Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
R1ck

[DOOM 2] etomana.wad

NOTE: I need to fix these first 3 maps before I begin another 3 before 3 maps. Therefore feedback from crowd is appreciated :D

Alright, I need to change my profile picture for this one :I
Since I don't know how to explain stuff, I just cut this thing simple before I proceed to story and other details.

This is going to be a 9 maps wad designed by me with some technical help from someone in this group. I just done 3 of them at the moment. I need some time to fix these first 3 maps before I can proceed to another ones.

IWAD: Doom 2

format: Boom 

-tested with prboom plus2.5.1.4 up to UV

-tested with gzdoom 3.0.1 up to UV

Pistol start?: YES!

Continuous?: YES!

STORY:

Spoiler

I wake up in a very dark room. Funny, I don't remember being in some sort of a crypt or something. All I can remember was having a party with my squad and got fucking wasted. I knew I shouldn't take that vodka. There's two doors, the one behind me is locked.

Well by the looks of it, something is TOTALLY wrong. Have to find my way out of here.

SCREENSHOTS:

Spoiler

21231555_10213181594562046_2527715418504

22046008_10213382529025282_7775028306795

Might change all of these in the future maybe.

CREDITS (for now):

Spoiler

@Phade102 - technical advises and quick fixes

@Fuzzball - for her (lol sorry for the late edit :p) "Remove Baron" (accordion mix of E1M8) mp3 for map03. been wanting to use that song for a while now download here

midimelody.ru - I stole the midis from there.

@Myst.Haruko - because I wanted to

Leenda - well, she just someone who kinda dear to me. She helps me through my depressions and shit. I think it's necessary to credit her :D

Download: forgot to add download link because I'm a fucking idiot. dropbox this time.

Edited by R1ck

ok so im playing through them.. map 01 is FUCKING EXCELLENT and captures the SPIRIT of DOOM very VERY well congratulations 

map01: u cant get out of the blood pit
map02: you can see the demons in the water from the balcony above

map03: its kinda weird going from grey/brown place to weird hell thing to back, u could switch w/ map02

all: the midis are much louder than vanilla

map02/03: the midis have some gap between loops

ok but those are all MINOR complaints what you have so far is pretty EXCELLENt in terms of gameplay and the midis themselves are great despite some of the issues

please keep going man this is GOOD shit

3 hours ago, R1ck said:

Pistol start?: YES!

Continuous?: YES!

YES! :D

anyways, here's an fda, or well, more like an fdahi, for "frickin dumb as heck idiot" for me dying while trying to scold you on map03

so it's not really my first demo attempt, it's my first demo attempts

i really liked it friend, it was vv pretty but map01 and map02 started getting kinda repetitive in some areas, like in map01 it looked like you copy pasted a section with some imps and spectres over to the other side of the map, which was kinda lame, and in map02 that shotgunner exclusive library club went on for way too heckin long, there needs to be way more variety in monster bois for that area

also the midis were pretty nice, but really mildly unfitting for the levels, so you should try using some more calm gentle midis that will give me a hug and a glass of warm milk, and also midis where i dont have to turn my music all the way down to 1 to hear anything

some gripes (in no particular order):

• the chaingunner boy on the lift on map03 needs more room to do anything
  • the mancubus soulsphere secret needs to be more hidden or just not a secret
  • on map01, in the area where you shoot the imps on the ledges, you should move the sky away from the ledge so you dont see bulletpuffs behind the imps
  • there's a part where i shake my head no at that double secret on map02, just ignore that, i did it because i was mad at myself for not using it as a shortcut like a frickin dumb as heck idiot
  • there's a part in map03 where i clear the entire final area by safely sniping everything from the other room
    • that room i was in needs more bad bois, it was only like a rev and a zombieman
    • if you want me to be able to snipe the final area, at least lower the cacos a bit so that you cant get them too
  • there are some spots in maps where you can just camp the door to the room to clear it, like the spiral rocky heck place in map02
  • the weird extremely loud sign of evil meme remix has an upsettingly long gap at the end of it
  • EDIT: i almost forgot but @spaztacus mentioned it!!! i also thought there was too much ammo yes sir
    • i also wanted to mention how i thought some locked doors weren't marked well enough but i thought i was just being stupid

i'm kinda graspin at straws there, which is a good thing c:

9/10!!!! keep em comin!!!! boneto_fda.zip (it's about 25 minutes)

P.S. those screenshots are awful, please change them. they show two of the least detailed or pretty spots in your maps, so it will DEFINITELY give the wrong impression (it did for me, at least)

edit: @R1ck I noticed you were looking at a topic about viewing demos, if you need to view my demo, a quick way is to put my lmp and your wad into your prboom+ folder and drag and drop them (together) over either the prboom+ or glboom+ exe's. Don't forget to check the controls to find the demo playback controls, so that you can speed up and slow down and skip maps in the demos at will!!!

Edited by bonnie

no are you KIDDING the metal music made the mood perfect without that the maps are worse

Map02 - is that Helloween playing in the midi.  It was driving me crazy that I could not place it.  What was the song on Map01?

On to the point:

-Good stuff here.  I felt bonnie was right about some areas being the same.

-took me a while to get used to how you were using sectors for light casting.  It grew on me.

-too much ammo.  I played it on UV.  Never felt worried about not having enough.

-I enjoyed Map 3 the most I think.  I liked how you connected everything and made going back and forth not too big of a issue.

-one thing I don't like, and this might be just personal, is I hate where there are no key car lights or indications by doors, as in Map 02-03.

Overall, I enjoyed it.  Maybe a little too easy, but was fun.  I enjoyed the different textures and the overall look of the maps.  Can't wait to play the rest

@R1ck Here it goes my demo. eto1.zip (edit....it's for GZDoom 3.1.0)

But I found something for maps 02 and 03 (although you'll see it in the demo)

• Map 02 - Before the exit area, in the lava pool, there's a damaging sector that must be removed and another sector must be raised a bit just like the other safe sectors nearby.
  • Map 03 - For the monster traps by picking up a key, you can kill them easily because they can't get out of those areas, which is a bad thing (see the part where the lost souls are pretty harmless). 

Other than that, you should reduce the amount of ammo by a bit and it'll be much challenging. Still a good job for the maps. 

Edited by leodoom85 : forgot the version once again....sigh

Forgot to say something and it's related to the music. In my opinion, the tracks for maps 01 and 02 are fine but the track for map 03, sorry man but I don't like it. Can you change it to a more suitable track for the map? You can use some tracks from classic wads like Scythe or Memento Mori or even one of the original stuff from Doom.

Dang R1ck, you've recieved more positive reception then my maps did when I started. awesome job, really glad to see you coming into your mapping skills. keep it up!

1 minute ago, Phade102 said:

Dang R1ck, you've recieved more positive reception then my maps did when I started. awesome job, really glad to see you coming into your mapping skills. keep it up!

I'm still waiting for Experiment zero release, don't make private testing thing go away ;) .

Are these your first maps? As a starting point, it's not bad. I've definitely seen (and made) worse. In addition, it's good that you are not overly ambitious in terms of your goals. Nine maps should provide room to grow without the set becoming too inconsistent and back-loaded, and significantly reduces the possibility of you running out of steam before the project is done. With that said, the maps themselves are lacking in the gameplay department, which is what I want to focus on in this post.

The layouts are pretty basic. MAP01 is the best example of this, it being an overly symmetrical room-door-room affair, but they all fall into the trap of heavy linearity. Now, a linear map isn't necessarily a bad map (a lot of maps I like are pretty linear. BTSX E1 for example has a bunch of maps which are essentially straight lines), but it's important to give off an illusion of non-linearity; that is, making them feel like they're more than they actually are. A good linear map is disguised to make it feel less one-directional. This can be accomplished by implementing side areas, revisiting old areas and doing new things with them, and/or just making the map more open and doing away with heavy amounts of closed, tight hallways. MAP02 is one big hallway with a room at the end, but MAP03 has some of those elements that make it feel a little more open and interesting.

The combat is also fairly one-dimensional. It's pretty laid back in terms of difficulty, which is not a bad thing if the setups are clever and keep you on your toes. Unfortunately, here they were predictable with most ambushes being simple monster closets (the only thing to catch me off-guard was the red key lift in MAP03). It's possible to make a map feel dangerous without it actually being hard, and varying the setups would go a long way towards this, as well as maintaining the player's interest. There is a ludicrous amount of supplies to be found here, particularly health and shells. You really don't need that much for what's being thrown at you. And while we're on the subject of throwing stuff at the player: Groups of demons and lost souls by themselves are not threatening and only make the player take a step back and pick them off one by one, and that's no fun, eh? They work best when mixed in with crowds and act as moving obstacles; they get in your way and make dodging other things a little harder.

I could talk about visuals as well but I don't have time at the moment. One thing I will say: Always mark your key doors! MAP03's key doors are mostly unmarked, and the automap is the only way to tell which key goes where.

Keep at it. Every map you make will be a step forward. 

(One more thing. Almost every line in MAP02 blocks sound, even one-sided lines. Similarly, in MAP03, a lot of one-sided lines are flagged as monster blocking. I have no idea why that is)

Some cool maps. Looking forward to playing more of the set when its finished. My only big complaint is all the hallways filled with Spectres, they were just a chore to clear out.

6 hours ago, bonnie said:

- on map01, in the area where you shoot the imps on the ledges, you should move the sky away from the ledge so you dont see bulletpuffs behind the imps

-the weird extremely loud sign of evil meme remix has an upsettingly long gap at the end of it

I see, will fix that one. And I thought having accordion version of sign of evil would be cool haha. might change that as well.

5 hours ago, spaztacus said:

Map02 - is that Helloween playing in the midi.  It was driving me crazy that I could not place it.  What was the song on Map01?

But but but Helloween is cool :( Map01 is also Helloween - Savage

4 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Map 02 - Before the exit area, in the lava pool, there's a damaging sector that must be removed and another sector must be raised a bit just like the other safe sectors nearby.

Might have missed that one when early fixing. Will not happen again.

2 hours ago, Phade102 said:

Hey thanks, you help a lot as well and I thank you for that :D

2 hours ago, AD_79 said:

- The layouts are pretty basic. MAP01 is the best example of this, it being an overly symmetrical room-door-room affair, but they all fall into the trap of heavy linearity. Now, a linear map isn't necessarily a bad map (a lot of maps I like are pretty linear. BTSX E1 for example has a bunch of maps which are essentially straight lines), but it's important to give off an illusion of non-linearity; that is, making them feel like they're more than they actually are. A good linear map is disguised to make it feel less one-directional. This can be accomplished by implementing side areas, revisiting old areas and doing new things with them, and/or just making the map more open and doing away with heavy amounts of closed, tight hallways. MAP02 is one big hallway with a room at the end, but MAP03 has some of those elements that make it feel a little more open and interesting.

-MAP03's key doors are mostly unmarked, and the automap is the only way to tell which key goes where.

Mark the doors. okay :D

-

Actually Map01 was made for a Dead simple clone. but I can't get action 666 amd 667 working so I put in map01 instead :p But I know that's not the point. Thanks for the feedback.

- mark the door, right. will do that :)

Almost everyone said that there's too much ammo.

I guess I will delete some of them.

thanks @AD_79 for pointing that monster block flag. No wonder why those knights can't get out of their closet.

One fatal problem of Map02: 8 enemies cannot be killed, preventing you from getting UV Max.

I have done a demo with 92% kills (99/107) and 100% secrets with -complevel 9 (I think cl9 is right because the format is Boom) plus a screenshot of the 8 enemies on the automap.

Demo: et02-246.zip

111.png.e58a37b4365741e58770a10ba8287ca4.png

This mapset would be more nicer if you would include barons of hell, archviles and pain elementals(these salty things could eat those shells). Oh and I missed backpack in maps. Anyway, I made video and demo lump(it's not like you overcrowed by them now). 

etomana_demo.zip

I have done UV Max run of Map01 and 03. Demos can be downloaded here:

Map01 UV Max in 2:06-et01-206.zip

Map03 UV Max in 3:44-et03-344.zip

And I found a weird design in map03. The blue door and yellow door has no mark as @AD_79 said (much like Dr. Sleep's style in E4M7 of Ultimate Doom and other maps in master levels).