Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maisth

Liquid Oxygen

This has nothing do to with anything whatsoever but its something i want to get of my chest

is Liquid Oxygen breathable?

I've worked with the stuff around aircraft & I'll let you know that Liquid Oxygen is incredibly cold stuff. Only takes a few seconds to freeze an apple solid. If you tried to breath it you would either get a severe case of frostbite or simply die.

8 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

I've worked with the stuff around aircraft & I'll let you know that Liquid Oxygen is incredibly cold stuff. Only takes a few seconds to freeze an apple solid. If you tried to breath it you would either get a severe case of frostbite or simply die.

68d53c4d52764f1ab4e4b7e59e2603a1-1.png

57 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

Goldeneye-boris-i-am-invincible-alan-cum

There are oxygen infused liquids used for deep diving, but liquid oxygen itself is hazardous in all kinds of ways.

Yeah someone could try inhaling it, but the Leidenfrost Effect will only work in their favor for a VERY short time before the liquid oxygen will start to cause their respiratory tract to freeze.

Liquid oxygen: No.

Other chemicals: Yep, lots of medical applications and stuff, but it's still quite dangerous stuff. Specially the adaptation phases as you switch between breathing gas and liquid, and cleaning your lungs.

12 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

It is cold at room pressure. I think you can compress it at room temperature. But in this case it would explode in our lungs.

I'm reminded of the fact that we can't smell oxygen because it's not threatening to us to breathe it in. Of course, we're also breathing in other gases which are also generally not "smellable." It's interesting that things that smell usually serve some kind of specific purpose, such as "this smells good, I should eat it," "this smells bad, I should not eat it," etc. We don't really have an evolutionary reason for smelling oxygen since we're constantly exposed to it.

18 hours ago, Urthar said:

There are oxygen infused liquids used for deep diving, but liquid oxygen itself is hazardous in all kinds of ways.

The first thing that popped into my head...

giphy.gif

But yes, there are oxygenated slurry solutions and perfluorocarbon liquids used for medical applications for when a patient's pulmonary system is severely damaged.  As for actual liquid oxygen, simply no, for the most obvious reason being the extreme temperature difference.

On 9/27/2017 at 5:25 PM, CARRiON said:

68d53c4d52764f1ab4e4b7e59e2603a1-1.png

Your Avatar is looking at Mr. Freezwartzenager!