What weapons do you dislike seeing in mods?

I actually like door camping and floor trap cheesing. Guess that's why I the ST Grenade Launcher lol.

3 people like this

I prefer playing Doom without vertical mouse aiming, instead relying on vertical autoaim, and weapons that fire projectiles that are affected by gravity aren't well usable that way.

1 person likes this

I was gonna say automatics that have no punch to them, but what irks me more is if you've got an automatic that feels like it's firing the wrong caliber.  If you're gonna have an SMG, it ought to have about as much punch as a pistol, while rifles ought to have a lot more stopping power.

And then there's shotguns that feel like you're better off throwing popcorn at imps.

4 people like this

OP weapons. Give me a pea shooter any day. 

1 person likes this

The Frame Drop weapons, those things that everytime I fire drop my fps below 20. 

5 people like this

Weapons you only use once and immediately gets replaced by an obviously superior version of the weapon. Why have all these guns to play with if like five seconds later you get a better version of the weapon anyways? I would prefer a different weapon altogether than some variant of the shotgun, at least then I won't have twenty pump-action shotguns alongside me.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Pegg said:

Grenade launchers cheese floor traps and encourage door camping against hordes, they have no place in Doom.

Call me a peasant or a "not real Doom fan", but I find them fun, so I enjoy them.

1 person likes this

not a particular kind of weapon: but I don't like mods with 50 weapons and some of them are mostly identical.

Maybe the only exception is ARSENAL.wad by Daniel , just because of BFG12850: the only BFG I really like , and the Unmaker and both weapons can be upgraded

Creators giving out super under powered guns then proceeding to give out way to make over powered guns.

Too many shotgun variants.

Too many automatics.

Superweapons that can kill you if using it casually but carelessly.

Hmm... This one's tough. Probably realistic assault rifles, especially American rifles. They're just boring. Gimme an LMG that shoots .50 cal incindiary bullets and is as big as my leg or a beefy minigun any day over a fuckin' M16. "Realistic" COD style guns annoy me in general, have some imagination will ya!  

Project Bruality's pistol just looks so out of place for me. Sure the dual wield sprite looks better, but the one handed variant just looks so cartoony I can't take it too seriously. Silencer is useless as well, so what's the point.

For me grenade launchers are in principle a welcome part of the armoury in FPS games if they're well executed, as for example in Quake. Unfortunately the ones I recall in Doom wads, such as in Scientist 2 and Batman Doom (lol), were absolutely useless, and far more likely to blow up the user than any baddies.

Quake is the first place where I saw a grenade launcher in a game, and I used it to great effect back then...bouncing it off of walls and around corners to kill enemies that were otherwise hidden. The ogres were also a rather fun enemy to fight against, and a couple of ogres in E2M3 (Crypt of Decay) are positioned in such a place that makes those grenades particularly tricky to dodge sometimes.