• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Is STARTAN2 ruined forever?

Is STARTAN2 ruined forever?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Is STARTAN2 ruined forever?

interesting; i havent ever opened an editor so i dont have that reaction when i see the texture. presumably neither does anyone else in my position 🤔

Well here's this if anyone needs it.

Perhaps after a little use, STARTAN2 will become more important again.

A8X.png.a60e61e3ec22b15668c27f9cf1abb88a.pngA16X.png.c22f39e5cbb13150383380c9055842b0.pngA32X.png.53a7d257f57dc899ae831c1a405b328f.pngA64X.png.1224c83e67c4bbcad49dd57dfaca8f00.pngA64X128.png.2395437446f49c19e1b7d7afbbe2ff98.pngA128X.png.3bd71355e8e95ec4ede6e59af01930f1.pngA128X64.png.ddeff872cdae04b0dd6bd02643e7e7a1.pngB128XSUP.png.f9ac1e265912230dfc5f96efec7351b7.png

Update:

Removed the previous file and added a wad, so it could easily be loaded in GZDB.

Also contains a test map. 

gridtex_wad.zip

Edited by Mr.Rocket : updated post..

STARTAN2 in GZdoombuilder yeah, green marble bricks and grey cubes are what I had as default in DEU, also the castle wall texture from Heretic is difficult to use without feeling wrong somehow but it's a very nice texture and Heretic's limited tileset doesn't feel that way when you get down to more detailed trims etc.

there seems like more variance in 100 textures in heretic, it's a hard thing to pin down. Some of the removed textures in doom 2 were hard to take back in the day, in particular the tekbase walls like the orange STARTAN, startan is comfy base texture : - (

I think the build engine did it well in duke3d for example, the default texture being poobricks

EDIT: Mr. Rocket those are killer, they didn't load in my browser at first. That's a sweet addition of the corner highlights for random alignments. Reminds me of dev textures in hammer

Edited by reflex17 : spelling correction

@Mr.Rocket Feels like it's missing a SUPPORTx-type marker, that's either 24x128 or a 24x128, 16x128, and a second 24x128 in a pattern. Otherwise, those're pretty nice!

On 06.10.2017 at 8:26 AM, Mr.Rocket said:

Perhaps after a little use, STARTAN2 will become more important again.

Hmmmmm, after finishing my Startan mod I should use those textures...Maybe...

Everyone knows the only real challenge in Doom mapping is really just putting textures in places where FIREBLU isn't going to be. Secrets and powerups can be handed out with care, but FIREBLU in a map? that's the real treat we're looking for... *sigh*

FIREBLU can look good if it is used well, but it often isn't. I guess the same can be said about STARTAN2 and any other texture.

True, I think a lot of textures "not only in Doom" are made to be used "with" something else or another texture that matches.

Actually when I made a shit ton of textures for Arx End of Sun, I tended to do that a lot.

The only real issue I see here with STARTAN2 is that we all have seen the texture just a few too many times when starting a new map in DB.

Funny, just recently I played through a level that made me think "this could use some startan2 instead of that white wall texture" :D

Well I must say, I like the white STARTAN texture much more than the tan one, actually it must have meant to be gray: STARGR1.

Aside from the star family textures being tech theme, I was trying to think of another use for them, especially the tan one.. So I'm thinking a couch or chair padding texture? possibly to go along with the COMP terminals.. or maybe a bucket seat for our hero's UAC space hot rod?

Some padded walls for the crazy Revenants and zombie guys? ~ STARGR1 would be more suitable for that.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I could come up with heh.

From what I remember the startan textures were based on some walls in the star wars films? The walls of the ambassador ship at the very beginning of "A New Hope" have square-ish/boxy projections... a number of the star wars games have these textures, there's a section of Dark Forces that features them heavily, from the Doom literature I belive the Startan series were meant to be like panels? Maybe that's why some have exposed sections where you can see fuses or whatever those are.

Grey Startan is MVP I agree, and again the textures in star wars that are similar are almost always white with boxy shading and small console panels. The shape on the texture does lend itself to a rounded couch/chair back shape lol I've also thought many times they look like rounded cushions that a space marine could lean against while on boring guard duty

I do realize that when you make levels, STARTAN2 is the default texture, so it feels like every wall with this texture seems unfinished - but let's face it, it's a good looking texture, I personally like it much better than the darker one from the Shores of Hell. The light gray one looks pretty good too. Overall, these are good textures.

7 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Is D_RUNNIN ruined forever? ;-)

The next big community project should have maps that use nothing but STARTAN, FIREBLU, BROWNHUG and D_RUNNIN.

When I first joined, I was confused why some people had D_RUNNIN gripes because it was an epic song that pumped me up.  Now, I kinda get it.  Still, I'm too stubborn to give up my love for it.

7 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

RUNNIN_FROM_D_RUNNIN

Idea: A custom monster that loops the opening of D_RUNNIN when it's close to you; a stalker-archetype boss monster that occupies a cat-n'-mouse style map.  The closer it is to you, the louder the D_RUNNIN.  Terrifying, right?

1 minute ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Idea: A custom monster that loops the opening of D_RUNNIN when it's close to you; a stalker-archetype boss monster that occupies a cat-n'-mouse style map.  The closer it is to you, the louder the D_RUNNIN.  Terrifying, right?

A man after my own heart!

On 01/10/2017 at 7:25 AM, DeXiaZ said:

Well, 2 weeks ago I've started a mini-project (it changes only txt files) which one changes every Doom level into unfinished Doom Builder level:

yr3K9XNl.jpg

o865C7dl.jpg

NuEydfdl.jpg

It will support also Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia, and some famous megawads.

Yes, for me STARTAN textures is ruined forever.

Wow, those screens really do make it clear just how big of a difference good texturing makes to a level. They also kinda show how simple the official levels are as well.   

I don't have the technical know-how to do it, but wouldn't it be kind of cool if the default textures were randomly picked?

I don't think that it's ruined. It's one of my favorite textures.

On 9/30/2017 at 8:50 PM, AD_79 said:

I actually recently discovered that there's a tab on the right-hand side called "draw settings" which lets you do that. It looks like this (these of course default to CEIL1_1, FLOOR0_1 and STARTAN2):

Selections in Draw Settings are not retaining for the next editing session.

To permanently start with a specific selection of flats or texture,
for those using GZDB_r1610 or later or GZDBBF, this is easily done
by making the choice in Configurations\Includes\Game_Doom.cfg.

For example

// Default textures
defaultwalltexture = "-NOFLAT-";
defaultfloortexture = "-NOFLAT-";
defaultceilingtexture = "-NOFLAT-";
Edited by Kappes Buur