Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Repugnus

(UPDATED) 300 Minutes of /vr/ - Speedmap Megawad

No problemo... just wanted to play something anyways , really beautiful wad though...

I did not really like that time anyways , since I was aiming below 3 min . Once the final version gets released ,  I will play it

6 hours ago, RjY said:

...also succumbed to using a proper waterfall texture on maps 02, 09 and 17 instead of COMPBLUE.

I wondered about that. Since you didn't mention it, I assume you were okay with BFALLx being used in MAP21 (instead of an LFALLx or that 64x128 DBRAINx I've seen or even BLODGRx from cc4falls.wad). BFALLx is a liquid and not too jarring.

15 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I wondered about that. Since you didn't mention it, I assume you were okay with BFALLx being used in MAP21

Yes there's a certain amount of subjectivity involved here. Stuff I see as release-blocking bugs might not bother others, conversely stuff that bothers other people I might not care about much. I am less bothered by cosmetic errors and so with texturing I've tried to focus on things other people mentioned on streams or in posts. As such I never really noticed or was bothered by the mix of BFALL1 and LAVA1. You don't see it up close much in map21, only briefly as you sail over it hurling yourself from a ledge towards land, or from very far away where it's all just red and yellow in the distance. I also don't recall anyone mentioning it during streams. In contrast the COMPBLUE waterfalls are often visible up close front and centre in map09/map17, to my eyes a marker of mid-nineties maps made before the tools existed to do better, and also were mentioned repeatedly by other players/streamers, who joked about "technofalls".

But I say "succumbed" because the project design rules (which were more or less copied from the previous /vr/ megawad, with 200 replaced with 300) stated "vanilla compatibility and no custom textures". Thus I had been agonising over whether it was fair to add a waterfall texture this late in the game, or would people have changed their map designs with the availability of custom textures from the start, even if only a select few useful ones like WFALL1? Will it upset people if I add them now? Let's hope not -- so far nobody has really said anything.

All right then I'm about to send the update to /idgames with the following explanation (writing here first so I can link to it in the required email)

Dear maintainers,

Please find in /incoming an update to 300 minutes of /vr/ (300minvr.wad), currently located at /levels/doom2/0-9/300minvr.{txt,zip} .

While I am not the original project manager / uploader, I was heavily involved in the project, doing much of the testing and bug-fixing, along with intermission screen title graphics and other sundries. Unfortunately the original release was found to be incomplete and missing several important fixes. It was agreed that I continue my fixing, and release an update after a few weeks. I believe that is now as complete as it is going to get. Although it is not perfect, I've got to stop somewhere.

I hope it is thus acceptable for you to take the update from me, and replace the original upload with it.

Please also move the files from /levels/doom2/0-9/300minvr.{txt,zip} to the more appropriate /levels/doom2/megawads/300minvr.{txt,zip} , as it is a set of 33 vanilla maps, thus I believe qualifies for the "megawad" distinction; I am certain it was somehow originally misfiled.

Many thanks for your ongoing work.

I think that's suitably grovelling, right? :)

@Repugnus Thank you for letting me work on this thing, it was a lot of fun, and thanks to all the other streamers and testers who provided valuable feedback and of course the mappers who made the thing in the first place. As I say I can't promise absolutely everything is fixed and perfect, there may be dreadful bugs I missed completely -- remember the pit at the start of 200minvr map18? -- but hopefully it is good enough.

17 hours ago, RjY said:

Thank you for letting me work on this thing, it was a lot of fun, and thanks to all the other streamers and testers who provided valuable feedback and of course the mappers who made the thing in the first place. As I say I can't promise absolutely everything is fixed and perfect, there may be dreadful bugs I missed completely -- remember the pit at the start of 200minvr map18? -- but hopefully it is good enough.

I'm positive you fixed all the most glaring bugs in the project. Any more complaints regarding bugs would be nitpicking at this point I would say, especially considering they're speedmaps and all.

But seriously thank you so much for going out of your way to do all this, I really appreciate it.

Looks interesting, I'll check it out!

Is it like true vanilla, or limit-removing?

26 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Is it like true vanilla, or limit-removing?

True vanilla. All maps can play in chocolate doom just fine with no crashing, but expect the occasional drawseg/tutti frutti error on some maps.

2 minutes ago, Repugnus said:

True vanilla. All maps can play in chocolate doom just fine with no crashing, but expect the occasional drawseg/tutti frutti error on some maps.

That's bad ass, nicely done to everyone involved!

@Bauul You've got your answer already but since I wrote this out I'm going to post it anyway. 300minvr is almost everywhere vanilla, as in, it's vanilla everywhere other than in a nonempty space of negligible measure ;). Seriously though you'll get some cosmetic errors in a pure vanilla engine. Some of the maps are a bit too heavy on the drawsegs even after being cut down a lot. @Repugnus made significant changes to several of the maps to reduce visplanes, map12 especially, and also map32 which on one entertaining occasion had about four anons trying to work on it at once. I think those are fine now though. On the other hand map21 can still run out of the wretched things if you are very unlucky. It blew up once late in my testing, but I could never replicate it. I decided it would have spoiled the design of the map to put in a load of sight-blockers to try to close down the visplanes.

Must admit I personally don't care much for vanilla limits (although I do prefer maps that stick to vanilla linedefs/physics, or at least that avoid the more exotic Boom additions); I did nearly of all my testing in rboom (based on PrBoom v2.3) in doom2v19 complevel and then just ran the demos through Chocolate Doom to see if they broke.

In short, Chocolate Doom is nearly sufficient if you're brave, but you're better off with at least Crispy or PrBoom+ -complevel 2.