Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Is STARTAN2 ruined forever?

Is STARTAN2 ruined forever?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Is STARTAN2 ruined forever?

2uJS77L.png

Whenever I see it I think: "okay, the author forgot to change the texture here". It is pretty much unsalvageable and will forever be associated with lameness. Don't you think so?

STARTAN2, FLOOR0_1, and CEIL1_1 unfortunately all generate a negative response from me because of the reason you described. It's a shame because they're not necessarily bad textures, but I always just associate their presence with "this looks unfinished".

Somewhere in between apparently. But I've never seen someone ingeniously use STARTAN (myself included)

I'd have to agree on "somewhere in between" as well.

An average user that just plays random levels etc. likely won't see anything out of the ordinary.

But your average wad author will.

This sparks the idea of having a different startup texture to begin with, for example.. a grid texture.

I have used the texture actually heh, but only when used with it's family textures. STAR2, STAR3, etc.

You might see this in mega5.wad map06.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Can you change the default textures on GZDB? I'd personally far rather start with the 64 grid orange "missing texture" patch.

9 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Can you change the default textures on GZDB? I'd personally far rather start with the 64 grid orange "missing texture" patch.

Nope

What about STARTAN2 or the other ones?

I don't use it and don't like it at all imho...

I think they're fine when used well, still. Mixing the three together is pretty likely to generate the negative reaction, though.

After about a decade, I think I'm cured from seeing ASHWALL2 and CEIL5_2 in this light, the old DB1 defaults.

STARTAN2 or any of the other STAR2 textures are best used in conjunction with the regular STAR texture in order to provide some variety.

Why STARTAN was removed from Doom 2 is beyond me.

9 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

Next community project should be titled STARTAN appreciation, where every level uses each of the variations.

I had the idea of a CP where everyone just uses that texture and those 2 flats in my "stupid mod idea thread"

STARTAN2 is not ruined. It is a nice texture. I don't think it looks bad. 

It is the texture that was there for me when I created my first rooms in mapping. It didn't wait like the other textures in the list to be discovered by me. NO!!! It stood there proudly saying: "Welcome to Doom mapping! I am STARTAN2 and I will cover the structures you make, so that you don't have to see those ugly red textures with exclamation marks. Once you figure out how to change textures, you are free to change me. But until then, I will protect you!"

Note: I still use STARTAN textures from time to time, if I like how they go with the map I am making.

2 hours ago, SOSU said:

I had the idea of a CP where everyone just uses that texture and those 2 flats in my "stupid mod idea thread"

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

We need a community project with this purpose where we can only use those 3 textures.

Done in 2015, though the limitation was phrased as "primarily" rather than "only" use those textures: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/foolstar

I still see it used well all the time. If it's in a box-like map with 4 sectors, it's clearly just some lazy crap someone slapped together but that's no fault of the texture itself. If it's used in a way that jives with the rest of the map I don't even notice it's there.