Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CoTeCiO

The full original Doom artwork without the logo

This might seem as clickbait, but I guess I'll go with it anyway. I've been looking for an image of the full original Doom artwork made by Don Ivan Punchatz without the Doom logo on top and without being cropped, similar to the one that is available of the Doom II cover, for quite a while now but my efforts had been fruitless... Until today. I found a picture of the complete artwork, but in pretty bad quality; despite the acceptable resolution (to be honest, not even that), the image itself is somewhat saturated and look quite pixelated. I was wondering if someone here knows of a version of the artwork that looks better, like, "Ultimate Doom Poster" quality.

I attached the image I found for you to take a look. Despite the quality, it's still the first time I get to see the whole artwork and it is quite awesome. By chance I started browsing around Punchatz work and he did some very interesting stuff. Too bad he's gone.

0c8bb97843e6e7353d802338917913b1--sci-fi-art-scifi.jpg

This is the largest and highest quality version of Punchatz's clean artwork we've been able to find:

flat,701x1000,070,f.jpg

Per the previouis thread, this image originates from this seller on Redbubble. Who this mysterious seller is and how he acquired this clean version of the artwork (or if this is even a legally licensed merch, which it probably isn't) is unknown,

There were stars in the sky?! I never knew that! Despite that one is a little bit smaller in resolution compared to the one I uploaded, it looks a million times better! That's awesome! Now I'm very curious about this whole seller thing, from what I've seen, they're actually selling a poster with the artwork. I might get one to see if I can get an even higher resolution version of the artwork, although I'd have to figure out how to do that.

12 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

This is the largest and highest quality version of Punchatz's clean artwork we've been able to find:

flat,701x1000,070,f.jpg

Per the previouis thread, this image originates from this seller on Redbubble. Who this mysterious seller is and how he acquired this clean version of the artwork (or if this is even a legally licensed merch, which it probably isn't) is unknown,

Ah, I wish I could have this poster in my livingroom. So good.

Also, what about Lost Souls sprites? 

I've always wondered what it'd be like to fight those enemies using that gun. Especially the one with the cyber arm.

22 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

flat,701x1000,070,f.jpg

If you're in the US, you can submit this to PosterBurner and they'll print it for you for pretty cheap. I got an Atlas of Worlds which came out perfect, so I framed it and it's in my bedroom taking up a huge portion of the wall. I might do the same for this one :p

The EU version of the Bethesda merch store sells a canvas print very similar to this, with the top of the image clear and just a very small Doom logo at the bottom. That may be where the redbubble guy sourced his image from.

9 hours ago, Gifty said:

The EU version of the Bethesda merch store sells a canvas print very similar to this, with the top of the image clear and just a very small Doom logo at the bottom.

The EU Wallscroll is a very helpful clue, but while both it and the Redbubble seller appear to have used the same raw source image, the Redbubble seller definitely did not source this wallscroll as it's heavily cropped on the sides, even more than the Ultimate Doom poster.

Using that wallscroll image, however, I was able to construct an even higher resolution version of the clean cover artwork. Here's a preview hosted on Imgur:
Uql21eMm.png

Because Imgur tends to compress large files without warning, here's the original lossless PNG (2.3 MB):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4X6_GM5D7D_OVhpZWhHc2hjZ00/view?usp=sharing

The seams are obvious if you know where to look, but this is likely still the best quality available to us.

On 9/21/2017 at 9:25 PM, Anidrex_1009 said:

Also, what about Lost Souls sprites? 

The Lost Soul's front-facing sprites were changed (ignore the captions; original version is on right, changed version on left) in roughly patch version 1.666, seemingly with Doom 2's release. This sprite change coincides with several additional unexplained sprite changes which were all demonstrably errors, hence suggesting the Lost Soul's changes were also unintentional and erroneous.

2 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

The EU Wallscroll is a very helpful clue, but while both it and the Redbubble seller appear to have used the same raw source image, the Redbubble seller definitely did not source this wallscroll as it's heavily cropped on the sides, even more than the Ultimate Doom poster.

Using that wallscroll image, however, I was able to construct an even higher resolution version of the clean cover artwork. Here's a preview hosted on Imgur:
Uql21eMm.png

Because Imgur tends to compress large files without warning, here's the original lossless PNG (2.3 MB):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4X6_GM5D7D_OVhpZWhHc2hjZ00/view?usp=sharing

The seams are obvious if you know where to look, but this is likely still the best quality available to us.

The Lost Soul's front-facing sprites were changed (ignore the captions; original version is on right, changed version on left) in roughly patch version 1.666, seemingly with Doom 2's release. This sprite change coincides with several additional unexplained sprite changes which were all demonstrably errors, hence suggesting the Lost Soul's changes were also unintentional and erroneous.

I thought it was a joke, this is some serious-evil-type-thing. 

12 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Looks like I just got a new background for my phone.

I'm not the only one using it as a background then :D