Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Aaron "DemonSphere" Emge has passed

I can i say i'm am with the ones who never met him before because not playing too much competitive, but this guy now will be missed in the future WDL Tourneys sadly.

My condolences, never easy to deal with these happenings, but i'm sure he'll be missed. May he rip and tear in a better place.

24 minutes ago, Fairlycrazy23 said:

This is Aaron's dad, I don't have much to say right now, but wanted to let you all know that I am aware of the online gaming community and know how much it meant to him.

I don't have any answers now, and may never have any. 

But all of your kind words mean a lot to me.

Thank you

Paul

Thanks for reaching out, here. This community has had our share of cherished losses, and there's always a special pain for us of "I wonder if their family knows how many lives this person touched". Also, there are other sites beyond this one dedicated to the multiplayer/competitive scene that he was a part of, that are also remembering him.

It was great seeing him become a good Quake Live dueler in the short two years we knew each other.  It was surprising to see him pick up a game so fast and make me earn my wins despite having 10 years up in experience on him.  Going to miss being in Discord until 5am, drinking beers, rambling about who knows what a little too loud.  

You were good shit, my dude.

39 minutes ago, Ru5tK1ng said:

That's pretty disrespectful man. If you don't care you should probably fuck off and not even post.

Being in a community such as Doomworld means treating your fellow Doomers as friends or even a second family. 

I've been on this place for nearly thirteen years. I haven't spoken to anyone IRL (voice/video) with maybe one exception a long time ago. Yet this place with all of it's maps and offerings and people - it's like a secondary home I can go to. THAT is what a community is - and THAT is why we care about each other regardless of who we know or do not know in person.

In addition, by actively playing Deathmatch DOOM, he has helped keep the spirit of retro Doom alive.

Well shit.. Never had to post in a thread like this before :( RIP DS, you will be sorely missed. Appreciate the donation page being set up Ralphis, sent what i could. Hopefully hes up there already fragging noobs and sampling some of heavens top quality beers.

8 hours ago, Ru5tK1ng said:

That's pretty disrespectful man.

I shouldn't post that. To Prevent further shitstorm, I'd take my word back.

18 hours ago, R1ck said:

respecting the dead is courtesy. RIP man.

The only interaction I ever had with this guy was a single duel on ZDaemon about a month ago (he absolutely blasted my ass), I didnt even know how respected he was in the community. He seemed like a chill guy though, it's a shame that he died. RIP

I first met Demonsphere 2 years ago on the #dmstuff irc channel when I had just started dm'ing. He was always a kind, skilled person in my eyes who was as gracious in victory as in defeat (which I rarely saw) and he never shied away from giving me a nice asswhooping on demand, heh. Rest in peace sir, you were one of my favorite people to dm with/against. May we meet again some day.

I'd like to get a person page for him on the wiki, but to do that with the time restrictions I have I'd need help from somebody who's familiar with all his accomplishments and standings, and has links to any lasting records of his stuff (demos, videos, etc). Please let me know if you can help.

The first time I heard of DemonSphere was when I was watching quakecon 2013 (primarily for the quake live tournament), where they also had a doom deathmatch tournament for the 20th anniversary of doom. Jehar and Zoot were casting a very entertanining duel for a place in the final between DS and Devastation, found here for those who haven't watched it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Sb1MOScDQ

I've never been into doom multiplayer myself, but I would sometimes watch his MP streams, as well as his few speedrun attempts of doom 1 episode 2 nightmare speed on his twitch channel twitch.tv/demonsphere (where you can find several videos for classic doom and his completion of ultra nightmare for the new doom).

It's been about 2 months since he played some stardate 20X7 and did some speedrunning, and since twitch deletes the vods after 2 months if they aren't highlighted I figured I'd download them and upload them under a hidden playlist for anyone interested, link here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTmV4zpWzC8nMTK4gAWwL81EMvrR9dsD5 , almost 3 hours of him playing Stardate 20X7, as well as 3x90 minutes of doom 1 episode 2 nightmare speed attempts. I also uploaded the fastest demo that he recorded for doom ep2 nightmare.

Rest in peace, DemonSphere.

I know I wasn't as close to him as a lot of people were. But I still can't believe we have to face a Doom without him. A driving force in a competitive community that we couldn't have even imagined without him.

Enjoyed the fun matches I had over the years with demonsphere in quake and doom, I got rocked in nearly every match but who cares when you're chatting it up and having a good time with an awesome individual like DS. My favorite memory concerning DS was convincing him to continue his ultra-nightmare doom 4 run late into the evening after we both had admittedly consumed a few drinks. Demon pulls up his run a in the advanced research complex before you get the BFG. Poor demon botches the grab and falls into the pit after over correcting his landing. We laughed and joked about the situation for another hour until demonsphere mentioned that UNM runs would be strictly a sober affair from now on. Demon persevered and got his UNM completion a few days later.

RIP Demonsphere, you will be dearly missed.

This is a really cool gesture from id. I feel a bit less cynical about the world for a change.

Hey guys, thank you so much for all of your words. I'll be attending the service for Aaron on Saturday. If you'd like any kind of sentiment conveyed to the family and close loved ones, please PM me or email me at L.kadie@outlook.com I'll be putting them on little 4x6 cards and taking them to the memorial service with me on Saturday. This can be anything, a note to Aaron himself or to his parents, family, etc. I'd love to be able to take a pretty decent stack of cards to his parents when I see them this weekend, so just send them to me and I'll get them all written down before then. ❤️

He was a regular part of our annual Quakecon crew, and it was always super fun having him around. I'll remember some of our crazy antics forever. He was a really upstanding dude, and a real joy to be around. It's definitely going to be tough not seeing him again next year.

RIP, buddy.

Very sad news indeed...I didn't have the pleasure of knowing him personally, but his reputation as an excellent player and a nice guy was evident. I'm sure we would have spent hours discussing the game if the timelines of activity matched up. Condolences to his family and everyone who knew him.

20 hours ago, TexasTornado said:

Hey guys, thank you so much for all of your words. I'll be attending the service for Aaron on Saturday. If you'd like any kind of sentiment conveyed to the family and close loved ones, please PM me or email me at L.kadie@outlook.com I'll be putting them on little 4x6 cards and taking them to the memorial service with me on Saturday. This can be anything, a note to Aaron himself or to his parents, family, etc. I'd love to be able to take a pretty decent stack of cards to his parents when I see them this weekend, so just send them to me and I'll get them all written down before then. ❤️

I think it could be nice to bring up the tweet ID made at the service. The DOOM series is a very well-known series that has a humongous impact on the gaming industry in general; being recognized by the folks who made it all happen is an honor in of itself.

We also have a wiki on DOOM which has a memorial page that honors those we've lost. Quasar mentioned putting a page for Aaron on there. To be on the page usually requires one to be well-known throughout the community.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Category:Memorial

Edited by Pure Hellspawn : fixed link as it was pointing to wrong wiki - thanks marcaek