Memfis

Is STARTAN2 ruined forever?

Is STARTAN2 ruined forever?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Is STARTAN2 ruined forever?

Is Memfis ruined forever?

Only time will tell...

But seriously, no.

I once started a 4-way CTF-esque map where the default textures were basically the only ones used, with colored lighting be used to add team markers to the bases. It had some glorious STARTAN arches.

It was intended for Halloween, since, y'know, there's nothing more terrifying than a flatly-lit map with almost nothing but STARTAN.

Though seriously, I struggle to utilize the STAR textures in general because they have so many shapes that aren't cutoff friendly, and while vertically they have a lot of nice little cutoff points for various wall sizes horizontally they're generally stuck at multiples of 32 unless you want to do some SUPPORT-esque texture offsets manipulation.

we need a zdoom-compat CP where the walls, floors and ceilings can only use STARTAN2

I eat STARTAN2 for breakfast. It fills my soul and I don't feel sadnesss anymore while I retexture walls once again. Well, I prefer silver variation of STARTAN texture, it creates nice industrial feeling. 

9 hours ago, joepallai said:

I'm in the can't stand it camp; probably from it being the default texture in the editors.   

For what it's worth, SLADE 3 actually uses STONE2 and MFLR8_1 as default textures for Doom.

It's somewhat similar to D_RUNNIN, although the music one is much worse lol (and it's a good MIDI, IMO)

The default wall texture in WadC is BRICK7, so that's been similarly ruined for me.

Alright, editors should just randomly choose a default texture and flat every time a map is opened or created.

Better yet, choose a random ceiling height, floor height, brightness, and sector special whenever it can't extrapolate one from a connected sector!

12 minutes ago, Gez said:

Alright, editors should just randomly choose a default texture and flat every time a map is opened or created.

There's nothing inherently wrong with an editor always having a default texture for walls, floor, and ceiling. It's a default. You're supposed to change it. If the mapper doesn't change it, that's on them, not the texture.

So, I guess you can say I side with the "STARTAN2 is NOT ruined" crowd.

31 minutes ago, Gez said:

That's a great idea! It would be a good way to get some ideas out of nowhere. After all, starting is often the toughest part.

On 10/1/2017 at 5:35 AM, Doomkid said:

I still see it used well all the time. If it's in a box-like map with 4 sectors, it's clearly just some lazy crap someone slapped together but that's no fault of the texture itself. If it's used in a way that jives with the rest of the map I don't even notice it's there.

I agree that if it fits in with the flow of the level when it's used, then it can be perfectly good. If you play an entire level that is nothing but one texture, then that can leave a bad taste in your mouth. Unless you're DeXiaZ and you've decided to have a chuckle and allow everyone else in on the joke.

That being said, blaming the texture for the mapper's inadequacy is like the artist blaming his brush.

No, it's not ruined, and I don't get why it affects you so much that it's the default texture. I also don't get what's your problem with just using the default texture whenever it fits with the area.

Not to mention two facts:

1) There's more than just one editor available. Outside of Windows, I can't use GZDB. Default textures differ.

2) GZDB won't give you the default texture if you draw new rooms connected to already drawn areas, anyway.

there's a reason i changed the default textures in doombuilder x, as well as provided options for user-set ones and randomly-selected-on-new-map

Ruined, no.  Though if I see STARTAN3, FLOOR4_8, and CEIL 1_1 or FSKY all at once; I go in expecting a piece of lazy garbage.  (these were the defaults for DoomCAD if I recall correctly, been so long)

On 10/1/2017 at 3:29 AM, Nevander said:

We need a community project with this purpose where we can only use those 3 textures.

So it'll be like 50 Shades of Greytall?

Just now, Fuzzball said:

Wasn't there was a while back?

Dunno, but I thought of a good name for this project:

Press Startan2

;)