Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeorgeCostanza94

What weapons do you dislike seeing in mods?

Thought just popped in my head that there are some weapons that I see in gameplay mods every now and then that I simply dislike. The first thing I think of is quad barrel shotguns, or in some cases I've seen a hexatruple barreled shotgun. I feels redundant, since chances are you're gunna have the regular super shotgun in there anyway. It's usually countered by having a slower reload, but it rarely seems to make much of a difference. Pump-shotgun for speed and accuracy, super shotgun for power, it's a balance that doesn't need to be tampered with. It's like having the chaingun, and then having another chaingun that fires slightly faster, but has a windup of half a second.

Most of the time I dislike seeing a gun that isn't a basic one that does the shooty thing. Guns are simple and should stay simple. One gun, one fire mode.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

Most of the time I dislike seeing a gun that isn't a basic one that does the shooty thing. Guns are simple and should stay simple. One gun, one fire mode.

I'd beg to differ; sometimes a basic alternate mode (such as a spin-up for miniguns or iron sights for a semi-auto rifle) notably improves the weapon.

I generally play Boom-compatible and below so I won't comment on the googleplex-barreled shotguns and such. I'm absolutely not a fan of changes to the timing of the slow timing-based weapons, which are the SSG and BFG (as well as to BFG projectile speed). Usually it's a slight change, like slowing the SSG down just a bit, and without a reskin. There aren't many things in Doom I find as thoroughly annoying as trying to fight with these. Not my thing at all. I haven't seen any mods that have slightly lowered RL or fist speed without any other changes, but those would be unplayable as well. Slight changes to the SG are bad too (sped up a bit usually) but more tolerable because I'm not the biggest fan of the normal shotgun.  And I dislike single shotguns that have been modified to not swing across the screen when they reload. These feel very very wrong. Rate of fire changes to the pistol, chaingun, plasma rifle, and chainsaw (preferably increases) are all fine. 

Edited by rdwpa

11 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Weapons that fire projectiles that are affected by gravity.

Grenade launchers. I hate those (especially the one in Strife).

Overpowered weapons, and weak weapons sometimes that don't feel effective in most cases, a Good gun in mods should be Moderate and should at least have some uses, not just grab and use it once then forget about it afterwards.

Nerfing the ssg in order to bring it more in line with sg + cg. Rather make those moderately more powerful for more fun.

That Frost Fang weapon on Realm667.  The sprite is great, but the behavior for it... what on earth possessed someone to sit down and think "you know what Heretic needs, ANOTHER borderline redundant rapid-fire weapon, but differentiate this one by making it act janky and unreliable"?

And on a related topic, I find the "super crossbows" designed on some sort of principle of "ethereal crossbow = shotgun so there should be an SSG too" to be a pretty stupid addition, too.

D4T: I hate some weapons from this mod. These are Hellshot, reaper, vortex, reapeter,  LG, SR. I really hate these weapons and avoid them at any cost when I see them. I like playing this mod but these weapons look ugly. If there is a way to completely stop them from appearing, someone please tell me how do I do that.

Brutal Doom: Revenant cannon, nazi rifle. Such ugly things.

Project Brutality/Mutator: LMG, 4 barrel shotgun, SMG, demon tech rifle, LG.

Edited by Yousuf Anik

Weak or underpowered weapons, i can use grenade launchers and railguns without any problem, with a weak or underpowered weapon, it takes a lot of time, it's tedious and boring.

I hate it when all 400 shotgun replacement weapons are all in one mod, what is the god damn point of having 400 of the same thing? Just pick 2 good ones and there we go.

-Miniguns that are no better than the vanilla chaingun, have a very long spin up (more than 1 second), or eat ammo so fast that it's better to use something else pretty much anywhere.

-Superweapons that are either a buffed plasma gun or a BFG clone. C'mon, have something original like Trailblazer's elephant rifle.

-Anything that is straight up better than something else. If it's a balancing problem, it's fine, but if it's designed to be straight up better, the old weapon is pointless. 

-Explosive weapons with excessive bounce. It's easier to blow yourself up than to hit the Pinky on the other side of the room.

-Useless pistol weapon with unique ammo that is used by nothing else/secret-only MP40. Why do so many Brutal Doom submods do that?

12 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

-Useless pistol weapon with unique ammo that is used by nothing else/secret-only MP40. Why do so many Brutal Doom submods do that?

Because the vanilla pistol is useless after you get the chaingun because they share ammo?

Giving the pistol separate ammo gives it at least some use. It's now a backup weapon, or a weapon to use when you don't want to waste your other ammo.

Something I really like in Heretic is the fact that the wand has its own unique (albeit small) ammo pool, which makes it an excellent last resort weapon.

Sniper Rifles and Railguns usually end up completely unused by me outside ofna deathmatch.  Also trap weapons like landmines and multiple pistols/shotguns that don't really have a unique use.

Edited by Chronosplit

35 minutes ago, Flareblood_V2 said:

Because the vanilla pistol is useless after you get the chaingun because they share ammo?

Giving the pistol separate ammo gives it at least some use. It's now a backup weapon, or a weapon to use when you don't want to waste your other ammo.

I've found that giving the pistol infinite ammo works well. It then becomes a somewhat useful ranged emergency weapon; the Fist I usually buff by making it a silent attack and swinging a bit faster.

Because the Chaingun shouldn't be the only bullet firing weapon, then, it frees up a space in Slot 2 for a rifle-type gun.

4 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

That Frost Fang weapon on Realm667.  The sprite is great, but the behavior for it... what on earth possessed someone to sit down and think "you know what Heretic needs, ANOTHER borderline redundant rapid-fire weapon, but differentiate this one by making it act janky and unreliable"?

And on a related topic, I find the "super crossbows" designed on some sort of principle of "ethereal crossbow = shotgun so there should be an SSG too" to be a pretty stupid addition, too.

Funnily enough Heretic already has 2 weapons simmiliar to it,the tomed crossbow damage-wise and the time bombs gameplay-wise

I rarely like weapon mods. I might just try them for the LOLs, but I never went to say "let's play Plutonia with Russian Overkill mod" or something. Because the original weapons and their mechanics have stayed blindly in my head, I can hardly like MODs with new weaps, even some that are well designed. Ok,. I do play a lot of BD (from which I don't like the nazi secondary rifle (because I don't like many similar weapons in the same slot, distracting when you want to switch the right one), also don't like the mancubus/revenant additions) where even if the regular weaps have changed power, I got used to them and am fine. And once, there was this WAD I liked, NeoDoom, where the author really went bereserk with monsters and weapons (and many in the same slot), which might kinda spoil the fun (or add a different dimension in how I play Doom), but I stayed with that because of the environments. Hmm,. ok there might be few more level maps that add additional monsters or weapons, but few so that it's not overhowled, even though I am general weary of changes in weap/enemy balance.

I don't get all the railgun and grenade launcher hate, those are two of the best custom weapons ever made in my view. It's nice have a proper sniper rather than "tediously click fire on the chaingun over and over" and sometimes it's nice to lob a bouncy-rocket down into a tunnel or over a wall/fence to waste some demonic losers before entering. Versatile weapons that simply improve the game, imo. For what it's worth I really like the Skulltag railgun sprite but was never a fan of the appearance of the grenade launcher, just kinda looked like a skinny brown rocket launcher. Love the way they function though.

17 variants of slightly faster chaingun/slightly more powerful shotgun? Yeah, I can do without those.

@Doomkid, I don't know about everybody, but I can tell you why I generally object to those two weapons.

To me Doom is about getting in demons' faces to rip and tear, not to hide or keep a safe distance. That's why the most effective weapons (SG, SSG, BFG) become almost useless at long range -- that was a deliberate design choice, I think. Such gameplay also requires the player to move quickly and strategically in order to survive, which is so huge that it's almost the whole game.

Rail guns let you stand far away and kill enemies with almost no risk. Notice I used the word "stand" -- aiming is too hard to do while moving, at this distance. This is Doom, not Call of Duty! ;-)

Grenade launchers are a similar story -- you can hide on a ledge or around a corner and kill monsters with little risk to your health. Hide definitely =/= run & gun.

Can't say I "hate" finding them in my arsenal though, especially in a multiplayer game. For dumb, slow monsters though, they make it too easy to cheese everything, and it takes the edge off of the challenge.

Just my thoughts...

Early versions of OMG Weapons! had some really crappy weapons, like the completely redundant laser chaingun. At least the newer versions made things a bit more balanced, although there still were two railguns in that mod. The throwable chainsaw was novelty, but it was only funny once, and is pretty much impractical to use otherwise.

The ones which use weapons from modern CoD games. I recall during my Skulltag days that a lot of servers towards the end of its life included "realistic military weapons" mods which appeared to use edited screenshots of weapons from any of the modern CoD games as weapon sprites.

Edited by Avoozl

Wow I'm some-what surprised by the grenade launcher hate. I've always found something so fun about grenade launchers in Doom, or simply hand-thrown grenades that can bounce around a corner or over a ledge. I find that simple mechanic adds so much to the experience. Especially if you're playing with the Ketchup mod or something, you pop a grenade at a wall and bounces off into a crowd of idling zombies or imps out of view, and a bunch of gibs comes flying out behind the wall, it's so satisfying and fun. 

I get where you guys are coming from now. It was pretty brazen for me to say "they improve the game" and I really should have said they improve the experience I have in certain WADs - The default iwad turf is best with the default weaponry, naturally!