I needed.

Edit: MAP25, line 596 near the Red Key, missing textures. Only line facing the other way when textures were added to second sidedefs.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

19 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Edit: MAP25, line 596 near the Red Key, missing textures. Only line facing the other way when textures were added to second sidedefs.

Thanks, fixed this. I'll take the rest of your reply as a compliment, thank you :)

10 minutes ago, lirui1001 said:

Is there a secret not able to be tagged in map09?

There are four secrets in map09. I can confirm they're all reachable in -complevel 2 (I just tested with -nomonsters)

45 minutes ago, A7MAD said:

Map 01 UV-Max in 3:10

This will go out of sync post-update, sorry to waste your time but I believe there was fair warning

________

One more draft release because along with the map25 missing texture mentioned above I found a place you can get stuck on map21 and also succumbed to using a proper waterfall texture on maps 02, 09 and 17 instead of COMPBLUE. I feel like this is sufficiently debugged now and could go to /idgames, but I said the same thing last week.

mirror 1 mirror 2