Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: End Game & End Point

October, 2017

endpoint.png

> Download End Game
> Download End Point
> 2017 Season Standings

Leaderboard 

1. # Survived [0:52:07] Bloodite Krypto - No preparation, here, just familiarity. FML.
  2. # Survived [1:22:15] Veinen - Oh, sure, knock an hour off my time, why don't you!
  3. # Survived [1:27:36] RjY - Even the prepared can get spooked, as the opening to Endgame demonstrates. Still, no "deaths" for RjY.
  4. # Survived [1:45:14] Demon of the Well - Yeah, I hate that progression to the YK in Endgame map05 as well. Nicely done, Demon.
  5. # Survived [2:28:37] Alfonzo - Who is Death and just how much am I paying him? Some very close calls, here.
  6. # Survived [2:35:50] SSGmaster - Rest assured I would have disqualified this run if you'd finished faster than me :)
  7. # Survived [3:07:19] WH-Wilou84 - A little on the slow side thanks to some ghostly shenanigans, but nicely done!
  8. # 14 levelsBashe - A strong showing by Bashe who is unseated at the last by a wayward cyberdemon rocket. Blur spheres can be bad news.
  9. # 11 levelsDime - Complacency leads him down a sorry path in Endgame's map05.
  10. # 11 levels: Beginner - The baron's name is now Keith Stanley. Never trust someone with two first names.
  11. # 10 levelsScotty - The blur sphere strikes again in Endgame, an otherwise sound innings.
  12. # 10 levelsAnima Zero - Well this is a comedy of errors if ever I've seen one. Give that Endpoint arch-vile a promotion!
  13. # 10 levelsNaZa - Some dodgy timing on both counts, but killing a mancubus to allow another fireball to sail through its corpse is a classic.
  14. # 10 levelsgaspe - Welcome, gaspe. Only the second to survive Endpoint as of five attempts. Got surrounded by the YK in map04 of Endgame.
  15. # 10 levelsvdgg - If I recall correctly, I called that pain elemental "useless" because of the row of health bonuses in front of it. Whoops.
  16. # 10 levelsdt_ - Inappropriate use of the taunt button versus boss monsters. Can you say "just desserts"?
  17. # 9 levelsAncalagon - Bit off more than he could chew and couldn't spit it out in time, basically.
  18. # 9 levelsCrusader No Regret - The message just repeats. "Regret. Regret. Regret." What do you think it means?
  19. # 8 levelsNoisyVelvet - Dilly-dallied on the Endpoint elevators before storming in to die. Nice work on Endgame, at least!
  20. # 8 levelsBig Ol Billy - Welcome to the Big Time, Billy! A good effort on Endgame.
  21. # 7 levelscannonball - I'm this close to giving that baron a name. A very NaZa way to die in Endpoint, too.
  22. # 7 levelsEris Falling - Licked both sides of the coin, here. Who even needs ammo?
  23. # 6 levelsrodster - I'll take "things that go bump in the night" for 400, Alex.
  24. # 6 levels: Steve D - You outeris'd Eris! Very impressive. Thanks for the plastic pelt. (keyboard only :))
  25. # 5 levels42PercentHealth - One of the few times that dying to zombiemen can't be considered that embarrassing.
  26. # 5 levelsDaIcemann76 - Some exceptional timing on both counts, including switching weapons versus a sergeant in open space. Nervous?
  27. # 5 levelsguineu - Kill crushed imps DEAD with one of these weird tips, documented by Ledmesiter. Ghosts hate him!
  28. # 4 levelsJudgeDeadd - Vintage mancubus fireball clipping in Endgame. Halloween comes early?
  29. # 3 levelsClumsyWizard - Is this what they teach at Hogwarts' Dark Arts academy? Yer a wizard, Clumsy.
  30. # 3 levelsbzzrak - Frantic deaths in both instances. Surprisingly, it's the other hell knights that score in Endpoint.
  31. # 3 levelsdobu gabu maru - You're welcome, dobu!
  32. # 2 levelsAquasa - Not his finest moments. Had the rudiments down for dealing with that ghost demon, but, uh...
  33. # 2 levelsRathori - One missed SSG blast and the party's over; shredded by a chaingunner. The less said about Endpoint the better, too.
  34. # 2 levelsArchi - Ghost monsters and soft-locks. Must be an Archi run. (DNF)
  35. # 1 levelsSuitepee - Oh, boy. I bet an_mutt wishes he'd saved that not-quite-as-terrible attempt now, after all.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome; it could change the way you play Doom!

In October 2017 the DWIronman League dies to End Game and End Point, -complevel 2 (Doom (strict)), two limit-removing episodes for Doom 2 that, despite their names, are unrelated in almost every way but length. End Game (8 maps) is a lesser-known collection from some of the most celebrated level designers of the early '00s, including Alm, Pallai and Szymanski; End Point (7 maps) is a recent chapter in the ever-expanding catalog of eternal ideas. Both have their moments of difficulty and present with some drastic switch-ups in style, so don't get too comfortable!

As with the DWIronman challenge in May, you can choose to tackle either set first and there is no obligation to carry through onto the second set in the same sitting. Ranking will be determined by collective levels beaten and time taken. Be sure to package both your demos into the one zip file. Memfis has also compiled this unofficial music wad to run alongside End Game, which has no new music of its own.

Potential Game-stoppers and Bugs

• End Game Map02: You can get soft-locked in the opening room of the level if you do not move through the door (W1 Door Open Wait Close (fast)) before it closes (confirmed in prboom+).
prboom-plus -file endgame.wad -complevel 2 -warp -skill 4 -record my_demo

Spoiler
  • One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+ and GLBoom), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No auto-loaded wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point. This includes "scouting ahead" for map details "just to check on something."
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If you die for any reason, tough luck! Your little brother snuck into your room while you were paused and getting tea and walked your marine into an inescapable pit? Brilliant. You went to answer the doorbell but knocked over your mug of hot chocolate and a baron ripped your arm off? Walk it off, hot stuff! You're through.
  • If your operating system fails during the run such that the stream/recording becomes irretrievable, you are permitted a second or subsequent attempt offline. Technical difficulties during streams or recordings that present as merely an impediment (i.e. the run is still observable, in the case of a stream) do not count as system failures. In these instances, you should save the game, if possible, and resume when the issue has been resolved.
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • In the event that the leaders are tied having died on the same map, the player to have arrived at the map of death in the fastest time will be deemed the winner.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)
Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)
Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Unholy Realms (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an update.

Yey, another blind dual mapset! This will be fun! :) 

Edited by NaZa : Edited bc it looked like sarcasm

Ah, the glorious memories... this'll be a blast to go through.

IIRC, there's no map-stuck areas.

Edited by ClumsyWizard : There were boobs.

Thanks for this, Memfis. I usually play with -nomusic for Ironman runs, anyway, but for a MIDI rendition of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You I may have made an exception.

During my testrun, found out you can get stuck in MAP02 because I think the very first door is open once only.

Endgame: dead on MAP08

Endpoint: on MAP04

I played most of Endgame maps before or at least I remembered how they were. MAP03 had me wondering what to do for like 20 minutes (final time: 30 minutes), there were no problems until MAP05 (missed that ledge run) and MAP08 which I remembered as a stupid slaughter map, and I never bothered finishing it before. So a cyber rocket out of nowhere ended the run.

Endpoint: Never played this before. Oops, Eternal. I am not a big fun of him despite some brilliant maps here and there. Some obnoxious monster placement and dickish traps, that's how I view Eternal's maps, sorry. This started promising though, with a very pleasant first map and a MarsWar MIDI. My mistake was to play with a bit of fatigue and finally MAP04 got me, and it wasn't a difficult map... I really like this mapset, will play the rest one day.

end-ironman-vdgg.zip

I'm pretty sure Endgame isn't Doom (strict) compat, as Map 06 has a random push sector nukage trail in it.

Also I'm streaming this tonight, whee!

12 minutes ago, an_mutt said:

I'm pretty sure Endgame isn't Doom (strict) compat, as Map 06 has a random push sector nukage trail in it.

Yeah, I noticed this — think it's mentioned in the text file. It functions fine in -cl2, so I've listed it mostly as the rock bottom requirement on principle. Maybe that's the wrong call, though? The illegal comp settings bracket is only wheeled out when shit breaks, now, anyway.

Stuck on map02 in ENDGAME. Died to ghosts on map02 in ENDPOINT. Your wad picks are getting better and better.

shit.zip

1 hour ago, NaZa said:

During my testrun, found out you can get stuck in MAP02 because I think the very first door is open once only.

@Alfonzo you should probably put that in the main post seeing as there's already a victim

Endgame - Survived in 1:04:15

Endpoint - Died on map 3

Endgame I remember playing on some survival sesh some time ago so I had a vague idea of how all the maps played out.  Still didn't help me in one map where I spent several minutes around the 5-30 health zone.  At the very least, I survived on one of the mapsets this month.

Endpoint was going fine at first.  Then, I think I'm clever by luring one of the viles past the rk door out and sneaking by the other one in map 3.  Turns out they planned for that with a third vile and a couple rev buddies.  Didn't have enough rockets to blast them aside easily and, with my infinite smartpants decision, think I can manage with my SSG there rather than try to go back up the elevator and clear things out there first.  Ayup, the one time I really go aggressive and it bites me in the rear.

DWIronman_Endgame_Endpoint_AnimaZero.zip

Endgame: died on MAP04

Endpoint: survived in 1:16:35

First time I try this, it's a very fun way to play. I already played Endpoint when I wrote the newstuff review for it, so I knew what to expect in some points. I'm sure that there are many players better than me that will do a better time, in fact I played very safely and also lost time here and there to search for health and stuff. Its not a very difficult mapset, and after a while I started to realize which tricks Eternal use often here.

I've never played Endgame, it's quite some time since it's in my folder of wads to play, it looks like a cool mapset I'll play it all later. I tried to be a bit more aggressive and fast here. Lol on MAP02 when I made that straferun to the BK I thought that there was a secret area there, and I didn't think I would make that jump anyway. While searching for the BK/YK in MAP03 I wasn't sure if I was actually making progress or finding more secrets. I think I was a bit too confident when I died on MAP04, I wasn't expecting something like that.

whynot.zip

Endgame: Dead on MAP08

Endpoint: LÒÖÓL

Quite enjoyed Endgame, just the right level of difficulty for me. MAP05 and 06 had me quite unnerved, and I had a bit of an existential crisis after finding out how you're supposed to kill the cyberdemon on MAP05...and MAP06 nearly killed me off, thank god for that soulsphere.

So what the fuck is up with MAP08? It's like the actual WAD is the main 7 maps and then the author just tacked on one of those 'lol thanks for playing here's some bullshit' that some WADs do. In other WADs at least it's obvious those aren't actual serious maps you're supposed to be able to play. Ah whatever, 7 maps survived on one WAD is good enough - or at least it would have been had I....ahem.

Remember an_mutt in Legacy of Heroes? It's just happened again.

Oh and if anyone actually bothers to watch these full videos - nothing happens between like 28:40 and 31:25, got interrupted there.

End Game: Dead on MAP03. Ghost monsters are probably the biggest indication my run is fucked.
End Point: MAP01. Alright, I did it.

I tried being more aggressive than I ever was in the previous months, just to see what would happen. Not exactly my finest moments.

I'll have to look at End Game at least, I was having some good fun there.

end_iron_aqua.zip

So, I join the 10 level survivors. For clearance, yes, I was formerly known as DoomLover234.

ENDPOINT - MAP06. Reflexes stopped functioning as soon as that Vile with his buddie Revv unexpectedly teleported. Also included: MAP04's end sequence which I somehow lived through and 2 minutes of wandering about in MAP05 with 1 HP!

ENDGAME - MAP06 as well, a more embarrassing death that could've been avoided tbh. Was pretty nervous throughout the map anyway... and tried to chaingun two Mancubi, would've worked, but as one died the other one just fired its last fireball... Got to MAP06 in about 35 min which is a pretty good time I think, unless you're a Top 5 regular.

woah.png

ENDx_NaZa.zip

Tried Endgame for the first time (it's a blind one) and I did quite well, despiting that I died on map 08. Played on GZD 3.1.0

I had to ask some help regarding map 05 for the progress though.

endgame1.zip

Tomorrow, I'll try Endpoint...

Survived both sets in a total of 2:28:37, woo! Probably quite slow but it should still sit me in good stead come the end of the month. I didn't prepare at all in advance and went in blind for roughly half of Endpoint, which I'd played only as part of a survival session a few months ago. Endgame (which came second) I had played in its entirety a couple of times but only as recently as two or three years ago. Not bad! Give yourself a little pat on the back.

Some highlights:

Spoiler

• The first of four near-death experiences came in map05 of Endpoint. There's that arch-vile trap by the fenced indoor area, which I suppose you're meant to sort out by doubling back into the previous room or at least turning around to fight once you've reached the opposite corner. I did neither; got hemmed in by its ressed cronies in a watery cul-de-sec. Only the few extra rockets I had saved my ass.
  • Endgame map03. Deceptively difficult, I think. It's pretty damn labyrinthine, and if you get yourself in a bad spot you can only end up burrowing your way deeper into trouble. I got clawed down to 4% health in a shitty drop-down situation and then completely ran out of ammo. Guerrilla tactics to the rescue, baby. Should have been curtains.
  • Endgame map06. Cyber rocket to the face. 13% health and no armor. Heart was kicking like a rabbit.
  • Endgame map08. Basically the entirety of the first three or so minutes, although getting caught out by the legion hell knights was probably the closest call.

Computer went through BSOD hell for a bit, had to recover my Doom drive... and my main pwads got corrupted... I -really- hope this doesn't qualify as a illegal comp, but hey... extra credit for doing this mostly blind without any textures being drawn?

Endpoint: Map 2, died in a corner by a Hell Knight.

Endgame: Map 3... I have no idea what the hell happened..

Edited by ClumsyWizard

9 hours ago, ClumsyWizard said:

Computer went through BSOD hell for a bit, had to recover my Doom drive... and my main pwads got corrupted... I -really- hope this doesn't qualify as a illegal comp

I'll wave it through, sure. Flagging runs as illegal is more when an attempt isn't made to curb advantages by aligning the port as best it can with boom or vanilla behavior. This one only puts you at a disadvantage, really, and although that allows for the possibility of disrupting the points system... well, as was discussed recently, we're not that serious a comp.

I have to ask, though, why not re-download the wads if you thought they were corrupted? Did you check the display settings to see if perhaps your config files were messed with? I'm not totally familiar with what sort of shenanigans can happen, here, but I'd be surprised if all of your textures being whited out was the only thing affected, or that that could be a result in the first place.

Edited by Alfonzo

Config files were fine, everything looked fine in the display settings.

Plus I was feeling a bit masochistic earlier so I didn't bother to actually fix it.

I did get the issue fixed. Redownloaded the source port fixed it, but didn't delete the config file. I'll just figure it was part of the victim list for BSOD and drive corruption.

I'll just go through it again for fun with the textures..

I have to say it's been a treat watching the videos of you guys playing through Endgame.  I've never seen anyone play my maps in this set before so it was particularly interesting (dare I say enlightening even).   Sorry for map02, that was something small I had made for something else and uh....yeah....

End Game - died on MAP08

End Point - survived in 1:23:56

End Game I feel went pretty well until map08. That felt like a non-sequitur after the other ones, but I tried to take it carefully and unfortunately got put right in the perfect line of sight of the Cyberdemon attempting to escape some chaos and got nailed. Shame about that one.

End Point started much rougher and was generally less well-played by me. Some of those traps are a doozy, but I managed to survive it overall, to my surprise.

I enjoyed these mapsets for this month. They have a difficulty I would consider right up my alley, and despite some nasty traps, weren't too hateful overall. End Point really gave me an odd sense of nostalgia with its 90s-feeling maps and midis, along with that sky texture. I like that kind of charm. End Game had some cool designs as well.

I did these both blind except for a very quick glimpse of MAP08 of End Game from Eris' video.

ironman-october.zip