Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Was it a horrible idea to send signals into space?

39 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Forums and echo-chambers aren't the same thing.

Wow, no way, thanks for that insight. I sure was lost before someone like you came along in my life to tell me how wrong I always am. 

(USER WAS BANNED BY HEEL'S SUPERMOD FRIEND)

Reason: bias

(actual mod edit from an actual mod: user was not banned, and was only claiming to be...)

18 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

Wow, no way, thanks for that insight. I sure was lost before someone like you came along in my life to tell me how wrong I always am. 

(USER WAS BANNED BY HEEL'S SUPERMOD FRIEND)

Reason: bias

I'm sorry but what? If you have complaints with moderation or with how someone is handling themselves on the forum, please take it to the staff directly instead of dragging your dirty laundry out here.

Hahahahaa wow, no I think that's all I have to say, you've well proved my point.

We now return to your regularly scheduled broadcast. Carry on, Doomworlders. 

This is basically the forum equivalent of walking into a crowded room and screaming "STOP LOOKING AT ME!" at the top of one's lungs.

[EDIT] Well, I'm glad we agree on this. :P

So apparently when you're publicly accusing people of things, they occasionally come to reply. I think it's an interesting discovery that requires attention.

Some scientist, and IIRC Elon Musk, too, think we live in a simulation

so maybe sending signals into space, it's not a problem at all, since we are alone in this universe.

But even if it is true, we cannot do anything to fix that, so just live your life at best and explore and fullfill your dreams

12 hours ago, LuciferSam86 said:

Some scientist, and IIRC Elon Musk, too, think we live in a simulation

so maybe sending signals into space, it's not a problem at all, since we are alone in this universe.

But even if it is true, we cannot do anything to fix that, so just live your life at best and explore and fullfill your dreams

I have a question about this. How can a simulation exist without there being somebody who created said simulation? I'm asking because if a simulation exists and is run by somebody (or something) who is intelligent enough to do that, how could we be entirely alone? I'm not saying your point about signals is right or wrong, but simulations are creations of an intellect that has the capacity to do so, right?

Solipsism and Nihilism are pointless endeavors. Gosh Dang it

There are foot prints on the moon and the people did not get there by a unicorn boat, no, they did not walk like tony keidis no, they put their minds together and made some metal box wrapped in gold, slightly larger than a toaster, and they packed some of their fellows in there and they shot it/them into outer space (with math).

Then Tom Hanks met John Coffey and together they devoured all the terrible space bees and killed the supreme overlord, Percy Whetmore a.ka "The Horrible Ever Growing Galactic Sized Sentient Pulsating Mega-Brain from the Center of Black hole Z"

fact: I always heard the strongest broadcast to make it beyond our atmosphere would have been Reichstag speech or something along those lines?  but if that's true it would soon be followed up by the Beatles? is it only a question of magnitude of power given the source of the original transmission? I say ask Cassie, in her rockin' chair

Well, this is confusing to me. I mean, if the universe as we perceive it is simulated, then I think it's reasonable to make the argument that it does not matter what we send into space or not, because somebody else, who is running the simulation, decides if it will have any impact or not, because whotever is running a simulation as complex as this one (would be assuming it were true), would also (have to) have the intellectual capacity to "excercise" full control over it. So the point where I get confused is that even if the universe as we see it is simulated, there would still have to be another entity with which we share the "real plane of existence", right? And if the universe we live in is simulated, then it's not the "real universe", right? So wouldn't that mean that the idea of a simulated universe would intrinsically falsify the idea of us being alone in a universe at all?

24 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Well, this is confusing to me. I mean, if the universe as we perceive it is simulated, then I think it's reasonable to make the argument that it does not matter what we send into space or not, because somebody else, who is running the simulation, decides if it will have any impact or not, because whotever is running a simulation as complex as this one (would be assuming it were true), would also (have to) have the intellectual capacity to "excercise" full control over it. So the point where I get confused is that even if the universe as we see it is simulated, there would still have to be another entity with which we share the "real plane of existence", right? And if the universe we live in is simulated, then it's not the "real universe", right? So wouldn't that mean that the idea of a simulated universe would intrinsically falsify the idea of us being alone in a universe at all?

A good thing to compare this to could be the Matrix, the Wachowski brothers used the book "Simulation and Simulacra" as well as eastern traditions and metapysical philosophy into account when writing the treatments, and they wrapped the movie up in a comic book style. Neo is inside the Matrix and outside the simulation concurrently, but he can only be 'turned on' in one place at a time, at least in the beginning. Eventually the core message of the first and subsequent films is collapsing the Matrix into a singularity focused on the individual, represented by Neo, and then from that point on he is the golden Buddha. Agent Smith represents the machine intelligence of simple replication, like bacteria, to edge out a possible threat to existence.

Was it a horrible night to have a curse?

Let's be real one minute (whether we're simulated or not): none of the stuff we have done outside our planet is as much a threat to our survival as the stuff we're doing on our planet.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Let's be real one minute (whether we're simulated or not): none of the stuff we have done outside our planet is as much a threat to our survival as the stuff we're doing on our planet.

I'd say that's because we lack the capacoty to do so. But now that you mention things we do "outside" of our planet, here's an insight as to how we're already cluttering up the space near us: https://www.orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov/

Yes sure we're polluting our low orbit too; but worst case is, it destroys satellites, fucking up GPS and telecommunications which would have wide-ranging repercussions on our global economy, but not kill us.

Yeah space trash has the potential to damage satellites or even harm astronauts or shuttles, imagine a screw deflected by something travelling at hundreds of miles an hour hitting the thin coating of a solar panel or whatever. NASA tracks all the space junk, everything down to little chunks of metal, and I remember hearing that over time the space junk will settle into it's orbit, and eventually Earth could have rings of trash like Saturn but made up of randomly smashed up metal particle debris and junk, that's pretty metal \m/