Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grain of Salt

No-Save November

Just now, Grain of Salt said:

No-Save November is where you play doom without saving.

And how am I suppose to stop my finger to hit F6 when it gets really strong urges to do so, huh?

5 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

No-Save November is where you play doom without saving.

Surely you meant to say "without sawing"?

8 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Surely you meant to say "without sawing"?

1. We can do No Saw November next year.

2. I very rarely saw anyway :l

Assuming this means no mid-level saves, instead of pistol-starting whenever you die, it's No-Save November for me all year long.

It's also basically No-Saw November for me too, since I suck at using it on anything but Pinkies and Lost Souls in perfect single-file lines.

Without being judgmental about it, I was actually really surprised when I started reading about Doom how many people saved on the reg (to the point that it's more common than playing the levels in whole?). It's like save-stating a console game to me.

> no-saw November

This is all year round for me. Usually.

> no-save November

If playing the IWADs (Plutonia excepted), ditto.

30 minutes ago, Cipher said:

Assuming this means no mid-level saves, instead of pistol-starting whenever you die, it's No-Save November for me all year long.

It's also basically No-Saw November for me too, since I suck at using it on anything but Pinkies and Lost Souls in perfect single-file lines.

Without being judgmental about it, I was actually really surprised when I started reading about Doom how many people saved on the reg (to the point that it's more common than playing the levels in whole?). It's like save-stating a console game to me.

depends on what kind of wads you play.

im trying to play Stardate 20x7 with the club at the moment, and even on HMP im getting my arse handed to me 10-20 times per level, and these aren't short maps! dont have the time realistically to no-save every wad i play any more :(

1 hour ago, Grain of Salt said:

It's coming. Will you take part? Are you prepared? Do you believe?

i will only support this endeavour if we play something nice and easy for the DWMC 👌

3 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

depends on what kind of wads you play.

im trying to play Stardate 20x7 with the club at the moment, and even on HMP im getting my arse handed to me 10-20 times per level, and these aren't short maps! dont have the time realistically to no-save every wad i play any more :(

It definitely has me preferring shorter, punchier wads. Anything longer than the typical iwad level is too long. Or at least too long to be handing out nasty traps, unless the whole level's reeaaaally engaging and every encounter allows for learning and improvement.

It'll actually be interesting to see how people who participate in this wind up feeling about level design. I've been of the opinion that maps that are tedious/frustrating to replay from death (usually because of the one-two-punch of erratic difficulty spikes and large size) are simply poorly designed maps from a gameplay perspective, and need to find a better balance between length and how they handle encounter-design, but those are flaws that could be totally glossed over while playing with regular saves.

23 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

If playing the IWADs (Plutonia excepted), ditto.

Having recently done this (mostly) blind, I highly support trying it!

Plutonia's like my ideal of levels that are hard but still fun to replay from death without saves. They're the right length and every encounter offers room for improvement.

Currently a few scattered levels into pistol-start attempts (I think I've seen you mention you're doing the same).

totally @Cipher . for example the club played through Urania, which i skipped as it was recommended that it was a slog; reading the write-ups i was glad i did. i couldnt imagine getting any enjoyment out of such lengthly levels without the addition of saves. for someone brought up on saving all the time, the maps would be a pleasing and lengthy 'adventure' where any road-bumps or ill-judged encounters would be briefly forgotten after clearing just once (or twice if particularly harsh) but to someone recording an FDA or holding off on the saves they would be a deal-breaker.

1 hour ago, rehelekretep said:

i will only support this endeavour if we play something nice and easy for the DWMC 👌

Me and my sinister cabal will be forcing you to play [throws dart at board] ... Dark Tartarus.

20 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

But that's not a November exclusive If you do it all the time :(

It's for training while waiting for the month ;)

who knows...

I do no-saving runs at times and it is fun to see how clumsy I can be and how good or bad a move I made was, but in some levels I just prefer to save 1-3 times, because of their size or difficulty or because I had a habit of save spamming, so it is hard to totally stop it.

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

no-doom November

I think you're on to something! Everyone plays Outlaws instead!