Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

POWERGUN.WAD (Now with SuperPowerGuns.wad!)

What port did you use? This should work fine in ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum and ZDaemon (doesn't work with PrBoom or Odamex sadly)

It's the railgun - You have an excellent point though, a PrBoom compat variant is definitely going to be needed!

Ok never mind I had to change the load order in GZDoom. At first I thought I was getting pranked ComfyDoom style cause everything felt slower, not faster! Now that I've got it working I'll give it another try.

I'm 99% sure you could do a fake railgun in deh by firing like 20 bullets in the same spot. The remaining 1% is because I remember it being confusing to get the multiple bullets on the same spot thing to work.

This is me thinking aloud, not a feature request or anything :0)

2 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

I'm 99% sure you could do a fake railgun in deh by firing like 20 bullets in the same spot.

Doesn't a railgun require the shot to keep traveling through a target though? A cyberdemon will easily stop 20 bullets.

I don't know anything about dehacked, but I think what we want is a beefed-up sapphire wand from Hexen -- is that not possible in deh?

Yeah, it wouldn't have the pass-through effect, it would just be a high damage hitscan with pinpoint accuracy. And I don't think you can do pass-through damage in dehacked.

You could make it hundreds of bullets if you really wanna kill a cyber in one shot.

Also, this method would sometimes appear to deal pass-through damage, because when a given enemy is dead subsequent bullets will travel through it, even though they're all firing in the same instant from the player's point of view.

Sorry to derail Doomkid's thread with dehacked yakking.

I welcome it, more ideas is always a good thing. It's a shame only having a version for the ZDoom family

I think I did try this with PrBoom once and for the most part it seemed to work fine aside from the railgun. It really is a nice alternative to playing some WADs that might feel a bit grindy in sections - I've certainly enjoyed playing on the Alien Vendetta server hosted with powergun.wad with a number of other people on occasion, and found myself playing from map 16 all the way to the end and finishing it at 2 AM. It's pretty addictive, to say the least - I'd love to see something like this find its way into an actual WAD maybe with some custom monsters and textures.

Also, I was curious about the pistol replacement; does that machine gun graphic come from anywhere? It looks kinda familiar but I've no idea if I've seen it anywhere else.

Edited by valkiriforce

The BFG reminds me of a souped-up version of either the firebomb or the flamewall (I can't remember which one exactly, it's been a while) from the original Rise of the Triad. That's what I thought of the first time I watched the video. Rather, a souped-up firebomb/flamewall combined with Archvile fire.

this seems way more fair, the only time i dont feel guilty with extremely op weapons is on a pwad like chillax since enemy cpunt on some maps is over 5k

13 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Also, I was curious about the pistol replacement; does that machine gun graphic come from anywhere? It looks kinda familiar but I've no idea if I've seen it anywhere else.

The graphic is ripped from Alpha Doom 0.5, pretty much completely unedited other than the flame sprite itself

So DK, is there really supposed to be no sound made when using the gauntlets?

I like the flaming enemies of the BFG but think the graphic for the fireball is cheesy (pixelated).

Can you do the plasma in purple? Green is already used by arachnotrons.

Do you have plans for the gun items graphics before you pick a weapon up?

I actually would have preferred a sound for the gauntlets - It can be achieved using the "saw" codepointer rather than the "punch" codepointer, but the two big drawbacks are that berserk won't power it up if it uses the "saw" action and also that ZDaemon doesn't react well to a fast weapon using the "saw" codepointer (kicks players from servers with the message "speed hack detected" unfortunately)

I agree that the fireball graphic needs to be done better, will definitely work on that for the next version.

Good call on using purple plasma instead, no need for Arachno-confusion.

I had planned on leaving the weapon graphics the same when they're on the floor but if I can think of something that looks better I'll certainly implement it.

Thanks for the comment prfunky!

The sound you have in the wad for the gauntlets is in wav format, and that might have something to do with it not playing.

Well crap, I didn't even notice that til now - thanks Empyre, I think it works in all the intended ports as they support the wav format, but probably not PrBoom and other ports which may "mostly" run this wad. On the whole, it's looking like a refined build will definitely be necessary.

Purple isn't the most appealing color for plasma imo; I liked the green laser effect, but if it needs to be different then maybe make it red? Or maybe put it to some kind of vote?

You could leave it green, but use the green plasma balls from the beta BFG so it would look different from the arachnotron plasma.

Many thanks for making this. I will try it out for your intended purpose! :)

Boy, that MAGA reference is not going to age well at all in the post-Trump era. It's like having a Richard Nixon button on your shirt in 1973.