Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
42PercentHealth

Twitch or YouTube Gaming?

Hey folks,

I'm thinking about doing some occasional live-streaming in addition to my youtube uploads, but I'm not sure which live-streaming service is better. FWIW, I don't monetize or anything -- I just do it for fun.

Since everybody around here seems to use twitch, I think I know what your answer to the title question will be. So allow me to add a "... and why?" to it.

Thanks!

Don't think I've ever watched a youtube livestream actually. What makes you want to use youtube over twitch for streaming?

I'm used to the YouTube interface already, and I don't know what it would take to set up streaming on Twitch. That's about all really -- I wouldn't say I want to use YouTube over Twitch, just exploring my options.

AFAIK IcarusLives manages to Stream on both at once, though i dunno if he uses OBS Studio or some other software, i dunno if he have an account here but it's worth asking him how to do it if you want stream on both at once.

EDIT: I may be wrong because i never tried, but recently Youtube allows you to put the stream key there so if you pick the Twich's stream key and put it on Youtube as well it may work for streaming both.

5 minutes ago, Zanieon said:

AFAIK IcarusLives manages to Stream on both at once, though i dunno if he uses OBS Studio or some other software, i dunno if he have an account here but it's worth asking him how to do it if you want stream on both at once.

EDIT: I may be wrong because i never tried, but recently Youtube allows you to put the stream key there so if you pick the Twich's stream key and put it on Youtube as well it may work for streaming both.

Icarus doesn't do that anymore, he prioritizes Twitch now. And I think that he uses OBS....

11 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Icarus doesn't do that anymore, he prioritizes Twitch now. And I think that he uses OBS....

Well it's been a while i don't watch his streams on live now, only some of the recordings.

11 minutes ago, EmotionalFelineinaMadstate said:

I think i've heard of that being done with restream.io or something.

Never heard of that site before, and i thought that every site that uses .io domain is always that browser games like agar.io or slither.io, lol.

Well, I really like time, so I usually dont watch lots of streaming, barely. But theres this guy who streams Doom sometimes, Vargskelethor Full Joel Stream, he is really funny and loves to play classic or old games, like Doom. Theres at least one or two videos of him playing Doom for 6 hours straight. But its actually just his streams but uploaded to youtube, so yes, I kinda like more Youtube because I can return or just skip some time, but streams are fun because is Live so you actually feel some tension. 

Twitch is just a little too complicated for me because it's difficult to setup streaming programs and sync the programs with your connection speed without knowing how well it is working on other peoples ends.

If you are streaming to get a small community going, Youtube's chat and comments are always the most idiotic toxic shit you will ever see. Twitch might still not be the size of Youtube, but you generally end up with much better viewers.

Joel said he would do another mapping contest this year but something tells me he isn't particularly fond of the idea after watching the streams for the last one :D

In my opinion, going to YouTube for streams is like going to Vimeo for normal video viewing. YouTube may be cunting around for a while now but they are still the best video site. That means Twitch would be the best for streams.

2 minutes ago, Nevander said:

YouTube may be cunting around for a while now

How does one "cunt around" exactly?

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

How does one "cunt around" exactly?

Well the ridiculous new layout for one, which is slower and adds unnecessary animations to elements that should stay static. YouTube won't leave their layout alone and they insist on constantly changing things that constantly disrupt my video viewing experience. It also loves to downgrade my video quality when I try to seek videos like it thinks my connection is too slow for 480p it has to go to 360p.

Uhh... You answered everything except for my question, but whatever. Suppose it was rhetorical anyway.

I'm not on Twitch a whole lot, but YouTube is getting progressively more garbage these days. I can't help but think "why isn't this guy on Twitch?" whenever I see someone stream a game on YouTube.

Only Twitch I've ever seen was a developer's development hell of a game that's been in the works like 11 - 12 years now. They have fascinating stories like how they had a $250,000 in grant money from the Canadian government and how the lawyer got half of it. The lawyer warned them do not sign with that distributor... you don't even have a product yet. Yeah... but they need to lock in that price. 10 years later, no product, no need to get a product to stores. Heck the distributor might not even exist anymore. Seems like 2 people out of a team of 4 do any work. 1 guy is the money man, 1 guy works the website, 1 programmer, 1 modeler / animator.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Uhh... You answered everything except for my question, but whatever. Suppose it was rhetorical anyway.

Maybe it's a form of masturbation where you slide on the floor like a dog, except on your cunt?

I dunno, though, that sounds like it'd take a gymnast to do and could easily lead to injury and infection.

I'd say turning the layout into a bloated mess that takes a jillion years to load while not providing the users with anything new in the way of features or options is a prime example of cunting around. We clearly have some chillums here who need to consult their dictionaries!

Personally I would just stream via twitch then upload the video to YouTube once I finished, though if streaming through both is an option that might get you the highest number of people tuning in.

Cunting around is a term used a lot in England, it generally means messing around, taking the piss, fucking about...

It's a harsh way of saying it.

Twitch has a solid little DOOM community going, great emotes, decent platform and just the fact I've never personally gone to Youtube to watch streams.

I don't use emotes much myself, so I don't miss them on YT streams. But the fact that there's a strong Doom community on Twitch is enough for me... I'll probably give Twitch a try, and go back to YT if I don't like it for whatever reason.

Thanks all!