Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rehelekretep

Do you turn off 'change palette on pain'?

Do you turn off 'change palette on pain'?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. On or off?

• no i leave it on
    • turn it off!

playing Stardate 20x7 and ive been absolutely spanked in some of the maps; vision turning so red i cant see a thing which gets quite annoying. i wondered if the majority have it turned on or off.

That option exists???

New horizon revealed, thanks a bunch. I've always been too lazy to make a WAD with a PLAYPAL that changes all reds to the normal palette, heh.

4 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

That option exists???

New horizon revealed, thanks a bunch. I've always been too lazy to make a WAD with a PLAYPAL that changes all reds to the normal palette, heh.

I wasn't aware of this either!!!!1

For those not using a port with an option to turn it off, but want this feature and don't want to make their own, Mark Klem made a modified PLAYPAL/COLORMAP that you can grab from this wad, for instance.

Since you ask, no, personally I don't use this feature, and would consider it a mild cheat. It is also against compet-n rules.

While I find it occasionally annoying it's also a pretty essential bit of feedback in my opinion. 

I have it on since it provides essential feedback while taking small amounts of damage. Eating a Cyber rocket and having your screen go full-red is very annoying though. Nothing like being blinded in a situation where you need visual clarity the most to survive.

I've always had the pain/item screen-flashes at around an 0.5 mark. Generally where you can see the flashes, but they aren't eye-stabbingly bright. Bonus points that it lets you still see through the red when you just ate a rocket.

Is it compatible with demo recording or would it cause desyncs? Also, what would you load it before or after a PWAD in, say, PRBoom+?

I leave it on because that's the way the game was designed. If I played more heavy slaughtermaps or something where I was likely to take constant hits and that was clearly outside the parameters of the vanilla engine anyway, I'd consider turning it off for playability though.

56 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Is it compatible with demo recording or would it cause desyncs? Also, what would you load it before or after a PWAD in, say, PRBoom+?

Doesn't effect sync at all, thankfully. I would load it after in case the wad has it's own PLAYPAL which is the lump this modifies

One option of InkWorks (an ancient but usable palette/colormap modifying utility) is to modify the PLAYPAL in such a way that instead of tinting the screen, being hurt just shifts the palette into a gradient from white to black with red in the middle. It's still very noticeable but much less disorienting. I would like something like that with a modern port.

I prefer to be guaranteed to notice taking damage, so it's good that the whole screen is affected. The view-obscuring tint certainly stays for too long, but it's tolerable, probably because I'm already used to it.

20 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I use this in vanilla/prboom/etc - https://doomshack.org/wads/bloodfix.wad

Doesn't work in ZDoom based ports sadly, but it makes the blood translucent, so you still see red but it doesn't impair your ability to distinguish things. I really like it.

Uh oh. I named my blood mod the same exact file name. Mine changes blood of some monsters to match their death sprites like the Hell Knight and Cacodemon.

18 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Doesn't effect sync at all, thankfully. I would load it after in case the wad has it's own PLAYPAL which is the lump this modifies

I assume this only works with wads using the default colour palette? I tried loading it with Stardate 20x7 and all the purple turned to blue.

When I turn it off, I can't tell how hard I was hit or if I'm low on health or not unless I check my health or mugshot.

When I turn it on, I hate it when the screen turns completely red, blocking my view. At least you can still see something with the Archvile flames, but not this block red.

@Nevander a mod that only changed the demon's blood to be the right color didn't already exist? I'm baffled but if so, thanks for making it. This bloodfix.wad has been around for 5+ years and has been hosted on servers a lot so quite a few people likely already have it, maybe add an underscore or number?

@Spectre01 that's correct, every color is edited so it only works (well) with wads that don't change the PLAYPAL, at least not much. Would be great if there was a way to port this effect over to zdoom without the need for a whole new PLAYPAL lump, I really prefer the translucent blood to the opaque blood.

Edited by Doomkid

I turn it off. Having the screen go red makes it more likely to catch a second hit, so better no red. 

https://doomshack.org/wads/see_easy.wad

This one not only makes the blood translucent but makes the invuln-sphere effect significantly less blinding! I can't take credit for this though, it's ripped from dbz Doom, but I figure it's good enough to warrant being it's own thing. I did this after watching one of rdwpa's vids with nuts.wad, it surprised me too see that it implements a similar effect.

Makes things much easier on the ol' sightballs!

14 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

i did think that after checking yesterday :D

Somehow I noticed only now that there is a poll too.