Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mario98x

First map for Doom 1..

Hello, today I managed to make my first map. It's nothing.
I don't have a lot of ideas for maps etc.. but testing the builder I managed to make this map :)

Iwad used: Doom.wad
Map name: E1M4
Tested on: Doom (Zandronum)

Made by me

Opinions are accepted ofc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd21ndl8vamijkf/MPM1.rar?dl=0

S C R E N S H O T

Spoiler

1.png.d76771aa4ff4ad05437eb1c089ed4924.png2.png.b81119cf7f4ca6853369f35b09fa2321.png3.png.d40250baab8e1e3a1b23eccfcf38950a.png4.png.7b5c730e36d56e2210977ed37566d7a3.png5.png.09638045c51b8fb62b33deef44b81ed2.png

IGN said: We never played a videogame but we think this map is heckin koolz

Edited by Mario98x : Added more info and SS

4 minutes ago, Eric the Sandvich said:

It says I need a decryption key?

Done, now it's on my dropbox. Let me know if it doesn't let you download :)

I checked it out, it's not bad actually, considering it's your first map!

Aside from texture alignments and what not I'll give it a 5/10, first map damn it.

Anyway, I agree on the overly dark room. Stuff like that is good to go crazy on with gradient sector lighting. ;)

Next would be to try to make the different areas not as linear. Just a few stairs here and there can totally open up a new dimension, which then allows you to rub your hands together and think, ok, this is going to look cool if I do this. ~ before you know it you'll have those steps on the ceiling and walls too!

Also, maybe try some new things, for example, we have demons from hell, and tons of line triggers, sector effects, lifts, and teleports for you and them to take the player by surprise with.

I think it's a good start!

At least your not making a big box with a bazillion monsters in it just to kill framerate for kicks, lol rofl myshoe.

Cheers

Edited by Mr.Rocket

9 hours ago, Eric the Sandvich said:

Well for one thing when I loaded it up with 'The Ultimate Doom' wad (that's the normal wad I use for doom 1 related maps, it didn't cause problems before hand) the map was the default map, so I went out of my way to download the Doom registered version, still default map, then I went into slade and realized it was Map04.

You should state what map it is before letting people play your wad, everyone will assume the map is the first one.

After that, I hear no music, which is odd, that's mostly for eerie wads. Then I see the walls and floors and ceilings and I think to myself, "Well this is a 3/10 map."

Sorry to say, but it was. Multiple textures are offset, pitch black rooms that make me dependent on the auto-map isn't all that good of a choice for classic doom style maps (not to say it can't be used correctly), monster placement was mediocre, awkward looking doors and an exit that is messy.

For a test it's validable, playable map? No.

Side note: You should use doom2.wad as your IWAD, it's generally everything essential of Doom 1 with added content from Doom 2.

Thanks for the opinion :D 
How do I add music? I'm still learning the triggers and textures..
I'm sorry for not letting you know the name of the map, in future I'll improve my infos :)

Thanks for playing my test map

So, I can use doom2 textures in doom1? are them all fully compatible?

5 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I checked it out, it's not bad actually, considering it's your first map!

Aside from texture alignments and what not I'll give it a 5/10, first map damn it.

Anyway, I agree on the overly dark room. Stuff like that is good to go crazy on with gradient sector lighting. ;)

Next would be to try to make the different areas not as linear. Just a few stairs here and there can totally open up a new dimension, which then allows you to rub your hands together and think, ok, this is going to look cool if I do this. ~ before you know it you'll have those steps on the ceiling and walls too!

Also, maybe try some new things, for example, we have demons from hell, and tons of line triggers, sector effects, lifts, and teleports for you and them to take the player by surprise with.

I think it's a good start!

At least your not making a big box with a bazillion monsters in it just to kill framerate for kicks, lol rofl myshoe.

Cheers

Thanks!

Yeah, I hate those rooms with a large amount of enemies, is not funny at all. It ruins the experience..
Next time I'll add more triggers and new textures

Just now, Eric the Sandvich said:

Sorry, doom 2 wads are not compatible with doom 1 wads, but this is saying that you should from now on use the doom 2 wad from now on as it is generally more content doom 1. 98% of everyone who makes new maps uses them in compatibility with doom 2.

Understood, soon I should get Doom 2 then I'll use its wads :)

18 minutes ago, Eric the Sandvich said:

Wait, wait, I am beyond stupid.

It's not Map04, it's E1M4. Slade told me it was Map04 which is confusing.

By that logic it seems this wad DOES work on doom2.wad, but multiple missing textures.

I created the map as Map04 and then when I finished it I saved the map as MPM1.
I can load the map by typing " Map map04"
Why you use Doom2.wad? 

I had to take a look in your map in Slade. Yeah, your map is for Doom II, not for Ultimate Doom. Anyway, if you want be good mapper, you should study good mapsets in doom/gzdoom builder and play them to get better picture how stuff was created. 

I saved this screenshot as proof.
TLKoh2y.png

Pretty easy

Pretty boring

Pretty flat

Pretty much a lazy map here, it doesn't contain to much effort it seems...

Also bad texture placement 

I'm sorry, this wad doesn't look good at all.

EDIT: Also, if you want to make a map for ultimate doom, make sure that when you start the map, type the name of which map are you gonna replace from yours, for Example: New map> E1M4 > Doom: Doom format (it depends which format are you comfortable with)

if you type "MAP04" on a Ultimate doom wad, it just loads a map that has out of context and the only way to go to it, is by typing the name of the map. Making the map basically unaccesible.

2 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

I had to take a look in your map in Slade. Yeah, your map is for Doom II, not for Ultimate Doom. Anyway, if you want be good mapper, you should study good mapsets in doom/gzdoom builder and play them to get better picture how stuff was created. 

I saved this screenshot as proof.
TLKoh2y.png

How is this possible? In doom builder I setup the builder with Doom like this

Cattura.PNG

Simple. You missed one step in doom builder. It's easy to fix it, just copy all your stuff from one window in another window in builder which has plain doom format and paste your stuff in it. I mean your map linedefs and things you placed. Anyway, I don't see anything bad mapping for Doom 2, considering how easy is to get full set of iwads from steam or gog or digging deep in google. But first option is more cooler way. 

Just now, Myst.Haruko said:

Simple. You missed one step in doom builder. It's easy to fix it, just copy all your stuff from one window in another window in builder which has plain doom format and paste your stuff in it. I mean your map linedefs and things you placed. Anyway, I don't see anything bad mapping for Doom 2, considering how easy is to get full set of iwads from steam or gog or digging deep in google. But first option is more cooler way. 

Sure :D Later I'll fix it :)

Here's another thing you might try:

Get an idea, put it on paper..

It may or may not look exactly as it should in the editor after you draw it out, but that's ok. Usually you'll spend a lot more time in the editor and more ideas come and get added as you go. But drawing it out on paper forces you to take you time and think about how everything will layout.

It's worth that extra hour!

Cheers

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Here's another thing you might try:

Get an idea, put it on paper..

It may or may not look exactly as it should in the editor after you draw it out, but that's ok. Usually you'll spend a lot more time in the editor and more ideas come and get added as you go. But drawing it out on paper forces you to take you time and think about how everything will layout.

It's worth that extra hour!

Cheers

This is gold! thanks!!

Now I'm creating  new level, more cleaned and decorated :D 

The screenshots look nice. Can't play because i'm at work, though. Seeing new people interested in mapping gets me optimistic about the future of the comunity.

I'm a new member myself, but i have some old maps i did back in 2014, maybe it's time to get the dust off of them and post it here. If i remember well there are some crude balancing and alignment i was too lazy to take care off at the time.

5 hours ago, Mikami41 said:

Pretty easy

Pretty boring

Pretty flat

Pretty much a lazy map here, it doesn't contain to much effort it seems...

Also bad texture placement 

I'm sorry, this wad doesn't look good at all.

Its his first map, what do you expect, be more supportive instead of making comments that would discourage him to keep making Doom maps.

1 minute ago, Dutch Doomer said:

Its his first map, what do you expect, be more supportive instead of making comments that would discourage him to keep making Doom maps.

I'm supporting him playing his wad and making a feedback about.

it has nice things like doors working properly but that doesn't mean that the wad is good...

11 hours ago, GhoulDesecrator said:

The screenshots look nice. Can't play because i'm at work, though. Seeing new people interested in mapping gets me optimistic about the future of the comunity.

I'm a new member myself, but i have some old maps i did back in 2014, maybe it's time to get the dust off of them and post it here. If i remember well there are some crude balancing and alignment i was too lazy to take care off at the time.

Thanks, if you post your maps let me know, i'll play them

10 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Not a bad map for a first, you clearly have some ideas brewing! keep at it!

Thanks! 

Feels like the good old days of 1994. I like the 4th screenshot, poor Cacodemon blinkin' away.

Aside of the odd mistake of having to type "map map04" on GZDoom for a Doom 1 map, which is still playable despite no music, the map isn't bad at all, for what there was in a short level there is definitely some ideas such as the lava room that damages you the more time you stay in, in a fully fledged map I can see that working. As mentioned, draw out your ideas on something and get an idea of what you'll have there before you start making the map on an editor, that way you have somewhere to go to and build upon. I should also note about weapon management and resources, kind of odd to have a blue armor near the start when I barely took any damage aside of the lava room. Also the place where you get the Chaingun have more bullets than necessary, especially since all you're going to kill is a Baron in that room. Last thing to note about is the exit, don't have texture errors like that, it can be jarring when you play it yourself. Still, a nice short map that can be expanded on as a bigger map, spending more time can help a lot.

8 minutes ago, mgr_inz_rafal said:

Hello,

Blind UV play recording:

Hi, thanks!
But why you can't see a lot of textures?
I made another map, I think is better than this one :) It's for Ultimate doom. If you want to check it out.. :D