Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scalliano

DF Retro does Doom!

I just thought this video is worth a thread. what's you guys' opinion on this guy's opinion? PSX Doom is my favorite though. :D

I remember the first time playing PSX Doom back in 1995, I was totally blown away by it. I still have the original copy of it, and it works perfect even after all these years.

Quite awesome, i never paid atention to the other Doom ports besides the snes one, but the smooth shading of the jaguar version does look quite good indeed, wonder if it GZDoom or other port have that feature.

Would love to see DF tackle the doom source ports

Doom ports are pretty interesting to me.  In fact, I've completed every official (English) release except for the 3DO and the Pocket PC (mainly because the 3DO version is unplayable for me and I don't have a Pocket PC).

I miss the days when each platform had its own quirks forcing devs to give ports of their games different 'flavours'...

@DMPhobos:  I use a built-in tone map in GZDoom called Hejl Dawson that gives off a similar vibe to the Jag port.  :)

Will definitely be watching this later today. Doom ports are a fascinating relic of 90s rendering. There were so many different types of hardware being developed that all produced drastically different results. Each port of Doom has its own look and feel. And think about how bizarre Doom 64 is. Midway completely redid the visuals, updated the engine and produced an entirely new set of maps. Not only would that be unheard of now, but the amount of work that it would entail would probably not net any profit.

and DF made the same mistake as GameTheorists, claiming that being able to hit enemies below and above you is evidence for the game being 2D. amazing how many people nowadays believe that it is a 2D game.

it just happened that me and @scalliano posted at the same time. don't know about another one haha. apologize though.

Really great video, but Doom 64 was definitely not explored enough. I don't think the narrator was aware of the pentagram keys as they were never brought up, and I think he should have gone into more detail about the major engine changes. Still, he included basically every single 90s era Doom port and was very accurate and detailed about the differences. This was definitely one of the more in-depth Doom retrospective videos out there.

On 9/19/2017 at 2:29 PM, Sp00kyFox said:

and DF made the same mistake as GameTheorists, claiming that being able to hit enemies below and above you is evidence for the game being 2D. amazing how many people nowadays believe that it is a 2D game.

Yeah, I was annoyed enough about this that I didn't watch the video yet!

On 9/20/2017 at 7:07 PM, CapnClever said:

I know this is a cool video an' all, but we don't need three threads for it in the last four days.

There have actually been 4 threads made about it... so far.