Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

Is Doom more of a Metal game or an Industrial game?

DOOM IS THRASH METAL

Doom II is thrash metal with tango music for some reason.

Doom 3... horror?

Doom 4 is some nice industrial with dubstep-ish crap.

Quake 1 is industrial.

Quake 2 is beyond industrial.

Quake 3 is also industrial.

Q4 (I don't know, no one cares about this game really.)

Personally, I associate it with both, dependent on the map, if we're talking IWADs. i.e. Hangar, Downtown feels more industrial, while hell maps like Icon of Sin feel more metal to me. Modern maps, I've found, tend to lean more toward electronic and synth. 

5 hours ago, Vorpal said:

doom2 has 3 or so "metal" songs (map01/07/23) and the rest is a wacky fusion of jazz/bossa nova/blues, I dunno where people get the impression it's soundtrack is "heavy"

I never thought about it before, but now that you mention it, this particular track does have a sort of bossa-nova, conga-line kind of beat. And yes, it's one of my fave tracks in Doom 2. I will note that I tend to be more into the Doom 1 soundtrack, with Suspense as my absolute fave.

I tend to really like early industrial, mainly a lot of the bands Yukiraven mentioned, especially SPK, because they were the real bastards, unless you went for something like Whitehouse. And then there was Laibach, especially early Laibach, before they became essentially a cover band. I used this track in Realm of Intensified Chaos, Map05, for quite awhile before I swapped it for Agony Rhapsody -- and somehow I think I've already mentioned this somewhere. Anyway, I might bring it back for an MP3 edition, but that map is a long, brutal bastard and the tune has some overpowered percussion, at least for a Doom map that will take 30+ minutes to beat. Wish I could edit some of that out. But the creepiness. I love the creepiness. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1H5eZZt9MU

Doom has ways been industrial metal to me. Most the the design is Hell meets tech.

Though im dreading the, inaccurate, "Dubstep" is gonna be used at some point for Doom 2016 at some point here

I have a hard time seeing Doom as either, really. To me, it's more ambient than anything else. But then, I might be introducing a bias since most of the game's OST is ambient-ish in the first place.