Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Wad Showcase - What's Your Wad Resume?

Probably the most prominent thing I've done in terms of level editing is contributing three levels for Execution DM released back in 2000. Although I also did levels for Decamatch and Decamatch II way back in 1997-8 (20 years ago now!) which apparently have a small following of fans in the multiplayer community today.

It's fair to say that I've pretty much left my "career" as a level author behind me at this point.

Of released stuff I can only claim four areas of ZDCMP2. Two of them were then overhauled so completely by other contributors that not much beyond the rough layout remains, one of them is probably skipped entirely by 99% of players, and the last was merely built to spruce up a rather bare part of an area built by someone else. But that's the nature of collaborative projects. :)

The only work of mine worth talking about at all is Deliverance 2600.

I've made 15-ish other wads, but their quality has been... questionable, to say the least.

Finished stuff:

2015 - Doomworld Megaproject 2015 - Deimos Quarry

2015 - Doomworld Roulette: Session 1 - Refuge Below the Brutish Strait

2015 - Doom 2 Redux - map17 & map24

2016 - Doomworld Roulette: Session 2 - Shrivelled Graveyard (Unreleased)

2016 - Cereal Killer - 2 maps

2016 - 32in24-16: Doot CTF - Ren & Stimpack

2016 - Doomworld Megaproject 2016 - Sons of Liberty

2016 - Behemoth - Single map (really should get this on idgames i guess)

2016 - TNT: Resistance - Nukage Filtration

2017 - Nova III - Blood Eagle

2017 - Super Mayhem 17 - Rainbow Road

2017 - Joy of Mapping 4E4M5 - Escape Velocity

2017 - Joy of Mapping 4E4MFinal - Alienation

2017 - Eagle Speedmapping Sessions 6 - Viscera

WIP: more Nova III maps, UDiNO E2M8, E3M7, map05 for TNT:Resistance, another Cereal Killer map, a bunch of vanilla Plutonia maps, probably more stuff on top.

I want to release my own mapset sometime but i basically would only put all the effort into that if i think it might be good enough to possibly contend for a cacoward (by my own standards anyway). Otherwise i wouldn't waste my time. And i don't think i'm a good enough mapper to be in that position, i haven't even realised my own style yet (although i am getting there, i was pleased with the way E4M5 from JOM4 plays). I can't even be bothered to release Behemoth cause it's now old and of course i don't think it's my best work now.

Screens of some shit i made:

FJIbgJG.jpg

Edited by Scotty

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Walter_Confalonieri_(daimon)

2017:

Eagles speedmapping session 2 map02

Confinement 256 - 3 maps

List of released stuff.

Incoming stuff:

Gridlock MAP10

Eagles speedmapping session 4 final map

Eagles speedmapping session 6 map01

A map for DMP 2017

WIP projects:

Earthbase, a classic style episode for doom 2 still on works from... 2006, i think, and with the friendly cooperation of lupinx-Kassman for making 2 new maps for this (MAP05 and MAP07) and revamping MAP09

A map for Hump project

More to come!

Edited by Walter confetti

No matter how much and which exactly wads I did...because everybody will remember only one fact about me:

"THAT GUY CREATED DOOD!"

But if talk seriously - I don't even remember every wad I've created and uploaded to Net. Seriously, I did even "Winter Edition" for the Ghouls vs Humans in 2009, but nobody remembers it because it was shitty "snowy-retextured" original GVH mappack. And I also did "Co-op version" of the Action Doom 1...oh my...

Nevermind, forget about this, I just did DooD

I've got time, I guessssss.

tl;dr -- there's quite a bit of stuff bearing the proud bzzrak sector signature.

Spoiler

Solo stuff:

18.02.2016 -- "Winnie Pooh" -- 2-map WAD, first attempt at mapping. Got a LOT more exposure than it should have. In my defence, it did work properly.

25.02.2016 -- "Something Awful" -- techbase level, uses one wall texture and one floor/ceiling flat, has absolutely no health or armor, the best non-secret weapon is the shotgun, full of hitscanners. Surprisingly fun to play. A remake might or might not be in the works.

12.03.2016 -- "Help Out" -- decent 90s style Hell level. Really proud of how this one turned out.

01.04.2016 -- "Something Awful, part 3 - 7 + 6" -- crosses the line between "awful" and "surreal".

14.04.2016 -- "Jupiter Carnage" -- beginning of an epic saga. Decent 90s style starbase level, sector furniture present. The sky floor represents the Jupiter gas clouds beneath you.

20.05.2016 -- "Jupiter Carnage 2" -- you go to hell to fight off the source of the invasion. Very proud of this one.

25.11.2016 -- "Jupiter Carnage 3" -- in the meantime, Hell has occupied the space base owned by your high school friend. Spent 7 months making this one. Delighted with how it  turned out, although in hindsight I should've added 4x more health.

23.02.2017 -- "MDK Skies Pack" -- what its title says.

15.03.2017 -- "Low Memory" -- abstract "cyberspace" level, a semi-trollmap, almost 2048x2048. I experimented with different colours and concepts here and liked it a lot. Probably my best level. Also taught me not to fiddle with textures without a very good reason.

Not solo stuff:

15.09.2016 -- "Castle of Hegemonic Crucifixion" for Texture Extravaganza CP -- Awkward castle level. Who would've known back then that I would become the leader of that CP... fate can be ironic. :]

31.12.2016 -- "NOT" for Aquatex Mapping Experiment -- awesome techbase level. I dare say that this is my most visually beautiful work. Feels good to not care about visplanes for a change.

09.05.2017 -- "It's Gonna Be a Blast" for Confinement 256 -- works in vanilla, but who cares about that when the mapslot is goddamn CONF34.

03.06.2017 -- "Unexplainably Unexplorable" for Eagle Speedmapping Session #3 -- funky city map, confused the hell out of everyone due to a minor door gimmick.

09.09.2017 -- "UNORTHODOX" for Eagle Speedmapping Session #6 -- has a deep philosophical meaning that I still haven't figured out.

Also...

Spoiler

...a map for REKKR. Yes, you read that right. The REKKR. Just wait until it comes out, it's badass. It also made me hate OpenGL renderers, because I had to keep compatible with that trash as well. :]

One unreleased map:

"Something Sensational" -- what should've become the second ever map for Risen3D that wasn't made by a member of the Risen3D team. I wanted this to end up in DMP2017 (to troll ZDoom fans), but I'm not sure if I have the patience to finish it. Trolled myself instead! :]

Edited by bzzrak

11 hours ago, Impie said:

Yeah after a while working on the same project gets old. I thought about doing a sixth PE episode but decided to just start something new instead.

And nobody wants to be the guy who keeps updating the same project for like fifty years. Well, most of us anyway.

My gripe my very first project is it being a first project, you know, the first thing you do in a new hobbie rarely goes good, music, art, modelling, mapping, anything of the kind, practice takes time, and in my case there i was pushing the thing too much, to only notice i was wasting my time few years later.

But now hey, 4 more years and Hunter's Moon will complete 10 years of development, lol.

The years are a rough guess, and not all of them I would really deem "noteworthy," but nonetheless...

2002? - Stone Stratagems

First major project shared here.  Still very much wet behind the ears in the world of map making, but still decided to whip out 21 total maps as a result of pure ambition.  Part experimental areas; part mimicking areas from Doom 64.

2003 - The Grand Arising (Helix)

Ascending wood platform, vast cave, and the Wormhole gimmick.

2003 - Schreienwolf Fortress (Roughly translated "Shouting Wolf" Fortress)

A Wolf3D-esque map but with a twist:  Experimenting with Boom effects and scripts.

2008 - Hyper-Node Alpha

"Hi, ZDoom.  How ya doin'?"  Last /idgames submission before I went off to a university.

2014 - Sunbleed

Getting back into mapping after six years, this was an attempt to getting myself used to the modern, "generally accepted" mapping style with gameplay emphasized.  Also started learning how to use custom resources all over again hence the entirety of one of Cage's texture packs being in the wad.  Whoops.  Not sure if that Mediafire link even works anymore.

2015 - Defiling Well

Attempt #2 after an additional 6-month hiatus.  A watery canyon/cave map with a bit more aesthetically pleasing areas than Sunbleed but took up too much time to fine-tune.  This one got a bit more praise however.

2017 - Interlock

Attempt #3.  A small metal-textured base sitting along side a rocky cliff with limited cover by the use of mid textures.  I personally had high hopes for this, but unfortunately I ran into a few zdoomisms and rookie mistakes on release I was scurrying to fix around 1 am.  In the end, the map unfortunately kind of got swallowed by the abyss.

Unhonorable Mentions

2005 - Underconduct

My first and last attempt at a Deathmatch map.  I believe I didn't get the concept of what defines a "deathmatch" map quite well...

2007 - 1 Monster Megawad: Map18 - "Knightmire"

Cramped area, floor borders, poor execution and decisions...  *sigh*

20 hours ago, fraggle said:

Probably the most prominent thing I've done in terms of level editing is contributing three levels for Execution DM released back in 2000. Although I also did levels for Decamatch and Decamatch II way back in 1997-8 (20 years ago now!) which apparently have a small following of fans in the multiplayer community today.

It's fair to say that I've pretty much left my "career" as a level author behind me at this point.

I don't think I ever played the DM packs you worked on from back on this halcyon days of the java IRC applet on doomworld's front page... but notable by omission is your 10 sectors submission in 10sector2, which I quite enjoyed, and your (now cut) maps for Freedoom which I was sad to see go, especially the E1M2 or E1M3, whichever it was, which had a lot of promise I thought.

I made a status update some months ago to this end. Reiterating for thread:

Blasphemous Intent (2001 / 2018) - Old Heretic maps dug out by forum oldster Jon that I made back when, just before a mapping hiatus.

Murderous Intent (2001) - seven techbases. Too cramped, shitty implementation of difficulty.

No Hope For Life E1 (2001) - E1M3 is mine. Again, too cramped (I had a poor perception of space, I think). Way too homagey.

Doomworld Speedmapping Compilation #2 (2001) - MAP10 and WTF, this is poor. Looks okay for a speedmap of the time, plays like ass.

Doomworld Speedmapping Compilation #3 (2001) - MAP05, better than the above (kinda) and I like the traps. But why did I forget ANY health?

DoomCenter Episode 1 contest (2001) - E2M6, which I reused/edited a little for Sinister Intention. It's my map, I'll do what I want.

Sinister Intention (2012) - seven techbases (familiar? :P) in which I effectively forced pistol use against all low-tier enemies. Ugh, WHY?

100 Lines (2013) - several maps are mine, check the readme. I enjoyed this project enough to crib together my own episode.

900 Deep in the Dead (2013) - one map cribbed from the above, full E1 replacement. Am still proud of this, actually.

Switcheroom 2 (2015?) - MAP01, a mashup of sorts between the first and last maps of DOOM 2. Eh, not bad.

Nex Credo (2016) - 11 DOOM 2-styled maps, a mixed bag. Some of the better maps being used (with permission) for FreeDoom currently.

The Becoming (2017) - some maps here I really like. E2M5 is probably my best ever IMO.

FreeDoom (?) - On top of Nex Credo supplying some phase 2 maps, so far I have created a new C3M1 for phase 1.

Unlike some others here, there's no hesitation on my part to admit I made some poor maps back when. It's okay to me, because seeing that there's been a progression in my craft makes me feel good.

Edited by Jayextee : Keepin' it updated.

I've currently made two contributions to the Doom community, though I have about a million unfinished Doom maps that I intend to finish some day...

The first one is this GZDoom map called "Straight to Hell" that I uploaded back in 2012. The idea behind this map was to experiment with "interactive story-telling" ala Half-Life. By walking up to NPCs you could "talk" to them and they would give you some flavor-text, with which I tried to do some world-building. Otherwise it's a pretty short map. A friend of mine, TheMetal4All, provided the custom MIDI music.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/sth

The second contribution is in the form of a submission for the Five Rooms of Doom community project called The Overkill. As the name of the WAD implies, the map is limited to just five rooms, though some maps honestly stretched the definition of that. It's a pretty straight-forward map I think, though one thing I kind of regret is making it stupidly difficult on UV. It's definitely doable, but this is one of those cases where I finished it during my first test-plays and said "okay, this is fine". The custom music was again provided by TheMetal4All.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/5room

Even though my contributions have been small, I hope people enjoyed playing them. :)

Hey @Jon - longshot here, but would you happen to (for some reason) still have two Heretic maps I made (and I remember you played, and told me you liked back on IRC) circa 2001-ish? Lava City and The Cistern, if that jogs the memory.

I don't suppose so (of course), but whilst you're here and we're talking old WADs... ;)

1 minute ago, Jayextee said:

Hey @Jon - longshot here, but would you happen to (for some reason) still have two Heretic maps I made (and I remember you played, and told me you liked back on IRC) circa 2001-ish? Lava City and The Cistern, if that jogs the memory.

I don't suppose so (of course), but whilst you're here and we're talking old WADs... ;)

OMG so *you* made them! I've been looking for them in my old backup CDs/DVDs and I have't found them yet... but I couldn't remember who made them either which made searching harder. What nick did you use back in the day? I'll keep looking! I'm 90% sure they will be on one of my backups.

Just now, Jon said:

OMG so *you* made them! I've been looking for them in my old backup CDs/DVDs and I have't found them yet... but I couldn't remember who made them either which made searching harder. What nick did you use back in the day? I'll keep looking! I'm 90% sure they will be on one of my backups.

HOLY SHIT, I AM IMPRESSED YOU REMEMBER! I would, Ikea Effect and all that, but I didn't know if they made a blip on you. Username would've been this one, or shortened to 'Jxt' perhaps. As I remember, filenames were merely lavacity.wad and cistern.wad (if I recall correctly, about 80% sure I have) if that helps at all.

Villa de Rais (2001)

Apprehension (2003)

Castle of the Nemesis (2003)

Project: Doom (2008)

QuakeStyle (2010)

Doomzone (2012 / Ongoing)

Doom Gaiden: Insertion (2014)

So yeah, mostly junk.

1 hour ago, Jayextee said:

HOLY SHIT, I AM IMPRESSED YOU REMEMBER! I would, Ikea Effect and all that, but I didn't know if they made a blip on you. Username would've been this one, or shortened to 'Jxt' perhaps. As I remember, filenames were merely lavacity.wad and cistern.wad (if I recall correctly, about 80% sure I have) if that helps at all.

I specifically remember lava city, and I was looking for it a year or so ago. I was reminded again when the HUMP project started up. It was a cool little level :) I was mis-rememering the author as being Jonathan Rimmer. Sorry about that!

Edit: just had a quick look over the ISOs I have available (not all of mine are imported to my NAS yet) and I couldn't find it again, but I'll keep looking (and importing). Can you remember which year roughly it was done in?

Edited by Jon

It has been fun creating maps on and off for the past 20+ years.

Here is the list. 

Spoiler

The Twilight Zone

Death Tormention

Verada (aka Please Consider)

id quallity deathmatch level 

pc_plan 

BIG BOY 

PC_WOLF

TOXIN REFINERY 

The Twilight Zone II: Final Dreams 

Vectra, The last mystery 

Death Tormention II (with Kristian Aro and Chris Harbin)

Operation BIOWAR (with Chris Harbin and John Bishop) 

No releases. Was working on 2002ado.

10 Sectors Part 2, MAP02, MAP10, MAP16, MAP18

Selfish Series 1

2001 A Deathmatch Odyssey 

Candy choppers (Heretic)

0scraps.zip 

SPACIA: A Silly DOOM space advanture 

MAD STUFF FOR DOOM 2

2002: A Doom Odyssey 

E1M1: The Entry

E1M3: The Doomed Lab

E1M5: Combat Station

E1M7: Service Base

E1M9: Lugano Base ZRX

E2M1: Station Alpha

E2M4: Shotgun Blues

E2M5: Fortress of Fatalities

E2M7: Puzzles to Solve (with Kristian Aro)

E2M8: Total Disturbance

E2M9: Dungeon of Hate

E3M2: Caves of Bosnia

E3M7: System Central

E3M8: Spider Temple

E4M1: Play School

E4M8: Impossible Mission

E4M9: Secret Wolfenstein Level

E5M1: The Mighty Green

Bella 

Bella II (with Chris Hansen and Kristian "Nebula" Aro) 

THE LAST DOOM LEVEL MADE IN 2003

SELFISH4 

SEDNA 1

Train Station

Foghorn 

Simply Phobos all of Episode 1 (with Kristian "Nebula" Aro E2M9 bonus map)

SELFISH 5 

000 EMERGENCY 

Death Tormention 3 E4M2, E4M4, E4M7, E4M8, E4M9 (Doomworld/idgames)

Palace Of Nemrac

DM BRIDGE (Deathmatch)

The New Adventure 

SPACESHIP 1024 

Maze of Frustration

Go To Hell

Into Sandy's City

FORTRESS 1024 

Scanning Electron Microscope 

Hell Keep Remake

Midnight Island (Ghoul map)

Lucifer's Spell

Another Bloody Chapter 

Didac's Revenge

1 Monster MAP21: Cyberswat

Community Chest 3 MAP09: As the Doctor Sleeps

WolfenDoomed 

Pcorf's Music Rejects 

Technician's Base 

Plutonia 2 Music (MAP21, MAP27, songs created in 2000)

Claustrophobia 1024 (Doomworld/idgames)MAP08: Hex of Depression, MAP11: Technicfear

Selfish Series (Boom Edition) 

Scythe X Music

Whispers of Satan (with Kristian "Nebula" Aro) 

Processing Bunker 

Deimos Entry 

Base of Sacrificium

Paul's Deathmatch (Deathmatch)

Doom 2 Unleashed Pcorf Community Project, MAP01: Bashed Base, MAP15: Life-Wrecking Center

Doom the Way id Did E3M5: Chapel of Scorn

The Infested Hideout 

2002: A Doom Odyssey - 10th Anniversary Edition, E4M1: Unity, E3M5: Blood and Guts

Community Chest 4, MAP27: Vulcana II

Subdivision

Doomworld Mega Project 2012, MAP25: Memang

Botero's Mansion (a tune-up of my first ever map)

The Great Urban Battle

Zone 300

32in24-13: A Thanksgiving Without Burgers, MAP30: Super Sweet Candy + Soundtrack for MAP30

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 MAP03: Visation

The Combat Base 

Mayhem 2048 Map 13: Death Dungeon

Incineration

Doomworld Mega Project 2014  MAP14: Gabiro Petiatis

April Fools STARTAN Maps of Any Quality MAP01: The Real Whispers of STARTAN

Doomed Space Wars (Zdoom wad, SP and DM)

2048 Unleashed Pcorf Community Project 2, MAP12: Once Nice (with GregLafitte), MAP22: Haunted Village ,MAP33: Voodoo Magic, MAP49: Rat Race

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels Conversions: LOST19; LOST28; LOST33

Doomworld Mega Project 2015, MAP19: Spaceswitch 2 (dmp2015b.wad)

MAYhem 1500 MAP08: Shi (shi = Death in Japanese)

THT: Threnody, MAP03: Chemical Facility, MAP13: Binde Haldetmand Palae

Soundtrack for the title screen and maps 03, 04, 06 and 13.

Sinful Outpost

Dens of Borsippa 

Plucker (Deathmatch map)

Doomworld Mega Project 2017 Wrath of The Wingless Pigeon (yet to be released)

And more to come......

Edited by pcorf

1 hour ago, Jon said:

just had a quick look over the ISOs I have available (not all of mine are imported to my NAS yet) and I couldn't find it again, but I'll keep looking (and importing). Can you remember which year roughly it was done in?

2001, I believe. I was quite prolific then, it would appear. This was before burning myself out on the ill-fated Murderous Intent 2 in 2002 and then my long hiatus.

Well, there's not much interesting stuff, tbh. I wish I haven't had stayed so long into ZDoom gimmicks, but oh well.

Here's the list:

Eclipse (ZDoom - 2008):
I don't like it, it's way too dated.

Discovering the Hell: The Invasion (ZDoom - 2012):
There's lots of green stuff and ruins, but the battles sucks lol, so whatever. I like the mp3 in it, though.

Discovering the Hell: The 5 Worlds (ZDoom - 2015):
The ratings tell what to expect, and it was abandoned.

Nevasca (ZDoom - 2016):
The first actually playable stuff from myself, I guess. I still like it, although it has been some time I don't play it.

Moonblood (Boom - 2017):
My first (and only) megawad. It's far from perfect, but I like it a lot. It's very focused on specific playstyles, though, so you might not like it.

Edited by Deadwing

1 hour ago, Jayextee said:

2001, I believe. I was quite prolific then, it would appear. This was before burning myself out on the ill-fated Murderous Intent 2 in 2002 and then my long hiatus.

Thanks. That will help with scanning over the listings. Can I assume then that you don't have a copy and it's not on /idgames?

3 minutes ago, Jon said:

Can I assume then that you don't have a copy and it's not on /idgames?

This is precisely it. I can remember liking the two maps (even if they might be pretty-cramped, as was my mapping style back then) and lost them to time/old computers, and given the relative lack of Heretic stuff in /idgames thought they may be a nice, if dated, addition.

This is already way more than I expected, many thanks in advance even if searching is ultimately fruitless. :)