Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BahdKo

Language barrier AGAIN

Well, I have gotten yet another email that I can't read. I don't have a clue as to what language this is, either. Can anyone read this?

"hallo hoe ken ik doom 2 online spellen met de kabel

groete richard"

eh .. yeah.

--BahdKo

Hallo BahdKo, genoß ich das neue Kapitel Ihres website mit den Artikeln über technische Aspekte des Doom.

Linguica said:

Hello BahdKo, I enjoyed the new chapter their website with the articles over technical aspects of the Doom

Heh, I'm sure you did. BTW, I hate Babelfish.

Linguica said:

Hallo BahdKo, genoß ich das neue Kapitel Ihres website mit den Artikeln über technische Aspekte des Doom.

I would have written it like this:

Hallo BahdKo,
ich genoß das neue Kapitel auf Ihrer Webseite, mit den Artikeln über die technischen Aspekte Dooms.

Or, if I would live in the 19th century, maybe like this:

Mein sehr verehrter BahdKo,
es fällt mir überaus schwer, einen adäquaten Ausdruck für den außerordentlichen Genuß zu finden, den mir die Lektüre Ihres doch so profunden und neuen Artikels über all die technischen Aspekte und Belange des Computerspieles "Doom" bereitet hat.

Mit dem Ausdruck der vorzüglichsten Hochachtung ziehe ich mich in dankend zurück.

^_^

‚ ‚È‚½‚Í‚Å‚ ‚éˆÙí–¯‚ðZ‚܂킹‚éB

In other news, DoomWorld doesn't support Japanese encoding.

Gott in Himmel! Ich vergesse was ich hat in Deutscheklasse gelernt.

I think its quite obvious. >_<

Weird. I understand that someone tries to send her a mail in spanish given that a lot of americans learn to speak spanish, but dutch?? That's not a language you'd usually count on people to know. Unless they come from the Netherlands and or live near the Netherlands border of course.

IMJack said:

‚ ‚È‚½‚Í‚Å‚ ‚éˆÙí–¯‚ðZ‚܂킹‚éB

In other news, DoomWorld doesn't support Japanese encoding.

Which, reminds me that there are not that many asian doomers around. I, personally, have only heard of two Japanese doomers, of which one have made two rather cool levels.

Well, the Japanese aren't really into PCs, they much prefer consoles. PCs are big in South Korea, although they tend to only play on-line strategy and RPG games. I don't really know about any of the other Asian countries, although I'd imagine that not many people have PCs (at least for gaming purposes) in North Vietnam or China.

NiGHTMARE said:

Well, the Japanese aren't really into PCs, they much prefer consoles. PCs are big in South Korea, although they tend to only play on-line strategy and RPG games. I don't really know about any of the other Asian countries, although I'd imagine that not many people have PCs (at least for gaming purposes) in North Vietnam or China.

The following link provides some related info:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/22872.html
Perhaps if the main consoles aren't being sold there, PC gaming will increase.
Oops, this seems to have strayed off-topic...

BahdKo said:
"hallo hoe ken ik doom 2 online spellen met de kabel
groete richard"

It's very badly spelled Dutch. Anyway, he indeed wants to know how to play Doom2 online on cable.

Peter Heinemann said:

I would have written it like this:

Hallo BahdKo,
ich genoß das neue Kapitel auf Ihrer Webseite, mit den Artikeln über die technischen Aspekte Dooms.

"Hi BahdKo,
I enjoyed the new chapter with the articles about the technical aspects of Doom on your website"

Or, if I would live in the 19th century, maybe like this:

Mein sehr verehrter BahdKo,
es fällt mir überaus schwer, einen adäquaten Ausdruck für den außerordentlichen Genuß zu finden, den mir die Lektüre Ihres doch so profunden und neuen Artikels über all die technischen Aspekte und Belange des Computerspieles "Doom" bereitet hat.

Mit dem Ausdruck der vorzüglichsten Hochachtung ziehe ich mich in dankend zurück.

^_^

"My very honoured BahdKo,
I find it very difficult to adequately express the great enjoyment that the reading material of your new and very thorough article about all the technical aspects and the importance of the computer game Doom has given me.

With great thanks, I shall hereby retire with the utmost high regards."

Just practicing my translation skills. Note that the translations given above may not be fully correct (the last line in the last translation is definitely not idiomatically correct as you would say something completely different in English).

Mordeth said:

It's very badly spelled Dutch. Anyway, he indeed wants to know how to play Doom2 online on cable.

How do you know?
Are you Dutch?

Nuno Correia said:

Disorder: sim, ele é holandês.

Is that Portugean?
I'm not really sure, but I think it means:

Correct, he is Dutch.

Am I right?

Little Faith said:

Weird. I understand that someone tries to send her a mail in spanish given that a lot of americans learn to speak spanish, but dutch?? That's not a language you'd usually count on people to know. Unless they come from the Netherlands and or live near the Netherlands border of course.

Or half of Belgium, which also speaks dutch. (well, it's got a different name but it's the same language)

Ultimate DooMer said:

Or half of Belgium, which also speaks dutch. (well, it's got a different name but it's the same language)

I poked around for some figures on this. From http://www.flw.com/languages/dutch.htm:
"Dutch is spoken by the inhabitants of the Netherlands, and is also the official language of Surinam in South America, and of the Netherlands Antilles in the Caribbean Sea. It is also spoken in northern Belgium but there the language is generally referred to as Flemish.
"13,400,000 in the Netherlands, 90,000 in France, 101,000 in Germany, 159,000 in Canada, 5,600,000 in Belgium, 425,000 in USA, 50,000 in Australia; 1,000 or more in Surinam, 20,000,000 or more in all countries."
According to another source, Dutch is the 42nd most widely spoken language in the world.
(The figure for Surinam must be wrong, but I can't be bothered to check it.)

Little Faith said:

Weird. I understand that someone tries to send her a mail in spanish given that a lot of americans learn to speak spanish, but dutch?? That's not a language you'd usually count on people to know.

He will have been confused into thinking she was Dutch as BahdKo in Dutch means "Doom playing woman of shining beauty"

Grazza said:

"13,400,000 in the Netherlands, 90,000 in France, 101,000 in Germany, 159,000 in Canada, 5,600,000 in Belgium, 425,000 in USA, 50,000 in Australia; 1,000 or more in Surinam, 20,000,000 or more in all countries."

13,400,000 in the Netherlands?
That article must be old then. There are now more than 16,000,000 people living in The Netherlands. But the rest is correct I guess, it may be a bit more now..

fodders said:

He will have been confused into thinking she was Dutch as BahdKo in Dutch means "Doom playing woman of shining beauty"

It does? =)

Disorder said:

13,400,000 in the Netherlands?
That article must be old then. There are now more than 16,000,000 people living in The Netherlands. But the rest is correct I guess, it may be a bit more now..

Maybe the extra 2,600,000+ don't actually speak Dutch?

WARNING: TOPIC DANGEROUSLY OFF-COURSE
RESUME COURSE OR THIS THREAD IS HEADED FOR PH

Since when has a post going off-topic been reason to post hell it, unless the new topic is flamebait?

However, wasn't mentioning the place you just mentioned supposed to be a ban-worthy offence or something?

Believe me, it's happened before. And I don't think I'll be banned for saying PH, now if I said Post H***, that'd be a different story. And other people have said it, they haven't been banned or anything.

NiGHTMARE said:

Maybe the extra 2,600,000+ don't actually speak Dutch?

I din't know there were that many Americans living over there. :P