Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Pyrrhic - 11 deathmatch maps. Feedback wanted.

Recently played some deathmatch for the first time in a long time. I had a couple maps I had worked on and tested back in my ZDaemon days. Decided to pick it back up and run with it. Now that it's at 11 maps I'm releasing a beta. I may have a few more maps up my sleeve but I need to take a break from mapping for a bit. It's intended for 1 on 1 but you can use it how you see fit. You can jam 8 people in it but some maps will be a little cramped and BFG spammed. Hardest difficulty includes BFG while the others remove it with some tweaks to weapon placement.

Download:

Spoiler

8d8b4f7b-461f-4f92-9b2e-6be57cdba732.png230e32ee-6364-4534-aee7-98dffe4de0de.png1647ee44-da9d-4823-aef9-d7fe11dd7a06.pngc2f2a3db-7d22-48ef-85a1-fcba264802e5.pngcf418d6b-02d4-48d7-bc44-070b8f22d3e9.png

Latest version has 15 maps.

Currently hosted on:

Zandronum - [NJ] FUNCRUSHER || Pyrrhic Duel [50.116.50.115:10689]

ZDaemon - [Doomshack.org] pyrrhic duel testing [45.33.41.203:10705]

pyrrhic_.zip

Edited by hobomaster22

Good to see you back in the saddle, hobo.  I'll see if I can get some duel servers up for these sometime today on Zandronum.

EDIT: [NJ] FUNCRUSHER || Pyrrhic Duel is currently running at 50.116.50.115:10689

Server is running final version

Edited by AlexMax

21 minutes ago, AlexMax said:

Good to see you back in the saddle, hobo.  I'll see if I can get some duel servers up for these sometime today on Zandronum.

Sounds great. I have some time to play tonight. I'll jump in and have my butt handed to me on my own maps!

oh man do these ever scream "old school" to me. I looked them over with typical OS duel flags.

Many of the maps feature doors that don't close once you open them. I'm wondering really what's the point in having these doors, seems like more of a nuisance than anything. I feel like some of them would perform better as 4 person ffa dm maps, which is fine, but overall this is a very solid pack already. Axe any pistol spawns though, just get the weapons on the spawn

Map02: This SSG spawn will over power all the surrounding ones. try adjusting the placement, either by switching the sg and ssg or axing the ssg spawn entirely and leaving the ssg.

I know why the ledge is like that but it would be nice to extend that footstep out a little bit towards the middle of the screenshot, and perhaps maybe it a bit more obvious via different flat/texture combo

map03: not convinced of that super cramped little green armour hallway. just axe it. https://i.imgur.com/CLVf2MH.png

Get rid of these torches

map08 has a couple poor spawn orientations that faces me against the wall when really i should be looking into the main point of traffic. Maybe you should review the orientations in all the maps.

https://i.imgur.com/HMZkzKN.png

It also has a node builder bleed https://i.imgur.com/0f0Tm5Z.png

The green button switch isn't immediately obvious what it does, not great for DM. Upon inspection it lowers a wall that should already BE lowered though. This is probably the weakest map by virtue of boring SSG spawns and a bit of a sprawling layout for 1v1

map09 has a little button gimmick in front of the plasma, which is cool, but realistically why bother. By standing on the edge of this sector, I don't take damage at the bfg. https://i.imgur.com/9pxv7d2.png

map10: 4 stimpacks by the bfg? why bother, just make it 1 medikit, or maybe 2. This courtyard here seems pretty pointless, tbh. https://i.imgur.com/17hM7KC.png

https://i.imgur.com/mPIQdyS.png

Make those little indent impassable so players don't get hooked on the corners please

map11 only has 4 spawns? you could probably add one here: https://i.imgur.com/fDWWPIl.png

might be a little boring with all ssg spawns though.

Overall first impressions tell me I like it so far, time to try it out proper.

Decay, thank you for taking the time to go over the maps. Took everything into consideration and I have already implemented most of your suggestions into the maps and have updated the link. Not sure what was going on in MAP11 there was 5 spawns but the SSG you pointed was supposed to be a spawn so now it has 6. Will see how it plays out later.

Since AlexMax has one up on Zand already I'll host a ZD server on Doomshack once I get to my computer. Looks excellent just at a glance, gives off the vibe of a high quality early 00s pack for sure.

MAP07 has a lot of instances of bars that bleed through the top or bottom of windows.

Also, I had a dumb idea for moving the switch that lowers the BFG door on MAP04, to make it more obvious.

9 hours ago, AlexMax said:

MAP07 has a lot of instances of bars that bleed through the top or bottom of windows.

Also, I had a dumb idea for moving the switch that lowers the BFG door on MAP04, to make it more obvious.

I fixed the bleeding bars. Somehow I had Zandronum setup with the renderer that hides that issue.

Your idea for MAP04 is good so I added it with all the other changes I wanted to make. MAP04 probably has the most changes because of flow issues. I implemented all the changes that Decay and I found while playing and observing others. The server was really helpful especially when watching others play. Someone joined as 'player' who obviously studied the maps. One trick on MAP09 where you can open the BFG door before teleporting was executed right away. I've updated the link with all the fixes. I'm going to be out of town so I won't be able to study anyone playing for a while.

A couple things I'm considering:

MAP08: Removing the BFG lift and replacing with stairs. I think this lift was way harder than I anticipated and awkward.

MAP09: Again, maybe the BFG is too hard. I'm considering removing the first lift to the teleporter entirely and maybe the second lift hiding the BFG along with the poison damage entirely. Not as sure on this one but I think it might flow better.

OK so revision b has the most changes.

MAP01: Moved SG spawn because it was a death sentence. Removed poison because it was awkward.

MAP02: Removed some annoying decorative items.

MAP03: A ton of structural changes and lowered height to make it more playable.

MAP04: Stretched it out because it was cramped.

MAP08: Changed BFG lift to stairs. Opened up stairs to plasma.

MAP09: Teleport lift is now fast and also lowers lift to leave BFG platform.

MAP11: Stretched it out because it was way too cramped, lowered height, and added a teleporter because it felt right.

Okay, I've actually got some playtime on some of the maps and I've got a few more comments - please note that these are not from an experienced dueler, more of an amateur, so take with a grain of salt.

MAP01 -  Some of the helper items like rockets could stand to be a little more out of the way, so they're not gobbled up carelessly.

MAP04 - The SG spawn near X: -592 Y: 469 is damn near suicidal - not to mention it's right next to two other disadvantageous spawns.  I think you should get rid of it and maybe add another spawn elsewhere.  Also, is it me, or is there only one SSG?  I think the SG near X: 863 Y: 522 could be replaced with an SSG instead - seems kind of pointless to have a SG there when there's an SG spawn right next to it.  Also, I think that maybe my dumb switch idea was a little dumber than I had anticipated - it's incredibly hard to accurately hit that green button unless you're careful.

MAP10 - I really like the way this map is laid out for a duel.  Seriously, it's great, it reminds me of Aerowalk in a way.  However, this is just my personal thing, but I am incredibly prejudiced against SSG spawn slugfests.  If there was some way to make this a 2-3 SSG map, it'd be perfect in my book.  You'd have to be incredibly careful about it though, to make sure no spawn is too awful - and who knows, maybe you want a SSG slugfest, which is okay I suppose.  Also, I agree with Decay - the grassy courtyard area is awkward, perhaps lower the height of those metal railing/barriers by 16 so you can walk over them one way?

Edited by AlexMax : Clarify MAP10 comments

Hey Hobo, just wanted to check if you're planning an releasing another build of this or if the current link is finalized?

Updated to the latest revision, now with 15 maps. This most likely going to be the last revision, barring some few minor tweaks that may come out of the final round of testing.

The final version of Pyrrhic has been uploaded. Consists mostly of texture alignment fixes. There are some spawn placement tweaks for the last map and a change for BFG access in map10.

Congrats on being a FINISHER.

Anyone who hasn't tried this pack yet really should! Its great, probably the best set of OS maps made in a long time.