Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lost Soul

!@#?$%!!!!!

I have been trying to do a box in the sky effect to not much avail.
I am attempting to have a simple 64x64 box attatched to the roof to be specific, and I ONLY want it to come down 64, not the whole way down. I have tried making a lightbox, but Deepsea insisted on making it go right to the floor. I tried making another sector with a ceiling height of 64 (128 -64=64) and nothing happened. then I tried it again, but textured it with a 64x64 tile and got a horrible leak happening. then I tried texturing a 128 pillar with a texture that had what i wanted on the top, and a transparancy on the bottom, and the damned image tiled. I tried looking at Plutonia's Baron;s Lair, cause that skullbox right in front is more or less what I want, and I followed it's linedefs exactly, and got nowhere still.
little help anyone?

I've not seen the exact thing you want, but are the sides of that box-in-the-sky just lines with "main" texture assigned and also an approriate y offset? Not sure why this method would be used unless it was wished that something could be "inside" the crate.

If you have a ceiling of 128 and floor of 0, a simple hanging crate should be a sector of floor 0, ceiling 64. You need to put some crate bottom flat on the ceiling of that sector, and need to have a crate texture on the upper sidedefs of the lines of the crate sector. If this is not what you are trying to do....someone else please help?

The effect in Plutonia's Baron Lair level is not done using different sectors. Both sides can even be the same sector, and it'll still work

What you need to do is put a middle (sometimes called a normal) texture on both sides of the linedefs. Then turn on the lines' lower unpegged flag, and then give them a Y offset of however high you want (maximum of 256). If you want the textures to be 64 pixels off the floor, give the linedefs Y offsets of 64.

NiGHTMARE said:

The effect in Plutonia's Baron Lair level is not done using different sectors. Both sides can even be the same sector, and it'll still work

What you need to do is put a middle (sometimes called a normal) texture on both sides of the linedefs. Then turn on the lines' lower unpegged flag, and then give them a Y offset of however high you want (maximum of 256). If you want the textures to be 64 pixels off the floor, give the linedefs Y offsets of 64.

In this case, what is the appearance of the bottom of the crate?

Also, I'm curious about the "maximum of 256" y offset, since I've used higher. Is that a doom/doom2 limit? I use zdoom.

What a horrible topic. It sure makes it clear what your question is. I eagerly await your next topic of gibberish which has nothing to do with your post.

Biffy said:

Also, I'm curious about the "maximum of 256" y offset, since I've used higher. Is that a doom/doom2 limit? I use zdoom.

No, it's the limit of most editors (some are 255).

Checking, now I see that what I remembered is largely the use of negative y offsets. In a tall sector, I have some textures offset to -768. These are small flags, not too high above the ground. Can't say I've use +y offsets that large.