Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

Is Doom more of a Metal game or an Industrial game?

I always saw Doom as a metal game, taking cues from 80s pulp/underground culture, while Quake is definitely an industrial game, taking cues from 90s pulp/underground culture. I really like the progression between them.

Doom always been about metal and glory for me. Dark synthwawe also fits here, because of that creepy atmosphere. 

Assuming we're only talking about the IWADs, the PSX port had the best atmosphere imo so that'll be dark ambient.

@MeetyourUnmaker All your industrial choices were industrial metal, except for Big Black, which is industrial punk, and kudos for including them. One of my all-time fave songs by one of my all-time fave bands. But still, it's all guitar-oriented stuff which is not what early industrial, or dark ambient -- as Eris mentioned -- is all about.

I tend to like dark ambient for slower-paced, creepy-atmosphere maps and metal or punk for fast-paced brutality. Then again, Ribbiks keeps popping pretty tracks into his maps and it works really well. But IMO we need way more dark ambient in Doom.

I believe the term fartstep applies here. Doom is a fartstep kind of game.

1 hour ago, Rayziik said:

Last I checked Doom was a first person shooter...

Doom can't be a first person shooter as the term was invented after Doom and a long line of Doom clones. Perhaps Doom is the originator of the Doom clone.

It depends. The IWADS are obviously 80s and 90s metal. 

PWADs range everything from catchy pop tunes to all kinds of metal.

The core aesthetics of Doom borrow heavily from its creators metal-head interests at the time, and there's a huge amount of charm to that, even if it's never something I've been into myself. It's nice when games reflect the teams behind them.

But, like, I associate The Plutonia Experiment with atmospheric indie pop, so go figure. Doesn't make the game any less metal.

Though I'll also point out that Doom's really silly, and its visuals are largely representational, so you can pair it with whatever you like.

Not that Doom doesn't fit with many music genres, but I will always prefer metal or rock midis playing on the background.

If I look at just the original two games, I'd have to say they're mostly metal influenced with just some industrial rock (which is what OP posted under "Industrial").  If it was more influenced by industrial music proper, or even early electro-industrial, it would be more along the lines of Throbbing Gristle, Skinny Puppy, Coil, Cabaret Voltaire, Nocturnal Emissions, SPK... or if it took more of an EBM approach (one of the earlier subgrenres of industrial to develop), it would have had influence from the likes of Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Front Line Assembly, Leaether Strip, etc.

However, user-made maps are whatever the creator wants them to be.  If they want it to be a brostep waltz, it's a brostep waltz sort of Doom map.  Just like my map Extreme Terror was meant to be more EBM/industrial influenced, musically speaking anyway, while SoTNR was more musically influenced by dark ambient/ambient industrial.

3 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

Doom isn't a meme game but it spawned a meme community ohohoh.

any music in the game is fine.

Even D_RUNNIN?

doom2 has 3 or so "metal" songs (map01/07/23) and the rest is a wacky fusion of jazz/bossa nova/blues, I dunno where people get the impression it's soundtrack is "heavy"