Don't you hate it when you get distracted for a while and you can't complete your wads?

I have this wad I'm working on, started mid-july, and I was supposed to finish it 3 weeks ago.

But multiple times my eye catches something glittery, and I stay on it for a while till I move on to the next thing, occasionally I map a little bit into my wad but that's it.

This wad is a little more than half done but at the rate I'm going it will take till Christmas.

WHY MUST PSYCHOLOGY BE SO ANNOYING!?

Edited by Eric the Sandvich
1 person likes this

I read the title and thought this was gonna be a rant about your girlfriend keeping you busy that you cant finish your work.

EDIT: title was changed so this no longer holds true

Edited by Royal_Sir

Most of my "distractions" thus far have been trying to figure out how to get some things to work since I am a noob lol. But now I have all the basic things I need out of the way so I can finally start on it for real

I can relate. My latest Doom mapping effort took me two years to finish because I kept getting distracted regularly. Doesn't help that I always have at least two projects going at once either.

Try speedmapping. Giving yourself a really stringent timeframe like an hour or two can be a great exercise for seeing what you can achieve given an intense period of solid focus, and for lowering your loftiest, most unrealistic ambitions to a more comfortable, accomplishable level.

7 people like this

For many years now, I have been in the middle of projects when I get ideas for another project. I drop the first one and start on the second, become enthused with my ideas, and let the first one fall by the wayside. I'm currently juggling 3 projects spanning 26 maps; one of the projects has been in the works since 2012, and another since 2013. [I'm almost done with the 2012-era project, so I'll likely have more time for the 2013-era one.]

Talk about being distracted by shiny objects.

1 person likes this

I have a map that was to be finished a year ago, I want to finish it but I just can't bring myself to do it as now I just find mapping tedious, boring and ultimately pointless.

Please don't remind me, I only just finished a map that was supposed to take 2 to 3 weeks.

It took 3 to 4 months... >.<

1 person likes this

Keep your levels small and interesting. Structure it so if you're no longer interested in completing that map you can work on a new one and simply connect it later.

If you get the urge to make a new map for a gimmick or just interest, do it. If you want to return to it later to add more then simply add a locked door requiring a key and continue.

I understand this feeling, I have multiple projects that are unfinished which I've not touched in months. It sucks when you can't get the motivation to do such.

When I didn't have a girlfriend, pets, or a full-time job, and I had a decent amount of free time, I wasn't mapping heavily. Now that I have a wife, kid, cat, dog, full-time job, a mortgage (and the yard that goes with it), and very little free time, this is when I choose to return to mapping. As a result, I could easily go a week or two without ever opening an editor. Managing distractions and not forgetting ideas are the name of the game.

Which is why I have scraps of paper scattered around my house with little sketches of part of a map from ideas that popped into my head.

I get this with many of my creative projects. Trying to find ways to fight it. I am naturally very un-conscientious.

Didn't bother me much in Doom map creation, maybe because it's easier and more direct and fun to expand a map than my other projects (which involve programming, which needs more focus especially when the problem at hand is hard or tedious to solve) yet I haven't been much mapping and when I have an unfinished map I don't care much (and come and finish it 6 months or 3 years later).

My general technique recently is to work on something even for 15 minutes right after I come back at work. Since this is the only time I can be productive with my personal projects, and either I end up resting after work (which involves, let's make something to eat and then watch youtube, I promise you it's just for 30 minutes, yeah sure..), I sneak in some fast creativity before I get distracted and end up the day before sleep doing nothing. Sometimes, I work for 30 minutes, sometimes the initial dread of not being motivated yet pushed ends up in a more creative flow, so I plan to work even for 15 minutes but end up doing 2 hours work at least. And then even when doing that, I try to be more observant of the distractions, I see how thoughts pop out like "Oh,. I remember I had to check something on the internet/emails, I promise you it's gonna be only 5 minutes" and then it ends up watching this and that and that and it's night and I am tired and I haven't even started. So I have this technique, work a tiny bit on your creative thing just before doing anything else (even 15 minutes will make you feel better, even if you just do that and nothing else in the day) and observe carefully because after 2 minutes you might be distracted and end up in 1 hour marathon on youtube or something like that. And just be happy you even work something small, allow yourself a bit to rest, but giving something so that you are not depressed you did nothing yet another day.

1 person likes this

This is the exact reason Doomed in Space is taking me so damn long, even with the help of others - interest seems to ebb and flow with me, sometimes I can edit for like 4 hours straight no problem, other days the mere sight of editing tools makes my brain shut off. (especially after a 10 hour day of physical work)

I think I was only ever meant to speedmap! I always get bogged down when the project isn't just "a small handful of vanilla maps" it seems

Edited by Doomkid

I don't really get distracted, I just realize my lack of mapping skills, think "wow this looks pretty bad" then delete the wad.

1 person likes this

This use to happen to me all the time, but now instead of being distracted by multiple maps I'm working on, I am distracted by multiple hobbies.   I stopped beating myself up over it; it'll be done when it's done.  In the meantime, I will enjoy it (the process, Doom, etc) as long as it is enjoyable and come back to it later if it is not working for me right now.  

like they say, one foot in front of the other, it can be valuable to set the mark just in a spot where you can step, the goal will be reached inn the long run

would you like to see the host of map shells i have imported a few graphics into, and then never touched again? rofl

This is something that happens mostly on MegaWads, and this is another point that Normal WADS (being from 1 to 5 level limit for me) are much more accessible than megawads, you don't have to spend all your time in just 1 wad.

I hate when Doom gets me distracted for a while, a 5 hours while and cant finish my damn homework.