Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
genericpainelemental

custom message problem with scrolling

Question

like the title says I've gotten my custom message for map07 in my wad to work the only problem is that it scrolls the wrong way and im not sure how to fix it I've tried editing the text and all that does is make only one thing of text pop up. (i used doom builder 2 to make the wad whackED4 to make the message and slade3 to put it in the level)

here's a file of the wad

isthisawadyet_v3.zip

14 answers to this question

Also you should spend a lot more time on each level. You seem to have gotten some of the tricks down but there are A LOT of flaws and errors in these levels. Like in the first level you need to remove the lower textures for the first 2 doors. And the crushers in the first two level are mising textures as well.

10 minutes ago, genericpainelemental said:

yeah the message that talks about the starport and whatnot.

I looked into your wad and sorry but I have not used WHACKED4 or what ever. I would have used mapinfo to define a cluster. Is there a reason you didn't use that?

1 hour ago, genericpainelemental said:

it's just because i had no idea how to edit map info so i just used whackED4 since it was easier to understand.

Mapinfo tutorial, it isn't so hard as it looks. 

MAPINFO is a good option. Or if you want to check out that DEHACKED lump there are two problems: 

A) The message for MAP07 text has been split on several lines. The whole message should be on one single line. 
B) The message lines are way too long. Doom engines can't do text wrapping for DEHACKED automaticly. The row changes in DEHACKED are marked as \n markers and normally Whacked 4 can place them automaticly.

The message screen in Doom can show some 17-20 text rows and around 40-50 letters per row. (Depends of the sourceport. Wider letters such as W take more room than I.) To try fix this:

Spoiler

1) Open up the wad in Slade and find the the DEHACKED lump. There is:

C1TEXT = UPON EXITING THE FACILITY YOU COME ACROSS A 
RADIO AND TRY TO CONTACT COMMAND\nSUDDENLY THE 
COMMANDER BEGINS TALKING 
AND TELLS YOU THAT HE AND HIS SQUAD ARE PINNED DOWN BY\nA GROUP OF RENEGADE MARINES WITH HIGH ORDNANCE WEAPONS HE THEN TELLS YOU THAT YOUR THE CLOSEST PERSON TO THE AREA\nTHE RENEGADES ARE HELD UP\nAND TELLS YOU THE COORDINATES BEFORE ORDERING YOU TO HEAD THERE.

2) Edit the text in Slade window and make the lines around 40 letters per each line:

C1TEXT = 
UPON EXITING THE FACILITY YOU COME ACROSS 
A RADIO AND TRY TO CONTACT COMMAND\n
SUDDENLY THE COMMANDER BEGINS TALKING 
AND TELLS YOU THAT HE AND HIS SQUAD ARE 

PINNED DOWN BY\nA GROUP OF RENEGADE MARINES[...]

3) Remove the \n markers in the middle of the lines and add new ones at the end of each line:

C1TEXT = 
UPON EXITING THE FACILITY YOU COME ACROSS\n
A RADIO AND TRY TO CONTACT COMMAND\n
\n
SUDDENLY THE COMMANDER BEGINS TALKING\n
AND TELLS YOU THAT HE AND HIS SQUAD ARE\n [...]

4) Next edit the text so that it all is on the one single line: 
(go with the blinking text cursor to the end of each line and press del.)

C1TEXT = UPON EXITING THE FACILITY YOU COME ACROSS\nA RADIO AND TRY TO CONTACT COMMAND\n\nSUDDENLY THE COMMANDER BEGINS TALKING\nAND TELLS YOU THAT HE AND HIS SQUAD ARE\nPINNED DOWN BY A GROUP OF RENEGADE MARINES\nWITH HIGH ORDNANCE WEAPONS HE THEN TELLS\nYOU THAT YOUR THE CLOSEST PERSON TO THE\nAREA\n\nTHE RENEGADES ARE HELD UP AND TELLS YOU\nTHE COORDINATES BEFORE ORDERING YOU TO\nHEAD THERE.

5) Hit save above the text editing screen in Slade (to save the changes to the entry) and save the whole wad from File > Save. 

124.jpg.fab24d8279664b7ddab9dddfcbb6d237.jpg

Myst.Haruko Gave a good link to help.

In your levels however. Try things like variance in sector heights, more consistency with textures, draw the map out before hand on paper, make sure your enemies heads aren't being cut-off by a ceiling, LOTS OF TEXTURE ALIGNMENT(doombuilder and gzdoombuilder has auto-align features).

Don't be afraid of the work. Mapping can get quite detail oriented and can be very time consuming. Just in the 2 months I have been mapping, I have lost whole days....don't know where they went.

One last note... if your going for zdoom and such: https://zdoom.org/wiki/

It really is your best friend and in many cases has been far more helpful than asking questions.