Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade102

3d bridge possible in Boom format?

Question

Hi, i've added a screenshot i'd like to get some help with. as you can see in the screenshot, i've built a 'bridge' using middle sector pieces. I was wondering if in boom this could be made into a 3d bridge without making the whole setup look rather ugly?59c151bfa143b_Hellscape(editarea)at2017_09.2002-48-16.445R2787.jpg.103e192f8cea317f2bca868b4c146c27.jpg

9 answers to this question

You could try putting raised self-referencing sectors between the gaps of the bridge. Non-flying monsters won't be able to traverse it, however.

Hi blastfrog, what does that mean exactly? I'm sorry I should have clarified i'm new to boom mapping. Monsters not traversing it isn't a problem, I just want to make the player be able to walk across.

In Boom you're limited to "faux 3D trickery".

Looking here, or searching these forums for "fake 3D" (with the quotation marks) may help as well.

EDIT: Let me see if I can find something better than that...

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

If you just want it to appear 3d and going under it is of no concern, look no further than action 242 - create fake ceiling/floor. If you want it to be passable from both the top (as a bridge) and the bottom, you'll need line actions for instant lowering/raising of the floor, which are basically "lower to highest" and "raise to lowest" actions in combination with action 242. I'd recommend doubling up lines and having another on the outside to "reset" the bridge to whichever height you prefer to be its default.

In this case no, I dont want to walk under it. its just so it gives the flowing liquid look, so how would I use action 242, FOnze? Do I need a dummy sector, or can I just apply it to the linedefs?

2 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

In this case no, I dont want to walk under it. its just so it gives the flowing liquid look, so how would I use action 242, FOnze? Do I need a dummy sector, or can I just apply it to the linedefs?

you need a dummy sector in this case.

The way this works is that you create a dummy sector to which you apply action 242, which makes the height properties of the target sector look the same as the dummy sector's when really that's not the case at all.

In that case simply tag a linedef in either a dummy sector, or prolly a nearby line will work as well if ceiling/floor heights match, with action 242 and tag that sector the same tag number. Raise the floor to its bridge height and everything will work. You may need to adjust midtex heights depending on unpegged flags.

I got it working, and it looks perfect! Thank you everyone so much, its so much nicer looking than throwing random wooden pillars to run across!