Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeorgeCostanza94

What weapons do you dislike seeing in mods?

I actually like door camping and floor trap cheesing. Guess that's why I the ST Grenade Launcher lol.

I prefer playing Doom without vertical mouse aiming, instead relying on vertical autoaim, and weapons that fire projectiles that are affected by gravity aren't well usable that way.

I was gonna say automatics that have no punch to them, but what irks me more is if you've got an automatic that feels like it's firing the wrong caliber.  If you're gonna have an SMG, it ought to have about as much punch as a pistol, while rifles ought to have a lot more stopping power.

And then there's shotguns that feel like you're better off throwing popcorn at imps.

Weapons you only use once and immediately gets replaced by an obviously superior version of the weapon. Why have all these guns to play with if like five seconds later you get a better version of the weapon anyways? I would prefer a different weapon altogether than some variant of the shotgun, at least then I won't have twenty pump-action shotguns alongside me.

7 hours ago, Pegg said:

Grenade launchers cheese floor traps and encourage door camping against hordes, they have no place in Doom.

Call me a peasant or a "not real Doom fan", but I find them fun, so I enjoy them.

not a particular kind of weapon: but I don't like mods with 50 weapons and some of them are mostly identical.

Maybe the only exception is ARSENAL.wad by Daniel , just because of BFG12850: the only BFG I really like , and the Unmaker and both weapons can be upgraded

Too many shotgun variants.

Too many automatics.

Superweapons that can kill you if using it casually but carelessly.

Hmm... This one's tough. Probably realistic assault rifles, especially American rifles. They're just boring. Gimme an LMG that shoots .50 cal incindiary bullets and is as big as my leg or a beefy minigun any day over a fuckin' M16. "Realistic" COD style guns annoy me in general, have some imagination will ya!  

Project Bruality's pistol just looks so out of place for me. Sure the dual wield sprite looks better, but the one handed variant just looks so cartoony I can't take it too seriously. Silencer is useless as well, so what's the point.

For me grenade launchers are in principle a welcome part of the armoury in FPS games if they're well executed, as for example in Quake. Unfortunately the ones I recall in Doom wads, such as in Scientist 2 and Batman Doom (lol), were absolutely useless, and far more likely to blow up the user than any baddies.

Quake is the first place where I saw a grenade launcher in a game, and I used it to great effect back then...bouncing it off of walls and around corners to kill enemies that were otherwise hidden. The ogres were also a rather fun enemy to fight against, and a couple of ogres in E2M3 (Crypt of Decay) are positioned in such a place that makes those grenades particularly tricky to dodge sometimes.

On 9/29/2017 at 5:56 PM, 42PercentHealth said:

Rail guns let you stand far away and kill enemies with almost no risk. Notice I used the word "stand" -- aiming is too hard to do while moving, at this distance. This is Doom, not Call of Duty! ;-)

Right, because Call of Duty invented the concept of standing still and aiming. Fucking kids!

The weapon where you're holding a demon perturbs me. I think it's called the "unmaker" in one wad. I hate it. 

Aesthetics wise I pretty much prefer Doom 64's Unmaker over the version with the horned skull.

I'm generally fine with most weapons in weapon mods. It's more features in them that bother me.

• With regards to weapons though, anything that involves indirect kills with a weapon. Stuff like grenade launchers, mine launchers, and ooze launchers/biosludge guns where there isn't immediate feedback between the pull of the trigger and impact. I almost always avoid these weapons like the plague unless I'm either out in the open or I'm out of ammo for everything else. Trailblazer manages to avoid this with its grenade launcher by having it take a while before gravity kicks in and pulls the grenade down.
  • With regards to features, it's a tie between having way too many weapons and, by extension, having multiple versions of the same weapon slot that all do the same or similar things. A good way to off-set these based on other mods I've played is to have classes. Doomzone and Super Shuffle handle this very well with its classes. Another way to offset this is to have a weapon carry limit, which is something DoomRLA has and does well too.
Edited by Nems

Weapons with a needlessly-large delay at the end that screws with single-shot firing (even Doom itself is guilty of this, but one would expect to adapt to the vanilla weaponset anyways so...). If necessary to mechanics, at least have some sort of indicator that the weapon's not yet ready to fire.

I don't typically love grenade launchers much, but the KDizD Grenade Launcher is one I love for its design.  Makes me think of a rocket launcher/ssg hybrid, and it doesn't have much of an arc either, which from trigger pull to impact the wait is minimal.  Feels better to use than any other grenade launcher made for DooM, personally.  But on topic, I never liked melee weapons much (knives/etc), save for the chainsaw and the fist weapon in LegenDoom (especially with Explosive).  Scoped weapons also feel weird.

Reading this thread, I feel like a lot of folks here have been burned by poor-quality weapon mods more than anything else -- not to suggest the opinions that stem from them are invalid or anything. The "too many redundant weapons" point in particular is really only present in a few notable mods and makes me wonder a bit if they're to blame. :P

Regarding the topic itself, I dunno if I can point to a particular weapon archetype I outright dislike, but one behavior in ZDoom mods I've never been a fan of is when a weapon has two firemodes, but the Altfire key just switches between modes and the primary fire shoots whatever mode you're on*. If the weapon only has two firemodes, make altfire do the other attack and don't waste my time. Bonus negative points if there's no visual indicator on the weapon which mode I'm in, so I forget which one it is.

D44M-style "hold altfire then use regular fire to do the alt-attack" is oddly okay, though -- probably because it fills the same space in my brain as moden games' aim-down-sight actions. At least there's one canonical "do this series of buttons to do this attack" that doesn't rely on me remembering state. :P

[*Sacrilege time: I got into the ARPG genre with Torchlight, so when I tried to go back to Diablo 2 and realized the skill bindings just switched your slot rather than used the skill, it frustrated me so much I wasn't able to progress that far into the game. Apparently this cut runs deep. ;]

I generally don't play weapon mods anymore, think I had my fill when decorate allowed weapons and Edge was the in thing. We were inundated with weapons mods, it was kinda crazy.

However I do approve of pistol modifications that keep it useful for longer, however that is rather limited and my own personal attempts so far have failed. 

Can anyone point me to these mods with googlilion variants of same weapons at the same time, by the way, something like OMG weapons? I like having too many weapons in a single wad, thanks in advance. (I am also serious about asking this, am not joking or anything)

I'm not a great fan of the BFG in regular Doom, so I do like a good alternative to it when using a weapons mod. The Devastator in the Doom 64 Extended Weapons Pack is one such, as is the Demon Tech rifle from Complex Doom. I've never played Russian Overkill, but some of the stuff in that looks ridiculous.

51 minutes ago, Xaser said:

D44M-style "hold altfire then use regular fire to do the alt-attack" is oddly okay, though -- probably because it fills the same space in my brain as moden games' aim-down-sight actions. At least there's one canonical "do this series of buttons to do this attack" that doesn't rely on me remembering state. :P

It probably has something to do with the fact that it's a binary fire mode triggered by a binary action - if you're not touching altfire, you do one attack, and if you are, you do the other attack. On the flip side, tap-altfire-to-toggle implementations remove that natural flow, making it so that you press altfire to change fire modes ... then let go, meaning you're no longer doing the binary action yet you're still getting a binary result.

When putting it this way, the DOOM '16 style of doing things honestly sounds better than just having altfire shoot the secondary attack - which now seems far better suited for the Painkiller style of doing things where the different attacks don't intervene with each other or using them together flat-out causes a tertiary attack, as you're taking two binary actions and making them either have two separate results or have a special result if both are combined.

8 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

It probably has something to do with the fact that it's a binary fire mode triggered by a binary action - if you're not touching altfire, you do one attack, and if you are, you do the other attack. On the flip side, tap-altfire-to-toggle implementations remove that natural flow, making it so that you press altfire to change fire modes ... then let go, meaning you're no longer doing the binary action yet you're still getting a binary result.

When putting it this way, the DOOM '16 style of doing things honestly sounds better than just having altfire shoot the secondary attack - which now seems far better suited for the Painkiller style of doing things where the different attacks don't intervene with each other or using them together flat-out causes a tertiary attack, as you're taking two binary actions and making them either have two separate results or have a special result if both are combined.

I like that idea of a tertiary attack happening when both primary and secondary fire are pressed. I wonder if that can be done with DECORATE with help from ACS if needed.