Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

How many guns is to many?

It personally drives me nuts when I have to press the same key six times just to get to the weapon I want. Mods like complex Doom Legacy Addon and Project Brutality that have excessive amounts of gimmicky weapons, I just bind the drop weapon key and throw away the crap I don't want. 8-9 weapons is good, any more and it just becomes too much of a mess to deal with.

Last year I played through the first couple of episodes of Duke Nukem World Tour edition ... well, after one point I didn't care too much, I just wanted a weapon with ammo, so I was pressing random keys like 7, 8, 9 etc.

So many redundant weapons ... so many different kinds of ammo, I literally had no idea which sprite corresponded to which ammo type. Booooooo!

15 hours ago, Memfis said:

I think even 100 weapons can be fine if the player is allowed to hold only 5 at the same time, for example. Like in Contra you lose your old weapons as you get new ones.

To talk more about potential mods of mine that never went anywhere, one of them was a gameplay mod with a ridiculous amount of weapons. But the deal is, you can't "store" weapons, you can only hold two, via dual wielding 'em. Subsequently, weapons were one-offs with a single clip, but also a helluva lot more plentiful ( since you can't reload 'em, you'd find them in the place of ammo ) and you tossed them as projectiles that could deal damage. Because of that, the weapon variety would be more for some flavor and slight randomization, to really bring up the feeling that you're burning through a ton of weapons and replacing 'em as you go.

I wonder how much easier it'd be to do to now that ZScript's around ...

I use the keys around my movement keys to select weapons. Having more weapons than keys makes the weapon awkward to select. Doom has about the perfect number of guns.

On 9/23/2017 at 7:09 PM, cyan0s1s said:

My personal gameplay mod respects the double tap as @Arctangent said, providing a secondary option for the pistol (rifle), chaingun (minigun), rocket launcher (grenade launcher), plasma rifle (railgun), and BFG9000 (BFG10k). Although I did include another melee option on 1 (super chainsaw) and a special 'super weapon' on 8 (called the unmaker in name only), for a total of 15 weapons options tops with fist excluded. I think that's fair amount then.

Which rifle do you use? 

Also, why use the regular chainsaw if you have a super chainsaw? Do they utilize fuel now?

The original alpha rifle that id made, it's the Zombieman's weapon of choice and he drops it upon death like a Shotgun Guy would drop his weapon. It does 1-10 damage as opposed to 1-5 for bullets in both player and enemy's hands. Slower firing than the pistol, but it is perfectly accurate, making chaingun tapping redundant and actually wasteful.

Super Chainsaw is the magnet saw from R667. Extremely fast and doesn't suffer from the 'lock on' effect like the normal chainsaw, allowing increased mobility, but it has a 'heat ammo' that gets used up to 100% and then has to re-power down to 0% after holding down for too long, of which you cannot switch weapons while it is doing so, leaving you vulnerable for a moment and forcing you to use the weapon strategically. It can be used in a pinch against stronger monsters however, even just barely being able to kill an Archvile IIRC before it overheats.