Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

What was your first PC game?

1 hour ago, Seeker_of_Truth said:

The first PC game I ever played was mostly likely Doom, although I can't be sure. It could also have been Civilization II, or The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, but I think it's Doom simply because it was released a little earlier. As far as first game bought... fuck if I know. Could be The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-earth Anthology, but I can't be certain of that.

Daggerfall it's one of the most immersive RPGs I've ever witnessed. 

DF-Coven_Witch.gif

In the 80's, my grandparents were the only ones with a PC that ran DOS, and they had a subscription to the "Big Blue Disk" (interesting sidenote: id software had its origins there). Me and my cousins, all age 5-8, were definitely not allowed to be messing around on it, but eventually we managed to install and fire up this:

5 hours ago, VirtualOwl13 said:

This game was my jam as a kid. My dad had handed me and my brother his laptop to let us play against each other in this game. Quick challenge: Name at least one race from this game that isn't the Ur-Quan or Earthling.

ayy.jpg

Meeting Arilou ships in combat was always resulted in the keyboard being thrown at the wall

The OG Shareware version of DOOM 1, featuring countless weeks of me replaying random levels. Soon we got DOOM II and I wasted even more time on that than I did the original game. This was all when I was 5 or 6.

16 minutes ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

The OG Shareware version of DOOM 1, featuring countless weeks of me replaying random levels. Soon we got DOOM II and I wasted even more time on that than I did the original game. This was all when I was 5 or 6.

Man, I wish I could have been there to feel the golden age of video games, the birth of Doom for example.

20 hours ago, DoomguyB said:

I think it might have been Hugo's House of Horrors.

Hugo.jpg

OH MY FUCKING GOD.

I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS GAME FOR YEARS. AND YOU FINALLY FOUND IT. I can't tell you how excited I am.

My first PC game I ever played was Chip's Challenge. It was a puzzle game released on Windows 95. I believe it came bundled with certain versions of the OS. I remember visiting my uncle as a kid and spending all weekend in his basement playing that game, as well as some of the others. My neighbor had SkiFree, Rattler Race, and everything else in the WEP that we played for hours on end. 

When our family got our first PC, my father's friend came over to help us set it up and installed Ultimate Doom which ran off of DOS. I believe it was just the shareware version at the time, but I remember a few years later where I got the Doom Collector's Edition that came with Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom (with Doom95 Source Port I believe). 

9 hours ago, CARRiON said:

YOU NEED A BIGGER TREASURE ROOM, TO STORE GOOOOWLD.

I much preferred the first Dungeon Keeper. To many things in DK2 are nerfed.

Is Dungeon Keeper still worth playing this day and age? I got it off Origin for free months ago but I haven't yet felt like trying it.

15 minutes ago, DoomguyB said:

Glad to hear it! I couldn't remember what it was called for the longest time either, but yeah that's definitely one from back in the day. The third game "Jungle of Doom" had me scratching my head for the longest time, just trying to get out of the Witch Doctor's cage was apparently the hardest thing in the entire world to me back then.

https://classicreload.com/hugos-house-horrors.html just realized i could play it in my browser too! runs like ass but i'm so glad i found this

4 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Is Dungeon Keeper still worth playing this day and age? I got it off Origin for free months ago but I haven't yet felt like trying it.

Yes, definitely. At least the singleplayer portion. A couple of years ago I tried to play Dungeon Keeper online with a friend, but it kept dropping constantly (even though hosting other online games worked just fine). I'm not sure what the deal with that is, but who knows. The singleplayer is still worth your time though, if only because of the great sense of humour.

First one I played was Doom (we got our PC just for it) unless you're counting colecovision, in which case it was Venture. First one I bought was the shareware version of Cosmos Cosmic Adventure for 25 cents, and the first full PC game I bought was Dink Smallwood, that came with a patch floppy (otherwise the game was unbeatable) and a message from the creators mom that said, "Enjoy the game! -Seth's mom"

I hope this information has helped you in some way.

I went to the local Walmart in my really small home town to buy Duke Nukem 3D. I was probably around 6 at the time.

They didn't have it, but what they did have was Shadow Warrior and Outlaws.

I was more into westerns at the time than samurais, and so I went with Outlaws, although I really wanted Duke 3D.

Wasn't a bad decision in the least, I was always going to eventually get Duke 3D, but I might never have experienced Outlaws.

23 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Daggerfall it's one of the most immersive RPGs I've ever witnessed. 

DF-Coven_Witch.gif

I agree. There's a lot that you can actually do in Daggerfall. It's one of my favorite games I like to go back to once or twice a year.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

DUKE-0.png

Haha, me and my S/O recently went through this together and for the most part it's pretty solid, minus a chunk of episode 2 and most of episode 3.

10 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Sure, I mean, not many games are like it, so if you need a dungeon sim fix your options are pretty much limited to DK1, 2 and War for the Overworld.

I highly recommend War for the Overworld btw. It really is the closest thing we'll ever get to DK3 that isn't just all talk. They even got Richard Ridings to do the mentor voice.

Postal, the original top down mass shooting in public places simulator, it was very "edgy" for it's time, and holy shit I played a lot of it, and damn if it wasn't a pretty lame repetitive game.

I played Postal at 12 and couldn't wrap my head around it. Cue the phenomena around the more established Postal 2 and the amusement I derived from it throughout 2009-2010 I had nearly forgotten all about the original. Then I go back to it at 22 and am rather shocked at how different the tone is and how surreal and eerie the art style was. Disturbing screams and moans of pain, demented journal writings and unapologetic, non-sugar coated and realistic depictions of gun violence. The strangely methodical and somewhat strategic gameplay as well as the unusual anti-hero who may or may not be crazy, swept into a world of seemingly madness polluted death dealing. I'm pretty fond of it now actually and thought the Redux was alright, if more cartoon-y than the first. I'm aspiring to write a mostly faithful if rather loosely based fiction on the first game and extend the universe.